The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 05-15-2016, 12:10 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
These ELAC look interesting. Made in China but apparently designed by Andrew Jones and appear to be cutting cost by direct marketing

Another excellent speaker (said to be budget audiophile class) I would definitely consider also with direct marketing, although a bit more expensive but made here the US is SVS.... For example the SVS Prime Series Tower is $499 ea. where the ELAC Debut F6 Tower is $379 ea. link here http://www.svsound.com/pages/prime-systems

So, back in the real world, If I were to really pare down, I'd spend the most on speakers, either the SEAS Pendragons (best sound for the money on the market IMO) or go with a set of used electrostatics, like Magnepan. Trust me, this where spending the most percentage on speakers pays off.

.You see where I believe the speaker is the most important part?
It would interesting to hear the Tekton SEAS Pandragon , the web sight does not say the actual type of cabinet ? I notice Tekton also make a studio Monitor (albeit not w/SEAS) .... Having SEAS drivers in my Amphion studio monitors I do think they are outstanding accurate transducers[/QUOTE]

I admit I haven't heard the Pendragons in person, but I have SEAS drivers in my Joseph Audio Pulsars, and given the dimensions of the speaker and cabinet (I'm assuming composite wood) I have to imagine that they would thump the bejeezus out of my house. The reviewer mentions something along the lines of "great for rock music" so I interpreted that as they were great at higher volumes.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post

I admit I haven't heard the Pendragons in person, but I have SEAS drivers in my Joseph Audio Pulsars, and given the dimensions of the speaker and cabinet (I'm assuming composite wood) I have to imagine that they would thump the bejeezus out of my house. The reviewer mentions something along the lines of "great for rock music" so I interpreted that as they were great at higher volumes.
Great on Rock music, ya either "great loud" or really shines on 3 power chords in 57 variations

Actually being a child of the 60's I love good Rock n Roll. like Neil said "Rock and Roll will never die"

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 05-16-2016 at 10:31 AM.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:56 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
I wasn't aware of that site, but am I missing something? Most of the reviews on that site seem to be fairly expensive stuff. His editor choices for one, have systems that are $100k:

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/most-wanted/

Just wondering if I'm looking at the wrong part of his site.
Here's another site where I can find good deals on used speakers.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/208-classifieds/
Old 04-22-2022, 03:56 AM

Although this thread is old, I would like to tell you that hifi is my other great hobby apart from the guitar. These are the two teams to which I dedicate part of my time. Anyway, the best of all is my fabulous club with more than two thousand titles, mostly jazz.

2023 Loef 00 13 fret
2018 Loef Dread SS 12 fret
1972 Yamaha FG-75 Red Label
2017 Kremona Romida rd-c
Old 05-01-2022, 12:58 PM

I've spent a good few years buying, trading etc to get to the below...

Rega RP8 turntable with rewired arm, Benz Micro Ace HOMC cartridge which goes into Croft Acoustics RIAA phono stage

Bluesound Node2 streamer (actually running from connected hard drive).

Ekco EV55SE Valve amp

Sonus Faber Concerto Domus speakers

with a mixture of decent quality cables from various sources.

It sounds like music - as far as I'm concerned that's the whole reason to invest time and money into hi-fi... I'm listening to the artist, not the technology.

Huss and Dalton 00-SP
Martin OM21
Martin 000-17SM
Sigma SDM-18S
Naylor 'Spered Evel' custom made
Old 05-01-2022, 01:04 PM

A poor photo of my system...

Huss and Dalton 00-SP
Martin OM21
Martin 000-17SM
Sigma SDM-18S
Naylor 'Spered Evel' custom made
Old 05-02-2022, 03:37 AM
AGF Sponsor

I don't have anything very esoteric for a stereo system, but it certainly dates me....every time I ask it out.....

Sony STR-7045
Tascam CD200-BT
Klipsch Heresy Speakers c.1980's

It's simple and I can run my phone through the Tascam easily.

Howard Emerson
Old 05-02-2022, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Boy, that sure is another hobby that invites GAS! For a time, I joined the local Audio Society. It was largely populated by people with serious money - professionals such as doctors and lawyers and engineers (long before I got my degree and entered that career field).

The reason I joined was that every year, they would hold a flea market that was only open to members. I could buy really nice equipment for pennies on the dollar, Stax electrostatic headphones, nice tube pre and power amps, speakers, turntables (this was early 1980s), etc.

These people would buy equipment seemingly for the bragging rights. As long as the audio magazines were touting some piece of gear, these folks had to have it. Soon after some other piece of gear became the next big thing, the previously touted gear was shelved and the next big thing became the thing to buy. The shelved gear was sold cheap at the next flea market.

In one occasion, I built a negative feedback integrated amplifier from the schematics in Popular Electronics magazine for a 60w per channel solid state amplifier whose design came from the Georgia Tech engineering department. I brought it to the next audio society meeting to demonstrate.

People acted shocked at the audacity of a mere mortal thinking he could build build an amplifier worth even a glance. My focus was entirely different from theirs. To me, building, and eventually designing this stuff was where the fun was. Eventually, I realized that my way of thinking just didn't belong there, so I moved on.

It was funny to see people buy into some really crazy fads, the tricks to make their systems sound better such as special bricks to sit the turntable on, or a magic marker to paint the edge of a CD so the laser light wouldn't escape, resulting in a truer sound, or a special box in which your CD is spun to remove all the static so the CD sounds pure. P.T. Barnum would have been proud of the people who made and sold this stuff.

When we moved into our condo in 1988, I sold my component stereo system. At that time, I had pared it down to an Advent Stereo 300 receiver as preamp/tuner into a modified Dynaco Stereo 70 tube power amp, going into a pair of DCM Time Window speaker systems. I don't recall what the turntable was, but it was one of those with a tone arm that traveled in a straight line instead of pivoting from a single point. My cassette deck was a Nakamichi.

The DCM Time Window speakers were excellent for reproducing solo acoustic guitar or piano or small acoustic ensembles (still my choice in music). A rocker wouldn't have fared well with these speakers.

Now, all I do is rip a CD to MP3 and play it on my cell phone. Convenience seems to be the rule of the day. I have a 1 TB micro SD card in my cell phone loaded with ripped CDs, and a decent pair of Sennheiser bluetooth earbuds.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-02-2022, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

If I had more money, this is definitely an area where I'd be directing more.

Current main system:
NAD 316 BEE V2 Integrated
Music Hall 2.3 Turntable with Nagaoka MP-110 Cartridge
Wharfdale Diamond 225 speakers
Cheap Sony CD player

I've just been looking at upgrading my streaming quality and bought a WiiM Mini and am looking for an external DAC to pair it with.

I have to say that the Wharfdales are spectacular for the money, and the flexibility of being able to place them near the wall (because of their downward firing ports) really helps in my space.

I keep on think about upgrading the amp. Before the NAD I had an Onkyo A-9010 which I thought sounded great, but I ended up having the wonky volume control. I like the NAD alright, but have never been super happy, it drives my speakers to plenty of volume, but seems to lack a little authority and get a little washed out. I've been eyeing the Marantz 7000N. But I have too many other things i've been spending money on lately (and a custom guitar coming in a couple of months).

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 05-02-2022, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Smile Audiophiles are People Too

This is a great thread to read. I have been an audiophile for 40 years. I was a hi-fi salesperson at a small, independent store for seven years in Northern California from 1985 to 1992, and still look back at this as my favorite job. Since that time, I have continued to subscribe and read Stereophile and The Absolute Sound magazines every month. This hobby brings me as much enjoyment as playing guitar. I am surprised there are not more audiophiles on this forum.

My best hi-fi system is in my den, and it is the main system I use for music listening (CD and SACD), gaming and music production. I listen mainly to progressive rock, jazz/fusion, 70's rock, and singer/songwriter/guitar music. I have a lot of rare/collectible/import CD's and SACD's including the Yes and Genesis SACD's. My system consists of the following components, most of which I purchased on Audiogon over many years and upgrades:

Ryan S610 speakers in red walnut on Primacoustic Recoil Stabilizer stands
Velodyne Optimum 12 subwoofer on Auralex isolation platform
Bryston BP26 / MPS2 preamplifier and power supply
Bryston 2.5BSST2 amplifier
Bryston BDA2 DAC
Marantz SA-11S3 and Yamaha CD-S2100 CD/SACD players
Audioquest Meteor bi-wire speaker cables
Kimber Select KS1126 balanced interconnects between Bryston components
Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 7 and Audioquest Angel RCA interconnects for SACD players
WireWorld Gold Starlight 7 digital cables
Kimber Palladian power cables for Bryston components and Velodyne
Audioquest power cables for SACD players
Torus RM10 power conditioner

Here is a photo of my system. One of our three family cats, Noel, is featured in the photo.

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut
Old 05-02-2022, 05:24 PM

Thru the 70's and mid 80's I dragged around

Quad electrostatic speakers. Changed to stacked large Advent's in 79. Yeah, I know, but they did sound good

A pair ofMcIntosh MC30's

A heavily modified Fisher 500C for the preamp ( and phono section)

Sometomes a Dynaco pre but it was troublesome.

Thorens TT with SME tonearm.

Now it is simple...
Rega CD player
Rega TT
NAD integrated amp
Axiom speakers.
Old 05-02-2022, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
Thru the 70's and mid 80's I dragged around

Quad electrostatic speakers. Changed to stacked large Advent's in 79. Yeah, I know, but they did sound good

A pair ofMcIntosh MC30's

A heavily modified Fisher 500C for the preamp ( and phono section)

Sometomes a Dynaco pre but it was troublesome.

Thorens TT with SME tonearm.

Now it is simple...
Rega CD player
Rega TT
NAD integrated amp
Axiom speakers.
I had a Fisher 500C complete with the walnut case. As I recall, that one had a plug-in module for FM stereo. My brother still has one, he recently told me.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-02-2022, 10:40 PM

I have a pair of JBL 4310's....
Old 05-03-2022, 06:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post

It was funny to see people buy into some really crazy fads, the tricks to make their systems sound better such as special bricks to sit the turntable on, or a magic marker to paint the edge of a CD so the laser light wouldn't escape, resulting in a truer sound, or a special box in which your CD is spun to remove all the static so the CD sounds pure. P.T. Barnum would have been proud of the people who made and sold this stuff.

Tony
Ain't that the truth. At one time I subscribed to all the stereo magazines, just loved reading about all the cool stuff. It seemed a niche part of the industry was based on selling fairy tales. I do remember the green marker to paint CD edges. I remain confused about how $1,000 cables can make a difference in sound.

I recall going to the stereo shop to buy an equalizer but falling for the sales pitch on a Carver Sonic Holography Generator. It was supposed to magically change a stereo image into a 3D soundstage.

Man I spent all night trying to get that thing to do something .... anything!

Goodall, Martin, Wingert

Last edited by Mr. Paul; 05-03-2022 at 06:22 AM.
Old 05-03-2022, 06:27 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Hilarious quote of the day:

"Audiophiles don't use their equipment to listen to your music. Audiophiles use your music to listen to their equipment." - Alan Parsons

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN