The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-30-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwired View Post
I wasn't even aware of the T5 until you mentioned it ... now I'm drooling!

I owned two T5 customs and even bought the K4 preamp. I could not get a convincing acoustic or electric tone from them. Play before you drool. They look great and feel great, but....
Old 09-02-2019, 11:36 PM

Of course we're on an Acoustic Guitar forum, so less love for electrics, perhaps. But I see plenty of artists around here doing solo blues-y Americana type stuff on electrics. Lots of songs work fine on either. Material and presentation trump the particular instrument. Heck, if you were good enough you might be able to get away with nothing but a kazoo.

I've done entire sets electric and entire sets acoustic. Both can work. But I think variety is good and for my next set of gigs I'm going to do some of each.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

I had a similar experience. I was initially excited by the T5Z but was underwhelmed when I tried to get a sound out of it I liked.

The store person was able to for his playing so I suspect it's just more learning it's nuances. However when I first picked up my Yamaha SA2200 in a store I was instantly drawn to the sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
I owned two T5 customs and even bought the K4 preamp. I could not get a convincing acoustic or electric tone from them. Play before you drool. They look great and feel great, but....
Old 09-03-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post

I have to agree with this...I bought a Koa T5 when they first came out and was absolutely stunned at how beautiful it looked. Problem was, it never sounded as good as it looked. As time went on it stayed at home more and more until I came to the realization that I just didn't prefer playing it.

This isn't a Taylor bash, they make great guitars. I personally just never bonded with the tones I got from the T5.
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 09-05-2019, 03:31 AM

Default 2 guitars

I was thinking of simply getting an ES335 type, tuning it to open G and doing some stones and george thoroughgood. I can do it during one set (like an acoustic set and a set with the ES335). I say es335 because that TYPE of semi hollow electric has a little more body doesn't it? VS using my Telecaster?
Old 09-05-2019, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppster View Post
I have to agree with this...I bought a Koa T5 when they first came out and was absolutely stunned at how beautiful it looked. Problem was, it never sounded as good as it looked. As time went on it stayed at home more and more until I came to the realization that I just didn't prefer playing it.

This isn't a Taylor bash, they make great guitars. I personally just never bonded with the tones I got from the T5.
Same thing here. I have been so close to buying a T5, but never quite could get the sound. The playability and look are beyond compare, just excellent. One night at a Taylor roadshow, I played a wonderful blue T5S. I decided to buy it. Put it back on the rack and took one more turn around the shop. Got back, it was gone. Looked around, someone had it at the counter and was buying it....
Learned a lesson, when its right, need to pounce!
Old 09-05-2019, 09:41 AM

My favorite solo electric player after Joe Pass:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=476vNb6thyM
Old 09-07-2019, 03:52 PM

I've always played acoustic. I recently bought a Gretsch G5420TG and have been playing it at a few open mics. At a recent gig, I played mostly acoustic, but switched to the Gretsch for four or five numbers. I got a lot of comments on the sound of the Gretsch, even through the cheap, used Line 6 amp I was using.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 09-08-2019, 07:49 AM

Default Gretsch, staying in tune?

I've found one on sweetwater for $700 vs. the $800-$900 but in reading the reviews I'm finding a LOT of anecdotal stories of them being bears to keep in tune. This is one of my pet peeves, and would factor heavily ... how have you found yours so far?
Old 09-08-2019, 09:29 AM

When I bought mine it wouldn't stay in tune. After I adjusted the neck relief, lowered the strings at the nut, and put a set of D'Addairo ECG25 flat wound strings on it, it's fine. Oh, I also used a pencil to apply graphite to the nut slots.

I'd say the tuners are not the best quality on mine, but they're serviceable. Eventually I may replace them with some Gotohs.

2012 Martin HD-28V
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 09-11-2019, 10:13 AM

Default Got one coming!

Well...just ordered one!! Haven't read a bad review yet other than the tuning issue, which DOES appear to be fixable (like most things) but throwing a little money at it!
Old 09-11-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Well...just ordered one!! Haven't read a bad review yet other than the tuning issue, which DOES appear to be fixable (like most things) but throwing a little money at it!
If you are buying a new one, ask about proper setup (action, neck relief, intonation) before it's shipped to you.

2012 Martin HD-28V
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 09-11-2019, 03:36 PM

Default something specific

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
If you are buying a new one, ask about proper setup (action, neck relief, intonation) before it's shipped to you.
Is there something specific I should ask for or literally just ask them to "set it up properly" before they ship it?

thanks for your help.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Is there something specific I should ask for or literally just ask them to "set it up properly" before they ship it?
Ask if setup is included. They'll know. For the most part, setup includes the things I mentioned. They take it out of the box and check it and make any necessary adjustments. Most stores do this for high-end guitars, but I'm not sure about all stores and all guitars.

2012 Martin HD-28V
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 09-18-2019, 06:43 AM

Well I just maybe saw the epitome of solo electric guitar last night. I saw Bob Mould last night and he’s on tour with only his Strat, some pedals and a Fender twin looking something well cranked up. He proves it can be done.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars