The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-19-2022, 05:25 AM

Default Low tension strings

Can anyone recommend some low tension strings? If you use them, what is your favorite brand?
Old 05-19-2022, 05:56 AM

Troub - I think you’ll see three brands come up regularly:
  • Santa Cruz Parabolic Low Tension
  • Straight Up Strings Low Tension
  • DR Sunbeams

It may be obvious, but any string set can be made low tension by tuning down a half step and using a capo as necessary. And, if your fingers still complain, you could always switch to a nylon stringed guitar.

Rick
Old 05-19-2022, 06:01 AM
Charter Member

I'll add GHS Thin Core Strings to the list above.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 05-19-2022, 06:17 AM
Charter Member

I just recently started using the Santa Cruz Parabolic low tension strings and really like them on my IRIS DF Smeck. Last night I put the same strings on my Martin CS OM-18 and so far they are great on that guitar as well. They aren't cheap but they do seem to produce good results. Very balanced, mellow tone as compared to D'addario XS strings that I normally use on these guitars.

I've got a few sets of medium tension that I want to try on my dreads, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
Old 05-19-2022, 06:25 AM
Charter Member

Thomastik Infeld Plectrums in the 11-50 gauge are the most comfortable low tension steel strings I have ever played and while I try others, I keep coming back to them. The combination of low tension and a gorgeous and very balanced tone are the primary pros. There are only two cons IME. The first is price but I find they do last VERY long. I had four guitars strung with 11-50 Plectrums for over 6 months and just changed them last month. The second is that these are not loud strings so don't expect them to stand out at a bluegrass jam. I play mostly fingerstyle and some flatpicking (fiddle tunes) and really enjoy these strings.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 05-19-2022, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
Thomastik Plectrums in the 11-50 gauge are the most comfortable low tension strings I have ever played and while I try others, I keep coming back to them.
+++ but in my experience the Earthwood Silk and Steel of the comparable gauge ("extra soft" I think) are very similar. And for me the round winding on the G string lasts longer than the very thin flat winding on the Plectrum G. The Earthwoods should be considerably cheaper in the US.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 05-19-2022, 06:44 AM

Another Santa Cruz user here, love those strings on everything I have put them on.
2003 Gibson J-45
2011 Flammang J-55
2015 Gibson J-45TV
2019 Martin D-18 39A
2021 Martin HD-28V Adi
2021 Gibson J-185 52 Historic
Old 05-19-2022, 06:45 AM

Newtone Heritage are low tension - actually like 35#s less then comparable light gauges from say - Martin.
{The GHS listed above are similar at 138# = 20-30# lighter.}
I haven't used them however.

Martin Titanium are around 8# lighter {160#}, and Martin Retros are 6# lighter{162#} than their PB sets {168#}. Might say something about Monel/Nickle wrap, and Ti core...also note Ti is supposedly more flexible than steel core.

Both of these I really like.

Also, though not specifically lower tension - Martin Flex and most round core strings should FEEL like less tension a bit.

If anyone actually has the tension for DRs - Id love to see it!

**info for light gauge - +/- 12-53

Last edited by jmjohnson; 05-19-2022 at 07:09 AM.
Old 05-19-2022, 06:45 AM

Straight Up Strings. Great sound, great feel, great longevity.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 05-19-2022, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
Troub - I think you’ll see three brands come up regularly:
  • Santa Cruz Parabolic Low Tension
  • Straight Up Strings Low Tension
  • DR Sunbeams

It may be obvious, but any string set can be made low tension by tuning down a half step and using a capo as necessary. And, if your fingers still complain, you could always switch to a nylon stringed guitar.

Rick
These are my faves, as well.
Old 05-19-2022, 07:23 AM

I'm using GHS Silk and Steel, light, 10-42, and also GHS Thin Core Phosphor Bronze, ultra light, 10-41.

I like them both, and the Silk and Steel set does sound different from the Phosphor Bronze set.

I'm glad to see other suggestions here to - I'm going check them out!
Old 05-19-2022, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
I'll add GHS Thin Core Strings to the list above.
Yes I keep GHS Thin Core Lights on my Martin OM18A which noticeably reduces the tension but still sounds on par with regular lights.
Old 05-19-2022, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Another vote for Santa Cruz Low Tension. I also recommend Martin Flex Core. Good luck!
Old 05-19-2022, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

D'addario Silk and Steel lights. Inexpensive enough to give them a try. I find them about on par with Martin's equivalent. I tried Santa Cruz low tension strings and found them to be pretty similar to regular light PBs.
Silk and Steels coupled with short scale plays like butter. Mind you I play mostly blues/jazz and folky fingerstyle. Can't imagine them being the best for bluegrass and heavy playing styles.
Old 05-19-2022, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

I'll echo the straight up strings lights, they're what I have bent on now and I like them a lot. I checked them out as a preview of what I might expect from SC parabolics, and note, the SUS low tension are nearly 20# less total tension than the SC lows.

I've had a set of Martin Ti strings mounted, and didn't think much of them, I know their tension isn't materially different than Martin light gauge, however to me they felt harder to play. Take that with all appropriate grains of salt.

My next sets going on will be D'addario half rounds and Thomastik (silk) Spectrums, with how long strings last me, this may take me out to when I receive my SC OM, at which point I'll put SC parabolics on both for blindfold a/b. .. or if any of them just seem right out wrong, I'll swap in a set of SUS mediums.

[EDIT] The best thing I've done for easing playing on the electric side / first fret has been adjusting action at the nut. Based on the recent thread about that, I'm going to try taking that guitar down to .004" from the current .007" and if it works, then I'll try the same on the OM-28. If *that* is a go, I'll make a new TUSQ nut for her with wider spacing as well.

While I felt the Martin was good at 0.007", all the electric necks I've had were far higher, and harder for me to play accordingly.

Last edited by Sadie-f; 05-19-2022 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Action

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion