The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-04-2020, 12:42 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Default We're besides ourselves right now

My wife and I walked around the corner to talk to our neighbors. We're all about 15-25+ feet from each other talking. Our neighbor across the street walks over, stays about 6 feet back and says, because we are talking about the virus, that his daughter has/had it. Her fever has been gone for 3 days now, but they are fine. This guy just had a heart attack 3 months ago and doesn't get tested?!? (Isn't there a 14 day incubation period?)

As we are talking, the daughter is seen leaving the house. We ask our neighbor, isn't that your daughter leaving? "Oh yeah, she's just going out to get food."

Wait, what?

While he was talking, my wife and I both extended our distance to about 20 feet+.

Wow.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-04-2020, 01:10 PM

There's just no making up for stupidity.
Old 04-04-2020, 01:14 PM

Default Hmmmmmm.....

TB...get back in the house!
Old 04-04-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
There's just no making up for stupidity.
Folks (some) will hear what they want and do what they want.......sadly.......and not a few folks will go down because of this and I'm not talking about the ones who will survive.
Glad you gave the extra footage, Barry!!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 04-04-2020, 02:18 PM

This picture seems to be going around today suggesting the soldier is carrying the donkey through a minefield because if it was left to run free it would end up detonating charges and killing someone.

It carries the caption "During difficult times the first ones you have to keep under control are the jackasses who don't understand the danger and do as they please."

YouTube
Old 04-04-2020, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

You just have to scratch your head and wonder about some people...

A man who had been exposed to the coronavirus and who was himself feeling sick hid his symptoms from the staff at a New York hospital so he could join his expectant wife in the maternity center.

He confessed only when his wife began to show symptoms of COVID-19 shortly after giving birth at Strong Memorial Hospital.
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 04-04-2020, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

I only go out of my condo for 2 things right now. Grocery shopping is one of them; I suit up with latex gloves and bring purel for shopping cart handles. I hit the grocery at 7 am. That is an ungodly hour for me but stores around here are stocked up at 7 am. Everyone tries to social distance themselves but sometimes people forget - I do remind them. The lady in front of me on the checkout line this morning tried to use expired credit cards, 2 of them. I was ready to lose it. Her husband (partner? what do I know) stepped in and used his.

I get back, I "disinfect" the food as best as possible, hop in the shower and put on clean clothes (ie, sweats and a t shirt).

There are no delivery or curbside grocery pickup services available at all in my area. Believe me I've checked.

What about getting food bothered you, I'm just curious? Other than getting a bit of socially distant exercise - for me it's about 4 or 5 miles a day of walking - that's all I've been doing for the past month!

Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Fairbanks F20
Rainsong CO-OM1100NST
Old 04-04-2020, 02:49 PM

In instances like this we have to step up as a community. She was going to the store because she felt that nobody else was going to do it. Maybe you or your neighbors could have offered to pick up some items for them?
Old 04-04-2020, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

I don't think there are right answers or wrong answers. We will all have different opinions.

If there are 100 people, other than social distancing, there are going to be 100 opinions on what's right and what's wrong. That's the way we're wired. I don't have any answers except stay away from me, stay away from my kids and stay away from my friends.

And I hope for the best for all the folks, their kids, their relatives, their friends and on and on - on this forum. Thank you for helping me keep what little sanity I have left.

Fairbanks F20
Rainsong CO-OM1100NST
Old 04-04-2020, 03:56 PM

I’m not surprised. Every year we repeatedly hear public service announcements telling us to stay home from work or school if we’re sick so we don’t pass what we have to others. Yet, schools at all levels and employers of all sorts hold it against the people who actually do stay home. Regardless of such announcements we’re expected to show up unless were puking left and right, and even then we’re not seen as dependable. I bet nearly every one of us who’s ever played music live have at one time or another felt pressure to show up and perform when we were sick.

Such expectations to show up for everything regardless of how we feel are groomed into us ever since we were toddlers. Years and years of conditioning is not easily challenged or changed, even by the potential for death. I would love to see some good come out of this in terms of outright appreciation for people of all ages who stay home when sick. But I doubt it happens. Unfortunately.
Old 04-04-2020, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
My wife and I walked around the corner to talk to our neighbors. We're all about 15-25+ feet from each other talking. Our neighbor across the street walks over, stays about 6 feet back and says, because we are talking about the virus, that his daughter has/had it. Her fever has been gone for 3 days now, but they are fine. This guy just had a heart attack 3 months ago and doesn't get tested?!? (Isn't there a 14 day incubation period?)

As we are talking, the daughter is seen leaving the house. We ask our neighbor, isn't that your daughter leaving? "Oh yeah, she's just going out to get food."

Wait, what?

While he was talking, my wife and I both extended our distance to about 20 feet+.

Wow.
Humm the first thing out of my mouth to that neighbor besides "Step Back" would have been to ask for exact clarification .. as in "She tested positive for Covid 19 " ?

And yes absolutely possible for them to go up to 14 days of non-symptomatic incubation and infection spread potential
And the next question ( regardless of whether she actually tested positive or not) would have been. " Is she trying to spread the virus at a grocery , restaurant, or convenience store ?... And then "which one ? "

Guess I am not a very good neighbor. No wonder I live in the middle of 165 acres at 8000 ft in the middle of nowhere

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-04-2020, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Humm the first thing out of my mouth to that neighbor besides "Step Back" would have been to ask for exact clarification .. as in "She tested positive for Covid 19 " ?

And yes absolutely possible for them to go up to 14 days of non-symptomatic incubation and infection spread potential
And the next question ( regardless of whether she actually tested positive or not) would have been. " Is she trying to spread the virus at a grocery , restaurant, or convenience store ?... And then "which one ? "

Guess I am not a very good neighbor. No wonder I live in the middle of 165 acres at 8000 ft in the middle of nowhere
Yeah, now that I had a bit of time to think about this I would be freaked out too if she tested positive for Covid 19. I envy your location KevWind....in my location we've gone from 5 positives on 3/18 to 146 positives on 4/3.

Sorry OP, please forgive my initial response..

Fairbanks F20
Rainsong CO-OM1100NST
Old 04-04-2020, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post
I’m not surprised. Every year we repeatedly hear public service announcements telling us to stay home from work or school if we’re sick so we don’t pass what we have to others. Yet, schools at all levels and employers of all sorts hold it against the people who actually do stay home. Regardless of such announcements we’re expected to show up unless were puking left and right, and even then we’re not seen as dependable. I bet nearly every one of us who’s ever played music live have at one time or another felt pressure to show up and perform when we were sick.

Such expectations to show up for everything regardless of how we feel are groomed into us ever since we were toddlers. Years and years of conditioning is not easily challenged or changed, even by the potential for death. I would love to see some good come out of this in terms of outright appreciation for people of all ages who stay home when sick. But I doubt it happens. Unfortunately.
Suffice it say that I got the worst of it . Pneumonia and then double Pneumonia back in Sept . 5 1/2 weeks is how long it took to go through this . I was in the van when one of the others , I won't name any names , got in , sat down and proceeded to cough like a slobbering idiot . My brain was screaming to get out , but I knew that the damage had been done if it were to be done . Everyone else in the van that Saturday got sick as well . I just got the worst of it . Oh , I already said that . Spent 5 1/2 weeks calling in and I was thanked for doing so . Yeah , I do care about others . The guy that brought it there is still working there . My place , I would have shown him the door for being so thoughtless and darn near killing another worker . He said that he skipped a billiard contest because he didn't want to take the chance of making anyone there sick . Sure buddy . I sure would love to send him my doctor bills and a bill for my lost wages . At least I survived . Had a temp of 103.5 at the worst . When I went in the second time and was diagnosed with double Pneumonia , my temp had dropped to 102.3 .
Point being that I was not punished for calling in .
Right now and because of the current situation , I am being paid to not come in . Hopefully , that will change soon enough .
I have been an employer and would never hold it against anyone for calling in when actually ill .

Last edited by Otterhound; 04-04-2020 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-04-2020, 04:47 PM

That is so irresponsible. What are the rules in your area? Is it mandatory quarantine for those sick?
Old 04-04-2020, 05:55 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
That is so irresponsible. What are the rules in your area? Is it mandatory quarantine for those sick?
I'm sure there is a suggested self quarantine here. The girls aunt is a police officer in a nearby town and her brother-in-law is a deputy so you think these people would know better.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic