The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-14-2024, 08:09 AM

Default UAD Apollo Twin MKII and Logic Pro X - getting them to work together

Hi, I have up to date UAD Apollo Twin MKII and up to date Logic Pro X. I can get the vocal or other sound I want in Console, but it doesn't print onto the Logic recording even if I set it to UAD Rec.
Any suggestions? It sounds great in Console, but that's no good by itself.
I'm running all the UAD apps inside Console, which was the idea of getting the unit, so that there would be no lags or usage problems.
Old 04-14-2024, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

I don't know about that stuff (saw this question elsewhere), but if you're using the Control app, have you set the [Apollo/Console] "virtual" inputs and outputs in Logic, or are you set to use the *interface's* inputs and outputs?
Old 04-14-2024, 07:07 PM

I'm using Console, not Logic. So I try to set it up in Console. The reason is that this is supposed to be very low latency.
Old 04-14-2024, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

Did you try not using Console and, if you did, was latency an issue?
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 04-14-2024, 10:42 PM

Yes, and the main problem was constantly running out of resources. When you use the resources of Console, you do not have to worry about that.
Latency is not a problem for keyboards, but it is a problem for voice.
Old 04-15-2024, 12:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstorecowboy View Post
Yes, and the main problem was constantly running out of resources. When you use the resources of Console, you do not have to worry about that.
Latency is not a problem for keyboards, but it is a problem for voice.
What are you calling "resources"?

YouTube
Old 04-15-2024, 06:01 AM

Basically you run out of power. You can only use so many plugins at one time.
Old 04-15-2024, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Please take a screenshot of your Logic settings showing which inputs and outputs you are using and post that here. And, you'll need to show which specific (numbered) inputs are assigned to your recording tracks, too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 8.34.33 AM.jpg (28.9 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by keith.rogers; 04-15-2024 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-15-2024, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi, I have up to date UAD Apollo Twin MKII and up to date Logic Pro X. I can get the vocal or other sound I want in Console, but it doesn't print onto the Logic recording even if I set it to UAD Rec.
I'm running all the UAD apps inside Console, which was the idea of getting the unit, so that there would be no lags or usage problems.
Unfortunately I do not use any Apollo gear. So not much help there
But in general, in order to streamline any help suggestions, it works much better if you go into your "User CP' (control panel) go to "Signature"and list your system (see mine below) this precludes numbers of the inevitable qualifying questions necessary to give informed suggestions
And the screen shot suggestions is spot on also (providing you know how get clear not blurry screen shots posted)

Because for example (all else being equal ) if your Mac is not ancient and very RAM limited ---you should not be getting any running out of CPU warnings

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 04-15-2024 at 07:58 AM.
Old 04-15-2024, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Unfortunately I do not use any Apollo gear. So not much help there
But in order to streamline any help suggestions It works much better if you go into your "User CP' (control panel) go to "Signature"and list your system (see mine below) this precludes numbers of the inevitable qualifying questions necessary to give informed suggestions
And the screen shot suggestions is spot on also (providing you know how get clear not blurry screen shots posted)

Because for example (all else being equal ) if your Mac is not ancient and very RAM limited ---you should not be getting any running out of CPU warnings
Kev, I was using a 2017 iMac until recently, and before that a 2012 Mac Mini, and hitting resource limits is rare, but not impossible, depending entirely on the plugins being used, and also to some degree the project file location (HDD, SSD) and connection/bus speed. But you know that. OP's desire is to use the UAD "firmware" plugins he's hearing in console and record the "wet" signal. I did RTFM for the software and it appears you need to use some virtual paths to capture that audio, but not being a UAD user, I could not confirm it. The cowboy needs to open the kimono a bit, to mix some metaphors, because we're just guessing, IMHO. (Regardless, I'd still suggest recording both the wet and dry tracks on separate tracks, and experiment with setting the same plugs on the dry track, turned off, and then maybe turn them on for mixing, where latency is not an issue. But, that would just be me...)

Last edited by keith.rogers; 04-15-2024 at 08:03 AM. Reason: fix dyslexic typo to put Mini in this century
Old 04-15-2024, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's because you're running out of dsp and that happens the same whether you use Console or you use your daw.

UA plugins run off the dsp in Apollo interfaces, UA satellites, and/or UA accelerator cards (the latter two are only useful for mixing). The amount of dsp in your system limits how many plugin instances you can use. For some of their plugins, UA has native versions which don't rely on dsp but I'm unsure if those can be used in Console during recording; I suspect not.

Here's UA's usage chart that shows how much dsp each plugin instance takes up:
https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/art...AD-2-DSP-Chart

Just out of curiosity, and this has no effect on dsp usage, what computer are you using and what are it's specs (cpu and ram)?

YouTube
Old 04-15-2024, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
His complaint is about only being able to "use so many plugins at one time." Since he's referring to UAD plugins inside of UA Console while recording, that points to a complaint about limited dsp in his Apollo interface. His computer doesn't affect that. He's limited by having just two dsp chips in his interface.

YouTube
Old 04-15-2024, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
His complaint is about only being able to "use so many plugins at one time." Since he's referring to UAD plugins inside of UA Console while recording, that points to a complaint about limited dsp in his Apollo interface. His computer doesn't affect that. He's limited by having just two dsp chips in his interface.
This is correct.

Billy
Old 04-15-2024, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

I read the OP's initial post as simply that he could not record in Logic what he was hearing in the Console app monitoring. Yes, he's using the Console app and DSP FX because using FX in the DAW incurs latency, but I didn't read the ask as what was wrong with his computer, but why he couldn't simply record what he was hearing.
Old 04-15-2024, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Me too, Keith. I think it's a routing issue in the DAW as you alluded to.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD