The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-28-2018, 11:44 PM

Default In an epic battle tonight the X30 comes out on top!

I just pulled my Oregon Myrtlewood Breedlove off the wall to work on this song. Lovely guitar, that shiny top and satin finish stormy myrtlewood sides, the austere furnishings, so beautiful!

But what's this? The guitar keeps wanting to lean forward on my leg, because some fool designed the undercut straight across, as though people play guitars straight up and down instead of tilted toward them!

WELL since it's trying SO hard to get away from me, I guess I'll just put it down and grab my trusty X20, my Songwriter Special, that nimble little guitar with the clear singing voice that I like so much for working on songs.

But.... well it's a tad brassy as a strummer, still -- maybe when I try Jim's strings it'll finally mellow down. But since this song is a chunky strummer I hang that guy on the wall too and get down the X30.

Ahhhh... stable as a skyscraper on my leg, thick/fat sound just right for this song.... victory!

Old 11-29-2018, 04:15 AM

Never tried the Skyscraper thing, not really handy, for me anyway...well at least I have the X30 to get an idea....... great read again thanks.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 11-29-2018, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

For many years, I had one electric and one acoustic. Nice to have some options, so you can just keep trying different guitars until you have the one that is "just right" for that song.

"Honey, I just learned another song - I think I need to get another guitar."
Old 11-30-2018, 04:41 AM

[QUOTE=Captain Jim;5903790
"Honey, I just learned another song - I think I need to get another guitar." [/QUOTE]....

...so I can write another
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 11-30-2018, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Carbon fiber guitars do seem to have improved quite a bit over the years, to the point they can replace wood instruments in many cases. We probably will have both in our collections for some time, for the different sounds they bring to the music.

When I read the subject line, I had an image of people some combination of wood and carbon fiber guitars around to see which would survive ("...and in this corner!!! ….). That brought me to the thread just to see what was really going on.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber