The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-11-2019, 05:32 PM

Default 2nd Times the Charm...New Taylor 517 Day

I guess the second time is the charm for me and Taylor. My first 717 had a mishap in shipping with the case, and it was damaged. My second 717 turned out to be the best guitar I've ever played. Well, my 517 had a finish issue, which actually started to chip the day before I send it back to Taylor. They took care of me and sent me a replacement. It's ironic that both my 717 and 517 took 2 tries to get right.

The first 517 I had was nice, but this one is very light, and noticeably lighter than my first one. It is resonant, and just as loud as my 717 that I rave about. Honestly, the only different in sound between this and my 717 is the difference between rosewood and mahogany. I pretty much made up my mind that I was going to sell the replacement 517 as soon as I got it for financial reasons, but this 517 is just as special as my 717, so I will keep it for a little while.

The kicker is that I put Santa Cruz strings and a bone saddle on this one and it just came to life. I can't believe how much different these guitars sound to me once you get the Elixirs off. It's crazy.

Also put satin black Taylor tuners on it. I like them better on this guitar!

IMG_5539.jpg

IMG_5534.jpg

IMG_5540.jpg

Last edited by Shades of Blue; 08-12-2019 at 06:22 AM.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:39 PM

Congratulations! Love those tuner buttons. Did you just switch the buttons out, or replace the whole tuners?

My 517 is such a sweet guitar!
Preston Thompson: O Koa
Old 08-11-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSurf View Post
Congratulations! Love those tuner buttons. Did you just switch the buttons out, or replace the whole tuners?

My 517 is such a sweet guitar!
Thanks! They are new Taylor tuners. They are not very expensive and are the same as the nickel, just satin black. I have a set of smoked nickel on my 717.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:42 PM

They do look good together and those black tuners really suit too.

I know the Elixir faithful will disagree but I still wonder if guitar makers use them for their longevity more than their tone?

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 08-11-2019, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Color me totally confused....https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=554445
Martin 000-15sm
Old 08-11-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post

That was before I put the SC strings on it. I’m beginning to change my mind about selling it. Rather than kill the for sale post, I figured I’d give it a few more days to mull it over. It does sound wonderful, but an expensive family vacation can get you contemplating ways to get a few extra bucks I suppose...
Old 08-11-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
I guess the second time is the charm for me and Taylor. My first 717 had a mishap in shipping with the case, and it was damaged. My second 717 turned out to be the best guitar I've ever played. Well, my 517 had a finish issue, which actually started to chip the day before I send it back to Taylor. They took care of me and sent me a replacement.

The first 517 I had was nice, but this one is very light, and noticeably lighter than my first one. It is resonant, and just as loud as my 717 that I rave about. Honestly, the only different in sound between this and my 717 is the difference between rosewood and mahogany.

The kicker is that I put Santa Cruz strings and a bone saddle on this one and it just came to life. I can't believe how much different these guitars sound to me once you get the Elixirs off. It's crazy.

Also put satin black Taylor tuners on it. I like them better on this guitar!

Attachment 25960

Attachment 25961

Attachment 25962

I'm glad you're happy with the final guitars. Congratulations! There are a number of story morals in your tale, aren't there?
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 08-11-2019, 08:37 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Glad you’re still loving your GPs, my friend!

FOR SALE: 2023 Martin 000-15SM 12 fret w/ K&K mini

Old 08-12-2019, 12:55 AM
Charter Member

Looking forward to the ongoing comparison and see if the 517 survives the cut. Glad they took good care of you!
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 08-12-2019, 03:18 AM

That was a short honeymoon. https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=554445
Martin Custom Shop Gruhn 50th Anniversary Sinker Mahogany Dreadnaught
Taylor K14ce
Old 08-12-2019, 03:41 AM

Default 2nd Times the Charm...New Taylor 517 Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by jash0508 View Post

Read the 5th and 6th posts. I’m not going to keep explaining it...
Old 08-12-2019, 06:14 AM

Am I correct, you sent back two guitars?

You’re contemplating selling one to fund a vacation? I’m confused also.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 08-12-2019, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Am I correct, you sent back two guitars?

You’re contemplating selling one to fund a vacation? I’m confused also.
Two guitars, my first 717 due to a bad ding in the case and it arrived unlatched, and the 517 due to a masking line in the finish that began chipping. I am just making the point that both of my GPs I own are the second of each flavor due to issues.

After I shipped back my first 517, I made up my mind that I really didn't need this guitar and I am happy with my 717. I was going to list it for sale as soon as I got in the replacement 517 from Taylor. However, upon playing it, my mind has quickly shifted towards keeping. I am going to feel it out for the next few weeks and see where I end up.

The comment about vacation was tongue in cheek after feeling wiped clean after our family vacation last week.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:45 AM

Glad it is sorted for you!

It is most definitely a case for playing/inspecting the guitar purchase at a shop before buying it. It might save some grief, though not always - my own judgement at a shop has been a bit err, hasty shall we say in the past...
After suffering certain problems with guitars, you DO turn into a bit of an eagle eye. A couple of guitars I still have that I bought when more inexperienced still sound and play great but some of the finer details are a bit....I stand by my decisions!

BluesKing777.

Last edited by BluesKing777; 08-12-2019 at 07:22 AM.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:19 AM

I know everyone has different opinions on strings, but this is my personal experience so far with my 717.

I purchased mine used (1.5 months old) from someone who needed the money. It had 80/20 nanoweb 11s on it, which I have NEVER liked the 80/20 nanos. I have always played Elixir polywebs and liked them, but have leaned more towards the PB Nanos over the last year or so. When I first strummed my 717, it blew my mind with the 80/20 Nanos on it what were a lighter gauge, really just didn't like anything about them, but the 717 blew away my 814ce and sounded awesome! After reading several opinions regarding the Santa Cruz strings, I decided to get a set of the Med Tension strings and try them out. To me, they sounded great strummed, they were comfortable to play, but were lacking when fingerpicking, almost dead at first and I was not impressed and didn't feel there was a major improvement. Once I played them for a week or so, they started growing on me. IDK if it was the guitar opening up or the strings just getting played in a bit, but they sound great now. I do plan to install some Elixir PB Nanos when I change the strings again for comparison, but this was my take on the Santa Cruz strings. I really like them now, but they were disappointing to me at first. I've played Elixirs for a long time, but I'm open to other strings that have a good lifespan and better tone. I just wasn't blown away with the SC strings. I'll have a definite opinion once I play the PB Nanos, this is just my experience/opinion to date. I'm not trying to knock the SCs, because I have grown to like them, but just didn't know about them at first before they were played in a bit and didn't notice anything spectacular about them. I might eventually try some Polys on it, depending how the PBs sound.

I do understand everyone likes different sounds/tones....just sharing my personal experience to date with mine. Regarding my 717 though, I freakin' love this guitar and can't imagine myself ever selling it. I just love it!

I love both of GPs, they are both beautiful guitars!
Fender MIM Tele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion