The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-15-2021, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dut4907 View Post
Just ordered a K&K pickup for my Taylor DN3 and was wondering if anyone had any tips or suggestions on installation or playing with the pickup?
Hi D-4907

I own 5 acoustic guitars with K&K Pure Mini pickups, and paying a professional tech to install them was worth the extra $50…EVERY TIME.

No templates, no practicing feeling around in the inside and attempting to visualize what I cannot see etc.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-15-2021, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

I’d highly recommend the UltraTonic - a big step up from the K&K, and arguably easier to install. But if you have already purchased the K&K, the UltraTonic conversion/upgrade kit should be on your radar -
Old 03-15-2021, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
In high precision applications flatness is *THE* critical manufacturing factor for flexural piezoceramics. It is very important and makes a big difference.

Low cost manufacturing is low cost because sometimes you skimp on the finer details. Getting this detail right is expensive but also very important.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-15-2021, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Default Drilling out the end pin hole to accommodate jack plug.

I've drilled out endpin holes using two methods, drill bits and a reamer that I bought specifically for the job from Stewmac. Both worked well but it took many weeks to get the reamer. I suggest that if you use the step up method with drill bits that you go with as small increments as possible using sharp bits. Also no need to drill all the way to the full 1/2" dia. I found that the bit in my index just before the 1/2" bit (31/64th) gave a nice fit to the jack plug. I've done 3 installation of K+K pure minis with total success. I'd also suggest that you mask off the top just to be safe from the CA glue dripping on the finish. Good luck.
Old 03-15-2021, 01:55 PM

Quote:
The template (and supplied golf tee...) are a nice feature, but I found other differences, too. Since I've used both I was interested in comparing the ACTUAL differences rather than opinions on what someone thought was a better deal.

The barrel jack threads are rough on the JJB and the end cap is less substantial where the strap notch is. The more concerning part for me is the actual transducer faces are slightly cup-shaped on the JJB I ordered. All of my K&Ks have been perfectly flat. It might not make any difference ultimately if they are installed with a thick layer of CA gel glue, but it didn't give me the idea that they are "identical" as what you usually see posted by users.

Is the K&K worth twice the price? That's up for debate.

In the interest of full disclosure, I had to replace the original input Jack that came with the JJB. I have heard he is using a better one now.
As far as the price goes, I still like the more natural voicing I get out of the JJB. As Leew said, you may have some bass issues with the K&K and it is a “hotter” pickup. Could be that “shape thing” ??

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-15-2021, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The barrel jack threads are rough on the JJB and the end cap is less substantial where the strap notch is. The more concerning part for me is the actual transducer faces are slightly cup-shaped on the JJB I ordered. All of my K&Ks have been perfectly flat. It might not make any difference ultimately if they are installed with a thick layer of CA gel glue, but it didn't give me the idea that they are "identical" as what you usually see posted by users.
Thanks for the detailed comparison. It makes sense that there might be some corners cut with the JJB. I have installed JJBs on a number of guitars and my ears were satisfied.
Old 03-15-2021, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Which acoustic amp would work best with the K&K?
You're going to get a lot of opinions on this. For me it's the ToneDexter.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 03-16-2021, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Which acoustic amp would work best with the K&K?

My k&k on my Gibson sounds Great straight into my Gentzler AA Pro. I HIGHLY recommend it
1965 Gibson J-45 w/K&K/Ultratonic conversion
1940's??? Harmony Patrician archtop
2002 Taylor Big Baby
1985 Kentucky KM850 mando w/lr baggs radius
1959 Gibson A-5 Mando
2004 Fender Strat (Mexican)
Army bugle
Old autoharp
Indian flute
Cowbell
Old 03-16-2021, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog View Post
Put several layers of blue tape where you will drill out the end pin hole and I recommend using a countersink bit before drilling. Carefully use the countersink until you get a diameter "just" larger than the drill size. This will help keep the drilling process from pulling a chip from the face of the guitar. Don't go too large or the jack won't cover the area.
I’ve done 6 or 7 myself. It’s not hard if you take time and practice.

As far as tape..I always tape up the face of the guitar between the sound hole and the bridge as well as a couple inches from the sound hole to the sides. CA gel destroys a finish upon contact, even a pinhead size drop. (Ask me how I know.)

Oh, and take your Rolex off before you go reaching into the guitar...
Old 03-16-2021, 12:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
That's very funny. I'd hate to buy a used guitar and find a Rolex left in there by accident... surely a sign that the install was not done by a luthier!
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 03-16-2021, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alnico5 View Post
I use them with a Loudbox Mini amp at my gigs. I am not looking for any improvements. The pickup wants a 1 megohm input impedance and the Loudbox Mini supplies this. I do not use an external preamp.

The Loudbox Mini is 10 megaohms. I have to turn down the bass all the way one mine when using the K&K pure mini.
Old 03-16-2021, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
I’ve done 6 or 7 myself. It’s not hard if you take time and practice.

As far as tape..I always tape up the face of the guitar between the sound hole and the bridge as well as a couple inches from the sound hole to the sides. CA gel destroys a finish upon contact, even a pinhead size drop. (Ask me how I know.)

On a related note, if installing on a guitar that has a small sound hole you may have to make a new jig. This was the first I installed and the victim was a Little Martin.

Added: the point of this post was to show a jig I made for this purpose but I was unable to both attach an image file and a link to the file on another site.

Last edited by Kerbie; 09-04-2021 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-16-2021, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog View Post
On a related note, if installing on a guitar that has a small sound hole you may have to make a new jig. This was the first I installed and the victim was a Little Martin.

Added: the point of this post was to show a jig I made for this purpose but I was unable to both attach an image file and a link to the file on another site. Couldn't delete the post either. Awesome.
Now you make me wonder what the sound hole size has to do with the alignment jig. I'm not following that.
Old 03-16-2021, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Now you make me wonder what the sound hole size has to do with the alignment jig. I'm not following that.
It's a matter of getting one's hand in the guitar to actually install it.

Last edited by Kerbie; 09-04-2021 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-16-2021, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Use gel glue as they strongly recommend. Dont even THINK about not covering every square inch of guitar that you dont want to drop glue on!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification