The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-19-2022, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aK_bAsh7 View Post
I've encountered varying descriptions of the neck feel on the Collings D1: it's been described both as "slim" and "medium-to-chunky". I'm talking about their standard modified v with 1 11/16 nut.

I'm seriously contemplating buying a D1 with 1 11/16 nut but as I've always had difficulty finding comfortable necks, I'd prefer to get a better handle (so to speak) on the Collings neck before actually parting with any cash.

Can anybody tell me how the Collings neck compares to the neck on Bourgeois dreads ?

I have good-sized palms but somewhat short fingers. Most "medium" necks are too big for me. the Bourgeois is quite comfortable despite the slightly wider nut.

Thanks!
The Collings neck is a bit fuller than the Bourgeois, as already mentioned. Whether it is a Traditional or Standard D1, I personally find the 1 11/16" to be very comfortable. Enough heft to get some leverage, but not too chunky where it becomes a handful.
Old 05-19-2022, 10:11 AM

@catdaddy

I'm inclined to accord measurements such as those provided by Rev_Roy the highest priority, moving forward and pass on the D1.

I've already auditioned and returned one guitar and can't afford to repeat this scenario multiple times.

I will look for a Bourgeois, as I'm familiar with the neck. Hopefully, this time I can find one that pleases my ear as well as my hand.
Old 05-19-2022, 10:36 AM

Make the drive! It's a day trip and well worth it to land the right fit. For me there's so much involved in getting the correct feel... nut width and thickness are just part of it. The whole thing is quite a matter of specific personal preference, IMO.

My experience with Bourgeois is limited. OTOH, I have played lots of Collings guitars. My take — I do not have large hands, so slimmer profiles should be favorable. Given that, I find the D1 neck to be super comfortable. Oddly enough, my absolute favorite neck is on my OM Traditional series. It's a bit meatier than the standard carve, but happens to fit what I like to do. I'd also note that Collings has the standard carve, T series neck, and Vintage Now neck. And on the T series, I believe there are actually more than one profile. I played a T series CJ-45 recently, expecting it to match the OM and was surprised to find it a bit chunkier than what I was accustomed to (specs on their website confirm the difference). So again, the takeaway is to try it out if there's any way humanly possible.
Old 05-19-2022, 03:01 PM

@catdaddy

Just ordered Bourgeois Country Boy Professional with baked top.
Old 05-19-2022, 03:16 PM

Quote:
@catdaddy

Just ordered Bourgeois Country Boy Professional with baked top.
Here's hoping that it pleases you ear and fits your hands as well as my AT Mahogany D does for me. Let us know how it works out.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 05-19-2022, 07:27 PM

@catdaddy

Thanks!
Old 05-29-2022, 08:52 AM

@catdaddy

Got the Country Boy and it's certainly more resonant than the other Bourgeois guitars I've played but in the end I couldn't get used to the neck.
Old 05-29-2022, 10:04 AM

Quote:
@catdaddy

Got the Country Boy and it's certainly more resonant than the other Bourgeois guitars I've played but in the end I couldn't get used to the neck.
Sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you. Hope you find something that you really like tone-wise and fits your hands. Good luck with the search!

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 05-29-2022, 02:53 PM

@catdaddy

Thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion