The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-29-2019, 09:10 PM

Default Questions about Seagull S6 Spruce Sunburst

Is anyone familiar with this particular seagull? I have only seen one YouTube demo. I’m curious about it and how it compares to the classic S6 in sound and feel. From the description I know it has a gloss spruce top instead of the standard cedar. Any owners here or anyone try one before?
Thanks!
Old 04-29-2019, 09:11 PM

Default ask the manufacturer

The manufacturer would know whether there is any difference besides the finish. I've had good results by sending them an e-mail.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigToeify View Post
Is anyone familiar with this particular seagull? I have only seen one YouTube demo. I’m curious about it and how it compares to the classic S6 in sound and feel. From the description I know it has a gloss spruce top instead of the standard cedar. Any owners here or anyone try one before?

Thanks!
I think what you are asking is specs and especially sound differences between it and the Classic S6.

I have one of these. I like it a lot. That said, I did a lot of personalizing of it.

OK, body shape? The same. Neck, Slim version, Short Scale( the Classic is the same). Older versions had the wider 1.8 nut width. The top is spruce. It is brighter but spruce is more durable than Cedar.

It's cherry sides and back. Spruce top. High gloss top. 1.72 nut width. Short scale.

Here is what I did to suit me.

Colosi bone saddle. (I find Tusk to be harsh.)
African Blackwood bridge pins. Heavy and dense. I think they smooth out the tone, adds a bit of bottom.
I replaced the stock tuners with Gotoh SG 301 18:1. Nothing wrong with the stock tuners. I just like the 18:1 tuners better and I had them.

Finally, GHS Vintage Bronze strings. OR Martin Retros OR Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze.

I like to make up my own True Mediums with the GHS. Martin has their own version.

Then play it a lot. Play it in.

I think Seagulls of all flavors are great guitars.

I hope this helps.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:55 PM
Charter Member

I don't see that model on their website, but their website isn't always accurate, anyway. The spruce top is going to be brighter than their traditional cedar. The other thing to check on would be the nut width. The classic S6 has a 1.80" nut width (string spacing is same as most 1.75" guitars), but they also make models with a more narrow 1.72" nut width. Also, depending on the year, they've changed up their fretboard material, so you could get Rosewood, Richlite, or some other material.

I'd contact the dealer, if they have it in stock. Otherwise, drop an email to Michel at Seagull. He's super responsive to inquiries.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post
I think what you are asking is specs and especially sound differences between it and the Classic S6.

I have one of these. I like it a lot. That said, I did a lot of personalizing of it.

OK, body shape? The same. Neck, Slim version, Short Scale( the Classic is the same). Older versions had the wider 1.8 nut width. The top is spruce. It is brighter but spruce is more durable than Cedar.

It's cherry sides and back. Spruce top. High gloss top. 1.72 nut width. Short scale.

Here is what I did to suit me.

Colosi bone saddle. (I find Tusk to be harsh.)
African Blackwood bridge pins. Heavy and dense. I think they smooth out the tone, adds a bit of bottom.
I replaced the stock tuners with Gotoh SG 301 18:1. Nothing wrong with the stock tuners. I just like the 18:1 tuners better and I had them.

Finally, GHS Vintage Bronze strings. OR Martin Retros OR Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze.

I like to make up my own True Mediums with the GHS. Martin has their own version.

Then play it a lot. Play it in.

I think Seagulls of all flavors are great guitars.

I hope this helps.
I love the sunburst finish. Reminds me of a J-45. I wonder if they were after some version of that? Do you know what strings and gauge they use as standard? I’m leaning towards this model because it has electronics. What do you think of the system? I like the fact that it is spruce giving it a brighter sound. The cedar is nice but just a tad warmer than I prefer. But I love the feel of seagulls in the hands. At least the ones I’ve tried.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
I don't see that model on their website, but their website isn't always accurate, anyway. The spruce top is going to be brighter than their traditional cedar. The other thing to check on would be the nut width. The classic S6 has a 1.80" nut width (string spacing is same as most 1.75" guitars), but they also make models with a more narrow 1.72" nut width. Also, depending on the year, they've changed up their fretboard material, so you could get Rosewood, Richlite, or some other material.

I'd contact the dealer, if they have it in stock. Otherwise, drop an email to Michel at Seagull. He's super responsive to inquiries.
I emailed them hoping for more info. I wonder how long they made this model? I like that it’s a spruce top. I’ve played the classic s6 so I’m really curious how the sound differs. GC is bringing in one for me.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:06 AM

Quote:
I love the sunburst finish. Reminds me of a J-45. I wonder if they were after some version of that? Do you know what strings and gauge they use as standard? I’m leaning towards this model because it has electronics. What do you think of the system? I like the fact that it is spruce giving it a brighter sound. The cedar is nice but just a tad warmer than I prefer. But I love the feel of seagulls in the hands. At least the ones I’ve tried.
I can't help you on the electronics as mine has none. It comes standard with Godin's own strings. Light gauge. The top is very sturdy. Adirondack braces. It will handle True Mediums or mediums.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:29 AM

I've only heard one and it was a friends. I had a cedar S6 at the time, and liked mine a lot better. It was night and day.

But, that was the only one I've ever heard. Maybe my friend had a dud.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 04-30-2019, 08:43 AM

The spruce topped versions take quite a bit longer to play in. You have to be more patient with them than cedar.

FYI... This model has been discontinued. That said, there are still many around, used and new.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post
The spruce topped versions take quite a bit longer to play in. You have to be more patient with them than cedar.

FYI... This model has been discontinued. That said, there are still many around, used and new.
I suppose that would be true with most spruce tops. Cedar is a softer wood and needs less breaking in versus spruce.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
I've only heard one and it was a friends. I had a cedar S6 at the time, and liked mine a lot better. It was night and day.

But, that was the only one I've ever heard. Maybe my friend had a dud.
I can understand that. Especially when you had a cedar S6. Apples and oranges I suppose when trying to compare the same guitar with different wood tops.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:15 AM

My only dreadnaught is a 23 year old s6 Spruce.

They're a great sounding guitar, and yeah, it does get better the more you play it. These sunburst models looked great, I'd say take a chance on it.

And as for the Gibson comparison, yeah, I do think the s6 Spruce gets quite into the territory of a Gibson slope shouldered dread, especially with well played in strings.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 04-30-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
I can understand that. Especially when you had a cedar S6. Apples and oranges I suppose when trying to compare the same guitar with different wood tops.
It wasn't just that. The majority of my guitars are spruce topped, so I was very familiar what they sound like. His guitar just sounded dead to me.

But, like I said, it's one data point.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 04-30-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
It wasn't just that. The majority of my guitars are spruce topped, so I was very familiar what they sound like. His guitar just sounded dead to me.

But, like I said, it's one data point.
True. I will see once they get it in for me to try. I have tried a few high end Martins before and some of them sounded dead to me also. I guess it just depends on the guitar. I’m hoping this one doesn’t sound dead as paying $500 for well built guitar is appealing.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Thanks!
my first guitar was an S6Folk it was cedar . truly a great guitar. Seagulls are under rated

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion