The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-03-2022, 04:27 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I had a drug interaction (Statins) and could barely play so I retrenched to my ES-335 with .054 jumbo frets. The high frets require a less fretting pressure or the strings pull sharp and that was just what I needed. Were I to ever face it again I'd trot an acoustic off to my luthier/tech, get it refretted with jumbo frets, and run extra light acoustic strings (.10) on it.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 06-05-2022, 08:28 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveform View Post
Iv got some hand issues and need something easier to play. Iv set my action incredible low on my marton d1 and am wondering what the effect of putting electric strings on it and if it would play like an electric guitar. This is only playability, not sound at all.

Thoughts?
One thing has nothing to do with the other.

I use .013-.056 gauge sets on my electric….basically the same gauge I use on my acoustics.

The difference is one is nickel wound for magnetic pickups and the other is phosphor bronze for a particular acoustic tone.

I’ve used pure nickel electric strings on my acoustics with excellent results, albeit with a very different tonality.

You can use extra light bronze strings if you want more suppleness, but it may be something altogether different that you actually need.

Lower action and lighter strings don’t always add up to your hand feeling more comfortable.

Best,
Howard Emerson
Old 06-10-2022, 01:58 AM

Hey, WaveForm! Having just read this thread I would suggest you put classical strings on your guitar. No amp or electronics needed to be able to play in standard tuning in comfort. Ernie Ball/ Ernesto Palla strings also come with ball ends for easy change out... with black trebles that look great. Will sound like a crossover nylon on your steel string acoustic. Comfort is the key here for dexterity.
Old 06-10-2022, 06:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
It might play like an electric.

It might also sound like garbage.
Thanks for my daily chuckle...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 06-17-2022, 01:01 PM

Not usually on this sub forum but here goes.

Electric strings are made with materials to enable the pickups to work better. Not necessarily the best for an acoustic.

I play mostly acoustic now and I keep lowering the action till it buzzes and back off a touch. I will get a buzz once in awhile when I dig in to hard with a pick.

The gage I use is 11-52. The Elixir's are coated and the Ernie Ball Earthwood's are not. I tried going to 10's but it was just to bright for me.

I see where some folks suggested Martin Silk and Steel. Those are fantastic strings, they play easy because of the low string tension and sound good. My great niece uses them and as not had any problems.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 06-17-2022, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith_C View Post
One of my guitars has GHS Silk and Steel strings...
Many, many years ago, when I was first learning to play guitar, there weren't a lot of string choices, and I think the only brand of silk and steel strings was LaBella. They saved my not-fully-callused fingers. The OP might find that medium gauge (12) or light gauge (11) silk and steel will solve his problem without having to go to 9s or 10s.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 06-17-2022, 05:37 PM

In my own search for strings, I landed on Martin Silk and Steel for a while...I really liked the playability of them, but they were a bit brighter than I like.

I then found these: FX.jpg

Very easy on the fingers, make bends and slides a breeze, & hammer on and pull-offs sound great. And I really like the tone being just a bit more mellow than the steel.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars