The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-13-2024, 12:18 AM

Default 2 things into one input of a portable pa???

Simply put, I need to get two things into one of the inputs of my
Everse 8 if possible. Is there anyway to do it? Let’s eliminate one option being a mixer because as of right now I’ve researched the battery powered mixers and I’m not totally sure how valid it’ll be for the length of my gigs. Some reviews are claiming extremely short times.

Realistically I have two amp sim pedals that are 9v powered. I’d like to sum them to one input. Is this at all possible in a passive sense? The pedals themselves have their own separate gain? Volume and eq so any volume issues could be sorted. Would an aby work in this case?
Old 04-13-2024, 08:39 AM

Saturnworks might have what you're looking for
Old 04-13-2024, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

I'm not sure whether I'm understanding your situation accurately. However, I use this pedal to run two acoustic instruments into one channel of a Bose S1 if that helps.

https://www.sweetwater.com/c880--Ped...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 04-13-2024, 09:13 AM

An A/B pedal.
Old 04-13-2024, 09:35 AM

It's so "technically" wrong to even say this, but having been in a lot of weird gig
and studio situations where the only solution was a MacGyver solution... just try a passive Y adapter and see if it works. You won't blow anything up. Worst case, it'll just sound bad. I've y'ed two dynamic mics into one input many times with no problem, and even two Neumann U67's with external power supplies. I've also tried it with two phantom power mics and had it not work. Not well, anyway.

Couch Standards
Old 04-13-2024, 11:41 AM

If you can do a bit of soldering, a simple passive mixer could be cobbled together in a small aluminum electronics project box and wouldn't cost much at all to build.
The output of the pedals should have enough signal output that going through the two resistors shouldn't cause much signal loss and the resistors serve to isolate the pedal outputs from each other. As this has no means to 'mix' the level of the output, the levels would need to be set on the pedals themselves. This could also split one input to two outputs using the jack on the right side of the diagram as an input.

Old 04-13-2024, 11:46 AM

I bought an XLR combiner like this. New they’re expensive, but you can find deals on Reverb and eBay. You will lose output sensitivity, but if you start with mics with neodymium magnets (Shure Beta58), the combined signal will still be as strong as from a regular magnet mic (Shure SM58):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27628497584...Bk9SR-LtmobbYw
Old 04-13-2024, 03:47 PM

We do this to plug 2 mics into a single XLR input on our PA. We use a simple XLR splitter. The thing is for a given gain setting each mic will be half as loud as it would be if it were the only mic plugged into the channel.

Steve Forbert - As We Live and Breathe
Old 04-20-2024, 08:57 AM

I would use matched mics with any sort of passive combiner or Y.
Old 04-20-2024, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
I'm not sure whether I'm understanding your situation accurately. However, I use this pedal to run two acoustic instruments into one channel of a Bose S1 if that helps.

https://www.sweetwater.com/c880--Ped...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
That looks good - I use the cheaper one without volume controls. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...switcher-pedal
Old 04-20-2024, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hicks View Post
That looks good - I use the cheaper one without volume controls. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...switcher-pedal
Good call Dave, I need the volume controls as I'm running two instruments with differing signal levels. The K & K in my mandolin is much hotter than the pickups in any of the guitars I use in the other channel.
Old 04-21-2024, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
Good call Dave, I need the volume controls as I'm running two instruments with differing signal levels. The K & K in my mandolin is much hotter than the pickups in any of the guitars I use in the other channel.
I've used electric instruments with mine. The mandolin has lots lower output, but when I hit the fuzz pedal it didn't seem to matter.

D.H.
Old 04-22-2024, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hicks View Post
I've used electric instruments with mine. The mandolin has lots lower output, but when I hit the fuzz pedal it didn't seem to matter.

D.H.
yes, my electric mandolin is much lower output. We play pretty traditional sounding mandolin tunes so I've no need for the fuzz pedal, but the idea sounds fun!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification