The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-02-2019, 11:08 AM

In the past 5 years I've bought about 5 kits. As mentioned, if you catch a sale and have MOC discount, a rosewood kit is about $300.

Now I usually just buy hand picked pieces. The kits are filled with the materials rejected by the factory. The cause of rejection is not always evident. The sides/backs may have mineral deposits in pores which can be removed in 10 minutes. The necks may a have pin knot. So they have every conceivable part used on all models. The website only lists a fraction of what the Guitar Makers Connection has in stock.

Recent build with rejected materials:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-02-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
While guitar making is a subset of woodworking, as you've discovered, guitar making involves some unique issues not usually addressed in general woodworking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
Be careful. Tim McKnight started out by building a Martin kit, and look where that ended up!
Having built two from scratch with a LOT of help from Tim McKnight I will say that the luthier community is a wonderfully generous community! If anybody has any doubts I would say go for it.

BTW, I don't know if this goes against forum rules but there are a couple of online resources where kit builders and aspiring luthiers alike can correspond.
Old 11-02-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWint View Post
In the past 5 years I've bought about 5 kits. As mentioned, if you catch a sale and have MOC discount, a rosewood kit is about $300.

Now I usually just buy hand picked pieces.
So, since you live an hour from Xanadu, do you go over to do the hand picking or can you do that on line? That's gorgeous by the way.
Old 11-02-2019, 12:14 PM

I have some friends that have built guitars using Martin kits.
You can even get Adirondack tops if desired.
I have played at least 10 of these kits after completion and all sound great.
The biggest problem is getting a good finish on them.
Old 11-02-2019, 01:34 PM

Really beautiful guitar JonWint, would have fooled me into thinking it cost an arm and a leg.

How do these compare sound wise to the D28s / HD28s / 00028s etc. assuming they are put together by someone who knows their stuff? Someone mentioned this is the material that didn’t pass quality control - is it a bit of a gamble buying these kits or will it only ever be minor aesthetic issues? I see the fingerboards are not solid wood but is the neck itself hardwood?

Edit: seems getting these shipped to the UK is a problem, Stewmac offer their own ones but doesn't appear to be affiliated with Martin?

Last edited by foxo; 11-02-2019 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-02-2019, 01:39 PM

The three kits I have all have mahogany necks and richlite fretboards. Solid Indian rosewood back and sides, Spruce tops.
Old 11-02-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
A few years ago, I got the bug to build an acoustic. I’m a decent woodworker, so I thought “I’ll build from scratch, who needs a kit?!” Turns out, me. I’ve got a box of parts in my garage in which the only thing that resembles a guitar is the neck (which was actually my favorite part of the process). Bending the sides was a nightmare for me. All that to say, in hindsight, I wish I’d have gone with the kit. Maybe one day, when the kids are older I’ll try again. With a kit.
I had the exact same thought (30 plus years ago...) and picked up a couple books and built from scratch. The first guitar I built turned out great and is still being played today. When ever I would play it on humid days I would catch a slight hint of the same smell that was generated when I was bending the sides over a hot pipe, which always brought a big smile to me.

Since then I've built a lot of instruments, but very few guitars. I build because what I'm interested in playing is generally not commercially available. I'm coincidentally doing a small body slot head all mahogany with some special features so I have a knock around acoustic to do casual stuff like jams and the Farmer's market.

Part of the push to do it was because someone sold me two large stacks of Sitka tops and mahogany backs REALLY cheap that are somewhere around 30 years old from a maker who passed away many years ago. Somebody's gotta use 'em!
Old 11-02-2019, 06:08 PM

I used to own a Martin kit guitar that I got in a trade from the old Buffalo Brothers shop. Great sounding rosewood dread. Like so many others, I don’t remember why I got rid of it.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:18 PM

When I hear these conversations I am reminded of an old friend that flew airplanes and knew several guys that built (kit) airplanes. There are people that like to fly airplanes and people that like to build aircraft. They are seldom the same.

Before you embark on a project you should ask which you’d rather do. Either is a good answer.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 11-02-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
So, since you live an hour from Xanadu, do you go over to do the hand picking or can you do that on line? That's gorgeous by the way.
I usually go there and pick through the piles for loose pieces or in the boxes for kits. I did once select from 3 or 4 red spruce tops from photos they emailed. I was on a waiting list for that one and others were in line to purchase.

I'm sure they would try to select to meet your preference in RW or mahogany if possible. You would need to call. Call main number and transfer to the GMC.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxo View Post
Really beautiful guitar JonWint, would have fooled me into thinking it cost an arm and a leg.

How do these compare sound wise to the D28s / HD28s / 00028s etc. assuming they are put together by someone who knows their stuff? Someone mentioned this is the material that didn’t pass quality control - is it a bit of a gamble buying these kits or will it only ever be minor aesthetic issues? I see the fingerboards are not solid wood but is the neck itself hardwood?

Edit: seems getting these shipped to the UK is a problem, Stewmac offer their own ones but doesn't appear to be affiliated with Martin?
I have $570 in that guitar including $230 of abalone and $75 of Waverly tuning machines.

I always upgrade to wood FB and bridges because I like wood unadulterated. If you use Martin thicknessed wood, braces, bracing pattern, etc. it's probably going to sound like a Martin.

They ship the ones marked "international" anywhere.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Part of the push to do it was because someone sold me two large stacks of Sitka tops and mahogany backs REALLY cheap that are somewhere around 30 years old from a maker who passed away many years ago. Somebody's gotta use 'em!
I got into the hobby recently. Too bad, Dick Boak said he sold hundreds of "rejected" Brazilian RW b/s sets for $5 or $10 each in the early 1980's out of the Woodworkers Dream (precursor to the GMC). Old man Martin wanted only straight-grain wood in his guitars.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:02 PM

I used to know a guy who bought one of these kits. He was afraid to try to build it himself, so he paid a carpenter to assemble it for him. It was okay, but nothing special. A D-28 kit, as I recall.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:06 PM

I have been told (or heard it on a YT video or something) that the parts that Martin puts in its kits are their factory seconds. I have no first-hand knowledge of this though.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack Guitarist View Post
I have been told (or heard it on a YT video or something) that the parts that Martin puts in its kits are their factory seconds. I have no first-hand knowledge of this though.
See Post #16.

Rejected pieces, too good for the dumpster.

Last edited by JonWint; 11-03-2019 at 09:04 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair