The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-21-2018, 07:33 AM

Default Frustrated: Cheaper Guitar Sounds Better Live

I have two acoustic guitars, both are imported Guild dreadnoughts. At home, better (prettier, more expensive) guitar, a sunburst D-140 Westerly collection (spruce/mahogany) sounds fantastic . . . loud, rich, and articulate. My lesser (cheaper) guitar, a D-125 GAD (all mahogany) sounds good, but not as loud or nuanced as the other one.

When I play out, I generally use a clamp-on K&K meridian mic. The D-125 sounds fantastic through the PA or my acoustic amp. The D-140, not so much. With plenty of experimentation with mic placement and EQ, and playing it with a lot of restraint, I can get it to sound pretty good . . . but the all mahogany guitar just shines amplified . . . like no other guitar I've owned. I'm speculating its the result of the inherent compression from the mahogany top.

I play at a church tomorrow. I really want to use my nicer guitar, but I will probably use the lesser one. Just venting because I would rather use the nice guitar that I enjoy a lot . . . but I want to sound my best . . . so I will use the lesser one. Anybody else in my boat?

Last edited by Big*Al; 07-21-2018 at 08:19 AM.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:41 AM

Often times - a "lesser" more overbuilt guitar will shine when amplified. They are generally more well behaved on stage than a lightly built responsive guitar which shines unamplified.

So you have 1 guitar that's a winner on stage and another that's a winner unplugged... Seems like you hit the jackpot.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckjohn View Post
Often times - a "lesser" more overbuilt guitar will shine when amplified.
If weight is any indication, the D-120 is definitely more heavily built.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:50 AM

Price is never an indication of better performence under all conditions.

Whatever instrument sounds good to your ears under the conditions you will use it...that’s the keeper!
Old 07-21-2018, 08:01 AM

I've often found guitars that are a little dead acoustically work better with pick up and on-board mics.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:03 AM

Well another reason that I want to play the better one is that the cheaper all-hog Guild is cherry red. It's a great '70s vintage look that I love . . . but sometimes I feel a little odd playing a red guitar in a church setting. Something more subdued seems more appropriate to me. Maybe I could go out today and buy a can of brown spray paint.

Last edited by Big*Al; 07-21-2018 at 08:15 AM.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big*Al View Post
Well another reason that I want to play the better one is that the cheaper all-hog Guild is cherry red. It's a great '70s vintage look that I love . . . but sometimes I feel a little odd playing a red guitar in a church setting. Something more subdued seems more appropriate to me.
Guess it depends on your denomination, but red is widely used in many.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Guess it depends on your denomination, but red is widely used in many.
In my denomination, we do use colors a lot to signify different seasons, etc. The cherry red stain is more of a burgundy red, so it probably looks more classy than flashy. I'd still rather just blend into the woodwork though . . . with a woodwork colored guitar.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:18 AM

How do you know it doesn't sound better to the audience? I've found that sitting and playing with the guitar can sound different than being in the audience.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:26 AM

There is a reason all mahogany guitars are so popular among acoustic/electric players. They tend to behave really well amplified, thanks to that natural compression you mentioned.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiousDevil View Post
There is a reason all mahogany guitars are so popular among acoustic/electric players. They tend to behave really well amplified, thanks to that natural compression you mentioned.
I totally agree with this.
I sold a Rosewood Dread for that very reason. Did not play well with amplification.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-21-2018, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big*Al View Post
Well another reason that I want to play the better one is that the cheaper all-hog Guild is cherry red. It's a great '70s vintage look that I love . . . but sometimes I feel a little odd playing a red guitar in a church setting. Something more subdued seems more appropriate to me. Maybe I could go out today and buy a can of brown spray paint.
Ha! I play a Hot Rod Red Fender Bass at church quite often. Go for it.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
How do you know it doesn't sound better to the audience? I've found that sitting and playing with the guitar can sound different than being in the audience.
I've made sound board recordings and where I'll play tomorrow, they have a really nice vertical line array PA system. It's a fun place to play because thee choir area sits right in the mix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiousDevil View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I totally agree with this.
I sold a Rosewood Dread for that very reason. Did not play well with amplification.
Understood and agreed. I traded off a rosewood dreadnought to get the mahogany one. The new one is more balanced than the one I traded off but not as even sounding as the all-mahogany one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Growler View Post
Ha! I play a Hot Rod Red Fender Bass at church quite often. Go for it.
Sounds great fun! Just remember that a bass player must also wear a hat, exhibit a far-off facial expression, and nod his head to the beat.

In the interest of science, I just put some brass pins in my D-140. They seemed to reduce the thump and smooth out the sound. I'll make a couple of recordings later using the Meridian and I'll see if it helped or hurt. I'll still probably use the red one.

Last edited by Big*Al; 07-21-2018 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:17 PM

I'm not familiar with that K&K mic, but Why not try putting something like a K&K mini in your "nicer" acoustic. I have found they make everything sound good (even my Martin DX1 HPL B/S guitar) and they don't feedback very easily.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
I'm not familiar with that K&K mic, but Why not try putting something like a K&K mini in your "nicer" acoustic. I have found they make everything sound good (even my Martin DX1 HPL B/S guitar) and they don't feedback very easily.
I have experience with the K&K pure mini and I still have one in my D-125. People love them and I've heard them sound okay in some guitars. Even using the proprietary K&K preamp, I still prefer the Meridian mic. I'll leave the mini in that one guitar just in case I want to use it someday.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion