The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 10-02-2023, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovin' Geo View Post
Hi Glenn,
Thanks for the welcome. Iím not really new here but seldom post. That was quite the storm you weathered! I read the article about that storm - it sounds like the type of squall that Stan sang about. This article https://admiralcloudberg.medium.com/...7-7ea7923e76d8
describes the horrific plane crash and fire that took 23 of 46 passengerís lives, including Stan on June 2, 1983.
I first learned 45 years and Field Behind the Plow back in 1982, the year I got married. Still sing it with my wife now, almost 45 years later.
Iím currently reading ďNight GuardĒ by Stanís brother Garnet Rogers. Itís about their time together, as brothers and as touring musicians.
George
Hi George,

Thank you for that article on the DC-9 fire on the ground in Cincinnati. It's a really heart breaking story. I knew that was how Stan Rogers died, but this article was really quite a bit more detailed than anything I head read before. What a terrible shame.

My wife and I used to sing together, for a while professionally. We are probably a little older than you as we got married in 1970. We've been married now for 53 years.

Thanks so much for your knowledgeable response here. It's all very sobering.

- Glenn
Old 10-03-2023, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

I was not aware of the artist or the song, very nice! As usual, great vocal, playing, recording! Ya did it again, Glenn!
Old 10-03-2023, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveMusic View Post
I was not aware of the artist or the song, very nice! As usual, great vocal, playing, recording! Ya did it again, Glenn!
Thank you Bill!

How nice of you to take time to listen and comment! Much appreciated.

Yes, this song and artist were new to me, too. I don't know how I missed Stan Rogers' music or his life story.

I hope all is well for you Bill!

- Glenn
Old 10-06-2023, 05:16 AM

Nice job as always, Glenn. I haven't heard anything by Stan Rogers in a long, long time.

D.H.
Old 10-06-2023, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hicks View Post
Nice job as always, Glenn. I haven't heard anything by Stan Rogers in a long, long time.

D.H.
Thanks Dave,

I appreciate your listening and taking time to comment here.

Yes, I had never even heard of Stan Rogers until my grandson mentioned his music.

I hope all is well for you, Dave.

- Glenn
Old 10-06-2023, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post

I learned of this song, released in 1984, from my daughter and my grandson just recently and decided to cover this song in honor of my grandson's birthday. So this song is dedicated to Henry! This is quite a dramatic song about the dangers of commercial shipping on the Great Lakes in North America from the white squall, a meteorological phenomenon of a sudden violent gale out on the lakes generated in the midst of a very warm calm.

I used a standard tuned guitar (it shows up on the left) and a Nashville high-strung guitar (which shows up on the right) for this song and also added some single note lines for the instrumental sections to get close to the sound that Stan Rogers achieved in the studio. Stan Rogers' music was well loved in Canada, his home. He was born a year later than I was, but died young at age 33 in a tragic loss.

If you are interested in either the chords or lyrics here is a link: https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab...chords-1744854 Stan Rogers played this song with a capo on the 2nd fret; I played it with capo on the 4th fret to suit my voice a little better.

By way of background, I grew up on the southern edge of Lake Erie just west of Cleveland, OH. So I grew up watching the huge ore boats and lake freighters going back and forth on the lake. The town Wiarton referenced in the chorus of the song is in Ontario on the east side of Lake Huron, straight north of where I grew up. My mother's uncles (my grand uncles) were all engineers on the ore boats of the Great Lakes. When Stan Rogers referred to "the Sault" in the first and last verses of the song, he was referring to Sault Ste. Marie in Michigan, along the water passage between Lake Huron and Lake Superior.

I think this is a beautifully crafted song. I hope you like this; thanks for listening.

- Glenn

Glenn in another life I can see you as a travelling song writer going from town to town!!- your tunes and arrangements get better and better - congratulations

btw have you ever seen the movie?

Website
|
Downloads | Youtube | Soundcloud
Guitars : Yairi CY118 │ Maton M225 │ Taylor GC11
Recording│Sony SX712Sound Forge | Sony Vegas
Old 10-06-2023, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejazzx View Post
Glenn in another life I can see you as a travelling song writer going from town to town!!- your tunes and arrangements get better and better - congratulations

btw have you ever seen the movie?
Hi Steve,

Thank you for watching and for your kind comments!

No, I have not seen the movie. Is it good? I'm always on the watch for a good movie.

I hope all is well for you Steve. I really enjoyed your recent composition! Very nice!

- Glenn
Old 10-06-2023, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Hi Steve,

Thank you for watching and for your kind comments!

No, I have not seen the movie. Is it good? I'm always on the watch for a good movie.

I hope all is well for you Steve. I really enjoyed your recent composition! Very nice!

- Glenn
Thanks Glenn,

The movie is epic - I think - although I remember it fondly from my younger years! I sound like an old man
Great one to watch with sons, daughters etc

Website
|
Downloads | Youtube | Soundcloud
Guitars : Yairi CY118 │ Maton M225 │ Taylor GC11
Recording│Sony SX712Sound Forge | Sony Vegas
Old 10-06-2023, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Thanks Dave,

I appreciate your listening and taking time to comment here.

Yes, I had never even heard of Stan Rogers until my grandson mentioned his music.

I hope all is well for you, Dave.

- Glenn
There was a year (quite a while ago) when I was under-employed. My two theme songs that year were Stan Rogers's "Mary Ellen Carter" and Rev. Gary Davis's "I'll Be All Right". (Two tunes I ought to learn... hmmm... )

D.H.
Old 10-06-2023, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hicks View Post
There was a year (quite a while ago) when I was under-employed. My two theme songs that year were Stan Rogers's "Mary Ellen Carter" and Rev. Gary Davis's "I'll Be All Right". (Two tunes I ought to learn... hmmm... )

D.H.
Hi Dave,

I have listened to the "Mary Ellen Carter" song. I will go check out Rev. Gary Davis's "I'll Be All Right". Thanks for the feedback! Be well out there!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell