The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-15-2019, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Thanks Howard, I like Melanie And I think the 20 watt rating would hold for the D123's intended usage, I would only worry if somebody was blasting some rough edge overdrive tunes through the speaker. I've been debating putting the D123 in my Princeton Reverb clone as I really like the current speaker and I do play a bit dirtier through it. But for the cleaner side of the Princeton I would love it!!!
I realize this Howard's thread, but...

Thanks for this! I do tend to favor more clean tones, just with a bit of that tube "grit" from time to time...

Why wouldn't you want an overdriven signal going through that speaker? Because of sheer volume, or some tone weirdness or would that actually damage the speaker?

I do use a little pedal for some grit/break-up when I need it at lower volumes; would that be a potential problem?

Lastly (sorry!); I read an interview with GE Smith (staunch Fender amp guy), and he commented, almost off-handedly, that "Oh yeah, all those old Fender amps sound amazing if you DIME the volume, DIME the bass and zero the treble... something really cool happens..."

So I checked it out first with a couple of my amp guys, and they said give it a try, so I did!

OH MAN! I have heard THAT GUITAR SOUND on SO many great records!!!

I don't do this all the time, nor would I if I could... but it does produce a remarkable sound from my Deluxe... still has highs, not overly bassy, almost like the low-mid's are kicked up... distorted, but not stupid... cleans up REALLY nice as you lower the guitar volume ( which I pretty much always do, gets prretty loud with the guitar flat-out...

Anyway, a lot questions... hope maybe Howard or Rockabilly69 knows the answers!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 08-15-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
I realize this Howard's thread, but...

Thanks for this! I do tend to favor more clean tones, just with a bit of that tube "grit" from time to time...

Why wouldn't you want an overdriven signal going through that speaker? Because of sheer volume, or some tone weirdness or would that actually damage the speaker?

I do use a little pedal for some grit/break-up when I need it at lower volumes; would that be a potential problem?

Lastly (sorry!); I read an interview with GE Smith (staunch Fender amp guy), and he commented, almost off-handedly, that "Oh yeah, all those old Fender amps sound amazing if you DIME the volume, DIME the bass and zero the treble... something really cool happens..."

So I checked it out first with a couple of my amp guys, and they said give it a try, so I did!

OH MAN! I have heard THAT GUITAR SOUND on SO many great records!!!

I don't do this all the time, nor would I if I could... but it does produce a remarkable sound from my Deluxe... still has highs, not overly bassy, almost like the low-mid's are kicked up... distorted, but not stupid... cleans up REALLY nice as you lower the guitar volume ( which I pretty much always do, gets prretty loud with the guitar flat-out...

Anyway, a lot questions... hope maybe Howard or Rockabilly69 knows the answers!
Well GE Smith knows amps, but he typically plays Tweed Deluxes with one tone knob. As for doing that trick with Blackface style Deluxe Reverbs, I've done it, and yes it is a cool tone, but not one I would recommend doing with the JBL. I also do the same trick with a Vox AC15 and it really does bring out a cool tone. I always thought that bringing up the treble would make an AC30 chime, but by raising the bass it pushes the output section harder and that's when it starts generating the output tube harmonic distortion!

As for why overdrives tear up the speakers it's the way they push the front of the amp that drives the amp harder than without. Also the rough waveform tends to be hard on the speakers. IMNSHO the D123 is not a speaker that I would run hard, it just defeats what that speaker does tonally,
it just sounds so good clean and with a bit of dirt.
Old 08-15-2019, 04:32 PM

That was a right nice purchase at an exceptional price. Sometimes people know what they got, and just want them to go to a good home, that will use and love the darned things...

2019 Applegate SJ

Last edited by GuitarsFromMars; 08-18-2019 at 06:08 AM.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hi Guys,
So here's the thing: When I need my "woman tone", I plug into my Danelectro Model 68 Special Series D amp, whose Jensen is always willing to wail & moan, dimed.

Herewith:

When I need my clean 'acoustic' Telecaster sound, the Princeton Reverb with the JBL gives me all the clean I need, and I provide the edginess via varied right hand attack & fret buzz, etc.

HE
Old 08-18-2019, 12:17 AM
Charter Member

Cool Yikes!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Hi Guys,
So here's the thing: When I need my "woman tone", I plug into my Danelectro Model 68 Special Series D amp, whose Jensen is always willing to wail & moan, dimed.

Herewith:

When I need my clean 'acoustic' Telecaster sound, the Princeton Reverb with the JBL gives me all the clean I need, and I provide the edginess via varied right hand attack & fret buzz, etc.

HE
GREAT TONE Howard!!! Wish it didn't look like you were having SO much fun... but I understand rampant jubilation with that glorious noise!

Seriously, that "Tele" is something else! Gorgeous looking, but I love the sounds I've heard from it (only a few). Great playing, per usual, by the way...

Never knew Danelectro even made amps... I'm guessing it was a smallish one? Terrific sound, whatever.

Had a friend who had one of the old "amp/guitar/case" combos from Sears... he didn't play, hadn't used it for years and loaned it to me, bakc in the 80's/early 90's...

I did a clean-up on all three items... was shocked to find how sweet that little amp in the case was! Like having an old tweed Champ... ended up falling in love with both the guitar and the amp... begged, pleaded, cajoled... but my buddy felt it had a family connection and wanted to keep it for his kids...

Hope those kids ended up with it..

Thanks for posting this, Howard...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 08-18-2019, 08:22 AM

I had a custom cabinet built with a 15” JBL. The sound was too Bright and harsh, icepick in the forehead, I sold it to the builder.
Old 08-25-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Herewith:

HE
That was some killer tone Howard!
Old 08-26-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Herewith:

HE
Hey Howard, I recorded a quick clip with my iphone of some dirty slide guitar blues with my Ampeg with the D123 (using a Mythical Overdrive in front)...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars