The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-28-2018, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Default "Would you like your receipt?" and other questions

For most of my life when I made a purchase at a retailer I was given a receipt. There was no question about it. Then a few years back, retailers started asking me if I wanted it or not (e.g., most noticeable at Startbucks or Subway). They usually had printed it out already, had it in their hand, while asking me if I wanted it. Now, they don't offer a receipt at all, and they don't ask if you want it. Just for fun, I sometimes ask them for a receipt and they happily provide it.

My question is, what is this about? Is it about saving .02 on thermal paper? What is the reasoning behind providing a receipt in the first place?
Old 04-28-2018, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Some people get it electronically. Some people don't need it. Some people think they need it for a write off. I don't care about a receipt if I pay cash. If I pay with a card, I like to check to make sure the charges is correct. Same with gas pumps.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:01 AM

There’s now the option of getting an electronic receipt vis text or email or using a store affiliated credit card, making returns much easier and making paper receipts pretty much obsolete. The fact that it saves paper is a side benefit to not having to file receipts and deal with the physical clutter.

We’ve similarly opted out of paper invoices for many of our monthly bills, opting instead for automatic withdrawal or electronic reminders. We make an exception with regards to credit cards, which (while still bulky) make for a more comprehensive record of our spending habits.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Put me in the “I don’t want the receipt” camp. I believe there are quite a few customers who indicate they don’t want the receipt, so now they ask.

One of my favorite “Other Questions” as mentioned in your title is when the representative (typically Verizon or the like) doesn’t do a thing to resolve the issue I call about. Then they ask “is there anything else I can do for you?” I often remind them they haven’t resolved the issue I called about. I’m just getting old enough to be grumpy.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:19 AM

Obviously, the purpose of receipts is for evidence of the transaction. That evidence can be used to keep your books, pay your taxes, return the item in the future, etc etc.

I get a chuckle when a cashier wants to hand me a receipt for an $0.86 soda pop at the gas station.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
For most of my life when I made a purchase at a retailer I was given a receipt. There was no question about it. Then a few years back, retailers started asking me if I wanted it or not (e.g., most noticeable at Startbucks or Subway). They usually had printed it out already, had it in their hand, while asking me if I wanted it. Now, they don't offer a receipt at all, and they don't ask if you want it. Just for fun, I sometimes ask them for a receipt and they happily provide it.

My question is, what is this about? Is it about saving .02 on thermal paper? What is the reasoning behind providing a receipt in the first place?

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 04-28-2018, 10:54 AM

I refuse the receipt because I don’t want my wife finding proof lying around that I have been sneak eating cheeseburgers and donuts behind her back. That wouldn’t be good for me.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

A lot of people use cards and manage their finances online. Receipts are useless to me outside a larger purchase.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:00 AM

Many millions don't want unnecessary paper being thrown in the trash or ground. With all credit card companies offering immediate feedback with any purchases, you don't even need receipts to reconcile your account. If people ask if you want a: receipt, straw, bag it is generally over concern for the environment not for cost savings. They should simply put up a sign that says: IF YOU WOULD LIKE A REEIPT, PLEASE ASK. Then they don't even have to print it unless the customer wants it.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Put me in the “I don’t want the receipt” camp. I believe there are quite a few customers who indicate they don’t want the receipt, so now they ask.

One of my favorite “Other Questions” as mentioned in your title is when the representative (typically Verizon or the like) doesn’t do a thing to resolve the issue I call about. Then they ask “is there anything else I can do for you?” I often remind them they haven’t resolved the issue I called about. I’m just getting old enough to be grumpy.
Yes, probably most people discarded the receipts as soon as they got them, and I'll bet a fair amount of them wound up on the floor. So the practice became to ask if the receipt was wanted.

I also ask unhelpful representatives, "What do you mean anything else?" And I love to get the follow up survey questions where I answer, "Yes, the rep very politely told me that he couldn't help me at all."
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 04-28-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
I refuse the receipt because I don’t want my wife finding proof lying around that I have been sneak eating cheeseburgers and donuts behind her back. That wouldn’t be good for me.
No, it would be very bad for you and could even counteract the calorific benefits of all the nourishing burgers n donuts.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
There’s now the option of getting an electronic receipt vis text or email or using a store affiliated credit card, making returns much easier and making paper receipts pretty much obsolete. The fact that it saves paper is a side benefit to not having to file receipts and deal with the physical clutter.

We’ve similarly opted out of paper invoices for many of our monthly bills, opting instead for automatic withdrawal or electronic reminders. We make an exception with regards to credit cards, which (while still bulky) make for a more comprehensive record of our spending habits.
We pretty much do this as well - electronic receipts wherever they're offered, paper otherwise. I still get paper statements for credit cards - I've been reconciling these (and bank statements) with Quicken for years, and paper/pen is way more convenient for such a quaint and old-fashioned practice While the credit card companies will still print them and send them to me, I'll let them.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 04-28-2018, 12:45 PM

Often a merchant will ask if you want a receipt and if no receipt is given they might not record the sale as income for tax purposes. They can make the cash register sound "cashing" without entering the sale.
Old 04-28-2018, 01:01 PM

I use my Cap-1 card for pretty much everything. It has a nice app that gives a little pop up instantly on my phone whenever there is a charge on my card or anyone else in the family on the account. I can see who used their card, how much was charged and where it was used. I can also see an instant summary of recent charges across all cards on the account. Keep the receipt and save the trees!
Old 04-28-2018, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
I purchase everything with my credit card. I get money back and pay one payment every month. So I have a record on my computer already and don't need or want a receipt. Some will run a receipt for you if you would like. Not everyone has one already printed.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic