The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-19-2022, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

Default Fuzzy strings - D'addario XT

Friends, on my new to me Merrill OM the seller mounted D'addario XT (80/20, I assume). I have been playing them for the past three weeks or so, and just noticed these tiny hairs at the portion of G that transverses the tone hole. Only the G string. As I have never used coated strings before, is this a normal phenomenon, and does it indicate the need to replace? The strings, again, are only three weeks old, or so.
Thanks.
Davuid
Old 05-19-2022, 11:10 AM

Normal..

it's the coating shredding off the string

coated strings do this, Elixirs for example are very noticeable.

the G string, as it turns out, is probably one of the strings that is hit the most.

so it's naturally seeing more wear than the other strings, but eventually all the wound strings will show some signs of wear w/coated strings

they will still sound fine, and be ok.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 05-19-2022, 11:30 AM

Are you sure they are not the xs strings? I've never seen any shedding with the xt strings. Has anyone else noticed shedding with the xt strings specifically?

As far as I understand the xt strings are treated much the same as the exp, before they are wound. The xs has a similar coating to the other coated strings, like elixir.
Old 05-19-2022, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Yes, usually shows up on the G string first. I play finger style, mostly with Elixir Nanowebs. The G string always get contact with a fingernail while the thicker strings are more likely to get the fleshy part of the thumb. So the G gets the most wear. I use the amount of fuzziness to tell when I need to change strings. Seems like it shows up in 6-8 weeks or so.
Old 05-19-2022, 12:11 PM

I didn't notice any of that with XS's.
Old 05-19-2022, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhino41 View Post
Are you sure they are not the xs strings? I've never seen any shedding with the xt strings. Has anyone else noticed shedding with the xt strings specifically?

As far as I understand the xt strings are treated much the same as the exp, before they are wound. The xs has a similar coating to the other coated strings, like elixir.
Thanks for the answers. The seller told me the strings he mounted are XT.
David
Old 05-19-2022, 06:25 PM
Charter Member

I believe the XT strings are treated and the XS are coated?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 05-20-2022, 06:51 AM

I can’t comment on the new D’Addario strings as I haven’t tried them yet (have a few packets waiting for next string changes!).

As others have said, it’s a known phenomenon with coated strings: I had this issue with EXPs and still have it with Elixir. Apart from looking unsightly I didn’t experience any significant loss of tone or playability but it’s why I went over to Cleartone and Lifespan (with Cleartone process) for a long while.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 05-20-2022, 06:53 AM

Default Fuzzy strings - D'addario XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I believe the XT strings are treated and the XS are coated?

Just had a look on their website: you are correct!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 05-20-2022, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

OP here. Obliged for the replies. As to coated or not, D'Addario says:

What is the difference between XT and XS?
XT and XS are coated using two different methods. Because of that, XT strings last longer than standard non-coated strings, and XS strings last longer than XT.

XT is made with a treated wrap wire, which results in an extended lifespan over similar non-treated strings, as well as a natural feel.

XS is coated using a film coating which generally lasts even longer— delivering maximum string life—and affords a smooth feel.

David
Old 05-20-2022, 11:28 AM

I've had the same thing with XT strings. In my experience, it's just cosmetic and doesn't really require replacing unless you don't like the look of it enough to want it gone.

For me, the feel on the two unwound strings went first.
Old 05-20-2022, 12:41 PM

I've used at least a hundred sets of exp's and never once saw any type of shedding whatsoever. I've also used a dozen sets of the xt and again never seen any shedding. From my understanding the treatment isn't the same thing as the type of coating that is used on elixers or the xs.

I am curious about others experiences with the exp and xt sets shedding. Can anyone experiencing this post a picture? I'm not doubting anyone, I've personally never seen it, and could stand to learn something new.

I have experienced some shedding on some of the strings of all the sets of xs I have tried, particularly the g string. They sound great so I never cared.
Old 05-20-2022, 01:11 PM

I've seen it on Elixir. It took me a really long time for it to happen and it was mostly just cosmetic.

I have never seen it on any D'addario string. EXP/XT/XS. I just put my first set of XS strings on my acoustic guitar this week and they seem fantastic but they're too new... if it was anything like Elixir it would take months before I would see a frayed coating.

I like the feel of both XT and XS better than Elixir so far. Very nice strings.
Old 05-20-2022, 01:59 PM

Yep, this happens sometimes. It's somewhere on my list of reasons why I never use treated or coated strings, but it's a personal choice of course. To each his own...
Old 05-20-2022, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhino41 View Post

with the XS, I noticed a little bit, but honestly it was after 5 months of use.

Elixirs shred for me after about 4 weeks.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion