The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-05-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texsunburst59 View Post
I'd always wanted a high end Taylor or Martin for as long as I can remember.

I just could never justify paying 1K+ for them.

So I'd patiently waited for many years till the right
deal presented itself.

Two years ago I stopped by one of my regular pawnshops
to see if the had anything of interest.

I asked my regular sales guy if anything interesting was coming out.

He said there was a pretty nice guitar he could bring out
now.

He brought it to the front and it turned out to be an '03 515-CE Jumbo Custom.

I looked over to find any faults in the guitar.

It has a few small scuffs, scratches, and dents here and
there

I asked the price, and he said $350.

I couldn't believe what I heard.

Well, I NEVER EVER pay full asking price for any guitar.

I showed him all the issues with the guitar, and told him I'd give him $270 out the door right now.

He agreed, and that's how I got my 1st quality Taylor.
Now that is a great deal! Wow! Nice guitar too! The Jumbos are awesome!
Old 01-05-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd View Post
Now that is a great deal! Wow! Nice guitar too! The Jumbos are awesome!
Thanks Rick.

The sad thing is they didn't know what they had, cause it doesn't have a model number on the label to let them know what model it is.

You can't really look up a cost of a use Jumbo Custom. Since they're custom ordered, it's hard to get a real cost.

The only reason I know it's a base 515-CE with custom appointments is I got one of the Taylor reps to find the original order for the guitar.

I just really lucked out on this score. I doubt I'll ever find a deal on this nice a Taylor again.
'81 Martin 7-28 7/8 D-28
'03 Taylor Jumbo Custom
'04 Ramirez 1-E Classical
'09 Breedlove Roots OM/SR acoustic/electric
‘15 Martin Centennial DC - 28E
Old 01-05-2017, 10:01 PM

Default My fave

...is my Taylor 314ce. I bought it from one of you Forum members (Gangstapat). He was working in Austin and willing to drive to San Antonio to show me the guitar. We met in the parking lot of a massive suburban shopping area. He pulled up, brought out the guitar and I started looking it over, and playing it. I was pleased, and I was about ready to do business.

Then this guy drives up in this old beast...stops...rolls down his window and says "Hey, what's goin' on?"

We can immediately see that this is potential trouble. He really seems pretty shady. Seems to be scoping us out. He sees expensive guitar, a guy showing it to another guy and is pretty obviously thinking "there's some real money involved here...what can I get away with?"

We answered generically, not trying to engage. He talks off and on for a minute or so, and probably seeing that he wouldn't be able to pull off any funny business, finally he pulls away and go parks. Me and Gangstapat get in my car and I don't pull out the cash 'til we see the guy disappear into a store. Everything went smoothly. I got a great guitar and he got what he was asking for.
2015 Martin GPCPA5
2016 Taylor 214ce-Nylon
2015 Ventura VWDONAT
Old 01-06-2017, 12:01 AM

Mine is my 528e. I bought it online hoping it would be the sound I was looking for but afraid it would be too dark or be all bass. However, when I got the guitar it took one strum to realise I finally had a guitar that had the perfect tone for me. I haven't looked back.

It's a phenomenal guitar.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

My newly acquired 114e

I had been searching for a moderately priced guitar that was stress free. I wanted something friends could play when they came over - something that sounded good, yet that I would not worry about if it got dinged.

I stumbled upon the 114e and was truly amazed by the tone, the comfort and the price point. I really dig this guitar and it was very affordable.

For the time being, my boutique builds are taking a backseat to the 114. There is something so freeing about this Taylor...it reminds me of why I first stared playing the guitar....and that, is a really nice feeling!
Old 01-06-2017, 07:20 AM

John sold me this guitar and it's my favorite (only) Taylor 6-string. Brazilian with honest wear.

f-d
Old 01-06-2017, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
John sold me this guitar and it's my favorite (only) Taylor 6-string. Brazilian with honest wear.

f-d
These have all been great stories, but being a fellow Virginian and Cephas/Wiggins fan, fatt-dad's gets my vote (so far). I should add that my first Taylor, a 455 that I still regret selling, got me started on this love affair with an amazing guitar and amazing company. Keep those stories coming....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-06-2017, 10:16 AM

I bought this guitar Christmas 2015 and gave gift cards to the fam.
Generosity is a beautiful thing!

Old 01-06-2017, 10:35 AM

Christmas of 2000 - I was 18 at the time and my parents decided to get me a nice guitar as a present. I had been playing a lot on a crappy Epiphone acoustic that I had had for a couple years, and had been wanting a nice acoustic/electric to play out with. My buddy who I played with quite frequently had just gotten a new 614ce shortly before and I had fallen in love with it. It played and sounded wonderful, and was my introduction to Taylor guitars. I had never heard of them before playing his, and that introduction was all I needed to know that I had to have one eventually.

My folks took me to a local shop and I played several different models, mostly Taylors but some Gibsons and Martins too. Eventually I picked up a 414ce that just blew me away. The sound and playability was fantastic. I loved the GA body shape compared to the Dread I had been playing, as it was just more comfortable to me. Tonally, it seemed to fit my playing style really well also. Also, the price of the 414 was a little more attainable than the 6-series I was originally lusting after, which I'm sure my parents appreciated. After playing this one though, I didn't even pick up the 614 again. This was the one.

Since then I have bought and sold probably 35-40 guitars. I currently still have my 414ce. It is one of the "keepers" that you know you can't part with. It has major fret wear, the body has a bunch of "signs of use" from playing out and travelling with it. I have a lot of memories with that guitar, and it still is the standard that I compare all my other guitars to. It is the one that I hope to pass on to my son some day when he's old enough (he's only 2 now, but already likes it).

My new-to-me 2010 814ce is probably another keeper (time will tell), as it is another one that just inspires me to play more... but my 414ce will always be my first.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:47 AM

My favourite Taylor in terms of sound is my 810ce Ltd Madagascar from 2006. I acquired this guitar used for a measely 2000$ a few years back and after a while I found that the saddle had been cut wrong. It already sounded pretty good but it sounded much better after I fixed it. Only a tiny ding in the top, the rest was in mint condintion as it had never been really played.

In terms of aesthetics my all Koa Ltd GA from 2011 is the most beautifull of all my guitars. It sounds good too but the sound is more jazzy, which isn't my preferred style to play. Someone else may look at it the other way though, it all depends on what you play. In any case, this guitar invites me to play more jazz so it serves a great purpose.

You may have guessed by now that I only own two Taylors and some other brands, to me they're the culmination of Taylor craftmanship but then again I've not really seen much from them I didn't like.

Ludwig
Old 01-06-2017, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

As an unabashed Taylor fanatic and self-proclaimed know-it-all, I declare that the GA3 is the best bang-for-the-buck Taylor guitar ever made. It is their lowest priced all solid wood guitar - a 314 without the bling, no electronics and no cutaway. the xAx or X14 series use Taylor's own signature Grand Auditorium body shape/size so it's classic Taylor.

For anyone wanting a Taylor guitar, the GA3 is the best deal to be had. Since they discontinued that line they are becoming less and less available and they are such a good deal.....oops....I oversold it now this one's price will go up.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

Last edited by Glennwillow; 01-06-2017 at 02:04 PM. Reason: removed quotes
Old 01-06-2017, 12:14 PM

Didn't she buy and sell a 514 LTD 3 times?
Old 01-06-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post

As an unabashed Taylor fanatic and self-proclaimed know-it-all, I declare that the GA3 is the best bang-for-the-buck Taylor guitar ever made. It is their lowest priced all solid wood guitar - a 314 without the bling, no electronics and no cutaway.
I'm amazed that I completely agree with you. The original sapele/spruce, right?

Relative of mine has one -- I get to play it occasionally. I like it's slightly raw, down-to-earth tone. Great for roots/blues type music. Not the more typical modern/refined Taylor tone. But I'll bet YMMV.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Those who have met Martin Taylor (the jazz guitarist) will have their favorite Martin Taylor story.

Tony
I certainly have a great Martin Taylor story! In fact, my wife and are going to see him in just a few days in Seattle at Jazz Alley!

Oh.... back to our regular programming now...

- Glenn
Old 01-06-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post

As an unabashed Taylor fanatic and self-proclaimed know-it-all, I declare that the GA3 is the best bang-for-the-buck Taylor guitar ever made.
It's true, the GA3 is the best Taylor value in my opinion, I got mine for $400. I like the Taylor neck, however my Eastman and Bedells sound better for the same price so the Taylor is going to go.
Bedell TB 18G
Bedell TB 28 G 12 string
Bedell Performance Plus JB-52-12-G
Eastman AC 420

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion