The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-28-2010, 12:29 AM

Default Is the shure Sm57 good for recording acoustic guitar?

Hi,

I can buy a genuine Sm57 on eBay for sixty bucks. But I wonder if it is good to record my acoustic guitar, or I can find better?

Thanks for your help
Old 12-28-2010, 05:59 AM
Charter Member

I'd like to buy a condenser for acoustic and vocal recording, but be able to do either one at a time or both together...budget of 3-400.... Suggestions?

Bill. (it seems a few of us here are having the same question)
Old 12-28-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ento59 View Post
Hi,

I can buy a genuine Sm57 on eBay for sixty bucks. But I wonder if it is good to record my acoustic guitar, or I can find better?

Thanks for your help
Ento, I believe the SM57 was originally built and marketed as an instrument mic, so it should not be surprising that many recordings have been made with them. Small diaphragm condensers have become the most popular for recording acoustic guitar, but a good dynamic mic like the SM57, SM58, EV N/D 767, or others can produce very nice recordings, too.

Microphone preference is a hot topic to some here, and some folks spend more on a single mic than I have in my entire recording chain. So, the mic that will suit your needs best will depend on your budget and what sound you want to hear! If you are just seeking to spend a little to experiment with recording, an SM57 will serve you well. Even if you think you will grow your recording chain, an SM57 is always a good mic to have in your tool box (you will likely find a few in any large, professional recording studio). As always, YMMV!

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 12-28-2010, 08:12 AM

Bill,
2x CAD M179 (they are $150 new).
Or an Oktavamod MK-319 (no idea how much they go for).
Maybe even an MK-105 (supposed to be a great mic).
Old 12-28-2010, 01:36 PM

Default Hey

Hi Thanks for your reply,

Unfortunately, I am a student and I do not have a big budget for the moment... (around $200... not big).

I used to have a condenser mic, but I did some research about the Sm57 and thought that it would be better. And found one for sixty bucks on eBay in an excellent condition, and I think it's a pretty good price...

Thanks
Old 12-28-2010, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ento59 View Post
...I used to have a condenser mic, but I did some research about the Sm57 and thought that it would be better.
Hi ento…
I use SM-57 for mic on electric amps both live and in studio, but find it not the best for acoustic guitar in studio.

Many condensers are far better (more accurate).

There are small diaphragm (or medium diaphragm) mics available from $50 and up which will do a better job.

If I had to choose between one better one or two not quite as good ones, I'd get the one better one.

If you can find a used Rode NT-3 or used AT C-1000 you will have a far more flexible medium diaphragm mic which will record your guitar with great tone and detail.

They both use 9 volt batteries in the barrel as an alternative to phantom power if your preamp or interface doesn't supply phantom power.

I had a small commercial studio for 8 years, and the myth you have read was prevalent then as now. So I'd just hook up both an SM-57 and a condenser (Rode NT-3) at the same time and mic the guitar identically with both and record it for the client. They always chose the Rode.

Hope this helps...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-28-2010, 04:48 PM

I got a matched pair of behringer C2's for less than five Hamiltons. If you want to hear what these sound like recorded, here you go:

http://martinmooremusic.com/Music.aspx

There are no FX (no reverb), and minimal EQ and a cheap recording program. I've been very happy with the results.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:57 PM

Default Hey

Hi thanks for your replies

Wow the sound is really good! What do you plug both microphones to?

Thanks. I am a beginner in all that stuff haha..

I'm gonna probably let go the Shure sm57 if it's not good for the acoustic. The problem is that I am a student, and my budget is not really large (around $200)...

I'm gonna look further...

Edit: I really like this sound : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr22Zjk_wl8 The guy recorded with both Behringer, and the sound is just great!

What can I use to connect both to my computer?

Thanks!

Last edited by ento59; 12-28-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

Default Aloha Ento & Giveempills

Aloha Ento,

Given your financial situation as a student, a $60 SM57 will work for what you're trying to accomplish. As several others have suggested here, you should save up for a decent condenser - a pair is best [/B]- which would work better on acoustic guitar than a single dynamic.

You can get OK recorded sound from an SM-57. It just requires more EQ'ing, especially rolling off the mids or perhaps boosting the high's a tad, to dial it in. AND you can use the 57 for live gigs too. But you will have to plug it in to some kind of interface to make it work for computer recording.

Here's a link to a discussion we had last year about computer recording signal chains. There are so many approaches to it. This might help you see the options available & what you might you need, Ento:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f.../t-164654.html

B]Aloha Giveempills,[/B]

As usual, Cue Zephyr has made some very good suggestions to you. A pair of CAD M-179 variable pattern L/D condenser mic's WILL give you plenty of options for voice &/or guitar -very affordable too.

An M179 large diaphragm condenser (new $150) with a USED AKG 535 vocal condenser (usually around $150 & many around, or a couple ) OR a used Oktava MK-012 small diaphragm condenser (cheaper USED) would bring you in at $300 & give you great mic'ed sound with the fantastic mic pre(s) in a One or Duet.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/C535EB/

http://www.frontendaudio.com/CAD-M17...one-p/1637.htm

http://oktava.com/inc/sdetail/499

Or you could just get a couple of used 535's for the same price - use one on your voice, one on guitar for playing & singing at the same time, or use both for recording stereo acoustic guitar tracks alone.

The 535 cardioid condenser is MUCH BETTER than any of the cheaper Chinese condensers. I truly love the 535 for voice or guitar (rich, quiet & accurate). The M179 is not quite as good sounding as the 535, but is more versatile in terms of miking patterns (about which you'll learn as you go).

All the best to you, my friends. Enjoy the ride & ONLY TRUST YOUR EARS!

PS: Check out used mic's online & at gearslutz, homerecording & taperssection sites.

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 12-28-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:24 PM

Default Hi

Hi,

Has anyone tried the M audio Fast Track?
Old 12-28-2010, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

Default Tascam 122 or 144 Are Better Than the M-Audio Fast Track

Aloha Ento,

Not a fan of the M-Audio Fast Track. The Fast Track Pro offers two channels & the MobilePre is better still - in M-Audio land.

For the cheap interface, a Tascam 122 or 144 are better value's than the M-Audio's, IMO. Same with the Echofire's if you'd like firewire instead of USB.

Check 'em all out, Ento. The Tascam's a winner for USB interface.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baW5jIOPp68

alohachris
Old 12-28-2010, 06:52 PM

Default Hey

Thanks Chris, I appreciate that. Your comments are always helpful hehe.

Btw, I've bought the JJB 330.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:56 PM

the SM-94 is what you want......it is the industry-standard.....
it's a sensitive microphone with a wide, flat response well-suited for live amplified and acoustic instruments..

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...one?sku=270116
Old 12-28-2010, 08:28 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the help!!!!
Old 12-29-2010, 12:37 AM

I'm looking too. I had a Shure Beta 58A until I loaned it to a friend to use at a gig and it was stolen. I'm looking for a vocal mike, sometimes harmonica, home recording, usually small venues but may sometimes be used for hard rock stages. My budget is around $200ish.

thx for any suggestions.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD