The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-15-2024, 12:29 PM

I'm aggravated with it all, I will stick to stinking Sirius.
Old 05-15-2024, 01:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Get the free Radio Paradise app

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Old 05-15-2024, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
Confusion surrounding Apple Car Play, iPhone Music, YouTube, Bluetooth, WiFi, Aha, Pandora, Connect Device, etc., all conspired against Mrs. Tinnitus and me in a rental car last week (Chevy Malibu). In the midst of a Texas road trip, we pulled over just outside of China Grove to cue up the Doobies as a soundtrack for a quick video when we entered town. Parked by a gas station, it took us probably 10 minutes of jabbing at touch-screens, knobs and buttons, cussing (and laughing) to set it up and make it play.

It was much easier a few years ago to just use the iPhone speaker in another rental as we crossed the Chattahoochee River from Columbus GA to pass the Welcome to Sweet Home Alabama sign. Everyone in the van was shouting and singing Alan Jackson so nobody noticed when Skynyrd started and I said, "Turn it up!"
This should be universally true and take seconds. An exception could be a rental or demo car where someone set up many profiles. Just go to the dashboard settings and reset or clear them if that's the case. Don't shoot me if a rare exception but I know it from rental cars, car shopping, and painfully well via all the staff who call IT or call me personally for this help.

If a USB wired, open your settings app and press the button steering wheel.
If a wireless CarPlay open your bluetooth settings and press same button.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
I'm aggravated with it all, I will stick to stinking Sirius.
I'm not sure what the aggravation would be. My experience with Sirius is you just pay more for less and have more annoying ways to make it work. IT gets call for that too.

Also good luck!
Old 05-15-2024, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
yes plenty... they don't have the patience to show me... I go back to the dealer next week,maybe they can set me straight......SOOO ,where does Applecarplay music come from ;if I don't have music downloaded on my phone.
It's easier than you think. You don't have to download anything to your phone. You can stream content from Pandora, Spotify, or Amazon (probably others). Pandora and Spotify have (at least until recently) free services, but you have to put up with ads. For about $10/mo, you can go add-free and get other upgrades. Pandora's hook was streaming stuff similar to what you requested, but the other services do that now. Spotify probably has the friendliest user interface, but I like Amazon. It was an option for having Amazon Prime, but I think it's stand-alone now. I think Amazon has the most high-def content and their service pulls in related videos and information about the artist. HD content is mostly lost in a car, in my opinion, though. The search feature on Amazon delivers incomplete results and I have to figure out what album the song is on and search for the album, which is a pain.

I'd suggest you start with Spotify, free or subscription. You hook up your CarPlay to the car and go to Spotify and play the music you want. Your car's screen emulates the phone's screen. It looks like your Subaru has wireless CarPlay, which is nice (probably some loss of fidelity, but you probably wouldn't notice it). You'll have access to almost anything anytime you want it, and can build playlists.

https://www.subaru.com/vehicles/outb...n%20more%20fun.
Old 05-15-2024, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromitspapa View Post
It's easier than you think. You don't have to download anything to your phone. You can stream content from Pandora, Spotify, or Amazon (probably others). Pandora and Spotify have (at least until recently) free services, but you have to put up with ads. For about $10/mo, you can go add-free and get other upgrades. Pandora's hook was streaming stuff similar to what you requested, but the other services do that now. Spotify probably has the friendliest user interface, but I like Amazon. It was an option for having Amazon Prime, but I think it's stand-alone now. I think Amazon has the most high-def content and their service pulls in related videos and information about the artist. HD content is mostly lost in a car, in my opinion, though. The search feature on Amazon delivers incomplete results and I have to figure out what album the song is on and search for the album, which is a pain.

I'd suggest you start with Spotify, free or subscription. You hook up your CarPlay to the car and go to Spotify and play the music you want. Your car's screen emulates the phone's screen. It looks like your Subaru has wireless CarPlay, which is nice (probably some loss of fidelity, but you probably wouldn't notice it). You'll have access to almost anything anytime you want it, and can build playlists.

https://www.subaru.com/vehicles/outb...n%20more%20fun.
Yes, more than the similarly priced streaming services is just make the CarPlay or Android Auto connection. One can get a trial with any of the major services. Sometimes people don't realize their cell phone plans have 6 months of Apple Music.

With how we all learn differently I'll also suggest to folks to seek a YouTube tutorial or an Apple Support search. Their knowledge base articles are almost always about as simple as can be.

I hope no one misunderstands some of my points here except that this is actually quite easy. A lot of times your car salesperson or a car salesperson is more than happy to help set it up to get a positive chance for a referral or coming back for next car.

If frustrated do something fun and come back later or tomorrow. The 200+ million users mean someone we all know can likely help.

To start CarPlay will list all your compatible apps. Later on you can edit only what you wish.
Old 05-15-2024, 05:56 PM

The car I bought last year is the first I've owned without a CD player. It does not have a 3.5mm socket, so I was unable to connect my old portable CD player. It does have a USB port and Bluetooth capability. I refuse to pay money to Spotify and Amazon to get them richer while underpaying artists, so I still buy CDs, usually at gigs so the artist gets a bigger cut. I won't touch Apple products either as they are overpriced and use proprietary software, so I just rip the CDs/LPs to mp3s and drop them onto my Samsung phone and stream via Android Auto - no need to pay for premium to avoid ads, I get my own music, no worries about data connection, have the discs for home use and reading the notes etc and it supports artists more. Took me a while to find a decent player though - my go-to, WinAmp, didn't work well, so I am currently using AMP.
Old 05-15-2024, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I don't get the abandonment of CD players in autos. A lot of people invested in building a CD library, only for auto makers to assume that everyone listens to music on their phones and discontinue CD players.

No, everyone doesn't have their face and ears glued to a phone.
Ain't it the truth. They either do not think of this or chose to ignore it. It frustrates me.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 05-15-2024, 07:22 PM

looking up Spotify on you tube . I still don't get where the music is coming from!! the Phone ? or is it like Sirius?
Old 05-15-2024, 08:41 PM

Quote:
looking up Spotify on you tube . I still don't get where the music is coming from!! the Phone ? or is it like Sirius?
Spotify (and Pandora and other streaming services) send you the music over the internet to your device. It'll do it via WiFi if you're connected, or via your phone plan data otherwise.

Sirius is a satellite "radio" broadcast. You need a special antenna to pick it up.
Old 05-15-2024, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
Sirius is a satellite "radio" broadcast. You need a special antenna to pick it up.
...aaand the Sirius signal comes from a satellite, so it cuts out a lot if you're driving in a wooded area. That was my experience anyway.
Old 05-15-2024, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
...aaand the Sirius signal comes from a satellite, so it cuts out a lot if you're driving in a wooded area. That was my experience anyway.
Yep. My dad had Sirius in a truck, and when he put the camper on, the cab overhang went over the antenna and caused issues. Similarly, using streaming services can be a non-starter if you are out in the boonies or mountains with no cell service. That's why having music stored on a local device (in the car system, downloaded to your phone, or on a USB stick, depending on what the infotainment system supports) is generally a good thing IMO.

Getting a Spotify subscription is nice, since you can stream when you have data but you can also download songs to have them locally on your device for up to 30 days.
Old 05-16-2024, 05:27 AM
Charter Member

Our '21 Outback has a CD player, but it is a PITA to get to (buried in the center console).

We have been subscriber to Sirius/XM since the very early days. In those days, there were only 40 some odd music channels that were broadcast (or whatever they call the satellite transmission) in near CD quality - way better than what is available today.

Wifey still loves SXM, so we keep our two subs. Myself, I have started using the CD player a bit more, even with it being a PITA to change a disc.

I also have a ton of music on my phone, and will use bluetooth the play my tunes. Doesn't sound quite as good as the CD, but still better than SXM.

D

Last edited by dhodgeh; 05-16-2024 at 05:36 AM.
Old 05-16-2024, 05:37 AM
Charter Member

many years ago some of the customers frequenting our gas station had a record player in their car. Perhaps this is a vintage option for you.
Old 05-16-2024, 07:16 AM

I just play the music that's in my head.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 05-16-2024, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Only problem with mp3's is the disparity in volume - constantly adjusting during playback.
I understand. I have some recording software that I use to get the different recordings to a similar level. Plus, I have a volume control on my steering wheel, so a little thumb action does the trick when desired.

The loss of CDs is a crying shame as a lot of great music has been lost moving from albums to CDs to streaming. Now algorithms and popularity are helping music become more generic and lifeless.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic