The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-03-2019, 06:30 AM

Thumbs down Questions regarding custom build baritone acoustic

Hello everyone,

I am planning to have a baritone acoustic made. Just thought of dropping a few questions here to help me decide about the materials that will be used.

The plan is to have a very good price/quality ratio. I want an instrument that is built purely for sound and playability, no fancy stuff.

I am not decided yet about what kind of wood to use. I am looking for wood of high quality but not too expensive. Not looking for the cheapest you can find either.

I am a fingerstyle player, I play with finger pads instead of nails, except for thumb nail. I want an instrument that can take heavy strumming and light playing, so a broad dynamic range I guess. Willing to sacrifice some overtones for good fundamentals. Because it's a baritone it should of course have good bass response. The body will also be big.

Thanks for helping out,

Max

Last edited by MaxT; 01-03-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

Here’s one by Stephen Kinnaird in Claro Walnut and Sitka. It’s beautiful, but has no pearl. I think it sounds quite nice. I’m sure he’d be happy to make another.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EuKMagoQFNs
Old 01-03-2019, 07:22 AM

Sounds really nice but I will have it made in a local shop in Belgium where I live.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:46 AM

What's the reasoning behind the thumb down icon?
Old 01-03-2019, 11:48 AM

Oops, mistake. Thought it was a question mark.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:51 PM

Hard strumming, I would tend to avoid cedar as a first choice, wanting to avoid the top being overdriven to the point of becoming mushy/overdriven, - Sitka spruce should handle that and be sensitive enough for gentle fingerstyle. For back/sides, rosewood could very well generate more overtones than mahogany. So, Sitka spruce and mahogany.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:37 PM
AGF Sponsor

What grows where your luthier lives? You would be hard pressed to beat the price of local materials. Or, what does your luthier have on hand?
Old 01-03-2019, 03:07 PM

From what you describe, I'd say Indian Rosewood and Sitka or Lutz Spruce.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:16 PM

Don't think there is a lot of good local wood in Belgium, will definitely ask what he has in stock.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:19 PM

Sitka/rosewood, the classic combo. Also what I had in mind.
Is sitka the best spruce species for fingerstyle playing? What about engelmann?
Old 01-03-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxT View Post
Sitka/rosewood, the classic combo. Also what I had in mind.
Is sitka the best spruce species for fingerstyle playing? What about engelmann?
I really think it depends on the particular wood being used and you should talk to your builder about that. But generally Sitka has more headroom than Englemann although generally, I would choose Englemann over Sitka for fingerpicking. But that's a BROAD generalization.

These really are questions to discuss with whoever you choose to build your guitar and not so much here.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
I really think it depends on the particular wood being used and you should talk to your builder about that. But generally Sitka has more headroom than Englemann although generally, I would choose Englemann over Sitka for fingerpicking. But that's a BROAD generalization.

These really are questions to discuss with whoever you choose to build your guitar and not so much here.
Certainly will discuss it extensively with the builder. Just thought to ask here first to get a picture in mind. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:10 AM
Charter Member

Since this in the context of a baritone, which I assume will be scale length 27-28” maybe, with heavy strumming, I think you’d be more than fine with a sitka top, and the b&s material will be far less important, more a question of your preference and what the builder thinks works - rosewood can get too many overtones and muddy when strumming a baritone, maple or mahogany may work better, but if you want the overtones, well -
Old 01-04-2019, 07:44 AM

Hard strum and soft finger picking? Sitka would be my first recommendation which would also be the cheapest option. The only other top I would recommend would be Engleman.

Back and sides? Mahogany would pair really nice with either top and again be the most cost effective choice. It is also a fairly neutral sounding wood and I think will add the least color to the tone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
baritone guitar, custom acoustic, wood type