The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-05-2020, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Default Guitar Fever

It's not what you think. Here in the mid-west when a deer bow hunter that can hit targets all day can't hit a deer they say he has deer fever. I have guitar fever. I want to buy a guitar. So I'm checking out every guitar on the internet. I have several in mind. But I bulk at pulling the trigger. Why? Well I've bought and sold about every dream guitar that I ever had serious interest in. And at high to very high price levels. I've been at this for over fifty years. Great guitars but I don't store case queens. The guitars just weren't for me. (at the time) I don't think my perfect guitar exists. They're all just different flavors. My wife told me she doesn't want me selling anymore guitars. Pressure! LOL. She's not serious but I get the point. Now when I look at guitars I find I'm looking at the same guitars I've had. The same styles not the exact same guitars. Though I've done that also. Add to this doing guitar business right now is iffy. I feel guitar prices should come down. I have also noticed that guitar prices have gone up in the last year to eighteen months by quit allot. If I run into a guitar on my short list that is at a bargain price I'd probably do it. I'm not going to pay yesterdays over priced prices in today's/tomorrows market.

I understand this isn't a real problem. Sometimes I just have to get away from thinking about the virus. Stay safe

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 04-05-2020, 06:50 PM

It's all just speculation at this point, but I believe there is a distinct possibility that the prices will come down a lot in the coming months or year. I get your drift though. I once had a Martin 000-28ec that played so well in my hands it practically played me. Something about that particular guitars neck carve, scale length, weight and feel were the perfect recipe for me. Problem is it sounded like it had a wet blanket stuffed in the soundhole. I've played several since then that were nowhere close, although they all sounded better.

I've got this picture in my mind that one day I'll find a guitar that fits me like that one and sounds like a chorus of angels. If such a guitar exists and I find it, look for a massive selloff of some great guitars in the classifieds!
Old 04-05-2020, 06:55 PM
Guest 33123

I have a chronic case, hence 2 NGDs in 7 months. But I'm done. I hope.

I should note that I have not sold any gear since 2015 though.

Last edited by Guest 33123; 04-05-2020 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:08 PM

This situation seems very different for the guitar market. I think we saw guitar sales and re-sales suffer a bit since 2008. The economy bounced back but it has remained a buyers market for the most part including 'finer' guitars. Now we have a nationwide lockdown. This is nothing less than a recession. People are worried about the next paycheck. Will I get another paycheck? How long will this situation go on? Guitars are not priorities. If I need to sell one who is a willing buyer? At what price? The market will become limited for a while in my opinion. All the best, Guys and Gals. We go through it. It may take some time.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:18 PM

My question is you're shelling out what I can only imagine is good money for your dream guitars then you go and sell them? Why??????

I have my dream guitar, ebony black gibson les paul classic with p-90 pickups.... I'd never sell it no matter what, if i lost that guitar you might as well cut all 4 of my limbs off because that's to me what it'd feel like. (i'm very attached to it as you can probably tell) -_-

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion