The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-02-2020, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

Default NTGD: Escape Mark III by Traveler Guitar

NTGD = New Travel Guitar Day

Before getting into my review I'd like to take a quick moment to give kudos to the new (to me) UPS feature called 'Track my delivery' - it's awesome!! Now I can see where the truck is on a map and how close it actually is - love it!

Now, onto business...

I'd been looking for a guitar with very specific specs for quite some time. I needed this guitar primarily for taking to my workplace. It needed it to be small, or more to the point short, so I could fit it into my locker. It needed to be no longer than 35". My Cole Clark Little Lady was too long. I thought about going with another Journey OF660 (I've owned two over the years) or maybe even a Furch Little Jane. Both would break down into their backpacks and be easy to get into and out of work and store in the locker. But both are pricey and had some drawbacks.

Then I recently decided to get away from a strictly acoustic guitar and just look for something small but with a full scale. After a few searches I happened upon the Traveler Guitar Escape Mark III model. It's a full 25.5" scale with a 1.75" nut with the tuning machines relocated down into the body which drops the overall length to just under 30" - perfect! The neck is bolted on and has a truss rod. The body is mahogany and a nice dark brown with a walnut fretboard and black hardware. They also make a lighter colored Alder model with chrome hardware and ivroid tuning buttons. I like the mahogany version much better. It comes with a nice little gig bag with a couple decent sized zippered pockets and a single shoulder strap that can be moved to either side on the bottom.

Upon first inspection I was very surprised by this little gem. First, it's SMALL. But the fret board and neck are full size as is the scale. It has 22 medium frets and a cutaway for access up the neck. The overall quality of the build and the appearance is excellent. It's a good looking little guitar. There is no headstock. The ball ends of the strings go in from the top and then down around rollers on the bottom and then up the backside to the tuning machines which are recessed into the body. Very neat design. There are high quality strap buttons on top and bottom. The hardware is all black and blends very nicely in overall appearance of the guitar.

The electronics is a Shadow Nanoflex bridge pickup (which I assume is a UST) and a well laid out and placed preamp control panel with easy to access buttons/knobs that include a tuner/mute, volume, treble, bass, phase switch, low battery indicator (takes 2 AAA batteries), and 1/8" Aux In and Headphone Out jacks. This guitar also has a standard 1/4" output jack for plugging into a regular amplifier or PA.

I strapped the guitar on and it was an interesting feeling. I'm very used to playing my big 12 fret dread so this tiny little guitar hangs very close to my body. Although the scale is full length it's an obvious compact design. It took a little getting used to a position that worked for me. I had to adjust the strap a few times to get it just right. I plugged it directly into my Bose S1 with a wireless system and I was quite frankly shocked at just how great it sounded with everything set flat! I mean, I would not have a problem gigging with this guitar! And yes, it sounds like an acoustic.

I've only barely had time to play with it for a few minutes since it arrived just a short time before I had to leave for work. But my overall first impressions are that this is a great little guitar for travel or practicing. While not an inexpensive guitar at $499 new, it's still significantly less then other options I was considering that were well over a grand. And the quality of the guitar in my opinion makes it a worthwhile investment with a limited lifetime warranty. I found several on Reverb new and made an offer below the $499 asking price that was accepted.

This guitar would easily fit on any airplane with no questions asked and would be a great traveling companion just about anywhere. The only function it would come up short would be as a guitar that can be played and enjoyed by a group at the campfire since it does not have a body chamber. You would need a small battery powered amp for that. It's nearly dead quiet so it would great for playing or practicing at home late at night or in a hotel or any place where you wouldn't want to bother people. For my needs it could not be more perfect. I'm very pleased.

I'll post some photos I took in the next post below. Here's a direct link to their excellent website. Even their manual is excellent. This company was started by a guy in California and they do a great job.

Traveler Guitar Escape Mark II (Mahogany)
Old 04-02-2020, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Photos!

Last edited by Methos1979; 04-02-2020 at 04:34 PM.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:48 PM

How would the body compare, size-wise, to a ukulele? The routing of the strings is most interesting...and the strings look to have D'Addario's color coding. Sounds like it will serve your purposes well, and you're happy with it. Congratulations!
Old 04-02-2020, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Strings MI View Post
How would the body compare, size-wise, to a ukulele? The routing of the strings is most interesting...and the strings look to have D'Addario's color coding. Sounds like it will serve your purposes well, and you're happy with it. Congratulations!
Strings are indeed D'Addario's, EJ15's to be exact which is what they ship with. Though I've never played a ukulele I'd say that's about ball park for body size with the understanding the those can vary quite a bit in size. The company website has a good photo comparing it to an outline drawing of a full size dread for comparison.

I played it a bunch more tonight with the headphones and it sound pretty good but not as good as it sounded through the Bose S1. Funny thing is that I was playing through Bose 700 headphones. Go figure. But it still sounded fine for just playing/practicing. The action seems pretty high (as compared to my well-setup acoustics) and I might adjust the truss rod a bit as the relief seems a bit much. The strings are much more loose than my acoustics even though the scale is the same. After playing for about a half hour or so I got more used to it and compensated for the buzzing I was getting from fretting differences due to action and tension differences from my acoustics.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

Comparison photo

Old 04-03-2020, 05:30 AM

Interesting. I m not familiar with the D’Addario strings, I assume from looks they’re nylon?
Old 04-03-2020, 05:53 AM

Methos,

Congrats on the purchase - I have one of these as well and really dig it. The only thing weird to me about this model is the 9.5” fretboard radius - especially when the ultra light and eg-1 models have a 16” or so. If I had to speculate I would say it has to do with their parent company being Fender since the scale length, radius, nut, radiused nut slot, and neck pocket are very similar to a Stratocaster.

I have spent a ton of time with mine and have had similar observations as you about the pickup - not as good sounding through the headphone jack as through an amp.

I’d recommend changing the tuners to Grover 406Cs they’re a drop in fit but you have to drill the screw holes. While in there I would make sure the blocks that attach the tuners to the body are nice and tight. I found this combined with going up to EJ16 strings made tuning more stable and the instrument more enjoyable. Not that it isn’t as-is.

It’s a great guitar for playing silently and traveling - being able to line-in a metronome and not drive others crazy is an added bonus.

Congrats!
Old 04-04-2020, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickey Clapton View Post
Interesting. I m not familiar with the D’Addario strings, I assume from looks they’re nylon?
No, they are steel strings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman View Post
Methos,

Congrats on the purchase - I have one of these as well and really dig it. The only thing weird to me about this model is the 9.5” fretboard radius - especially when the ultra light and eg-1 models have a 16” or so. If I had to speculate I would say it has to do with their parent company being Fender since the scale length, radius, nut, radiused nut slot, and neck pocket are very similar to a Stratocaster.

I have spent a ton of time with mine and have had similar observations as you about the pickup - not as good sounding through the headphone jack as through an amp.

I’d recommend changing the tuners to Grover 406Cs they’re a drop in fit but you have to drill the screw holes. While in there I would make sure the blocks that attach the tuners to the body are nice and tight. I found this combined with going up to EJ16 strings made tuning more stable and the instrument more enjoyable. Not that it isn’t as-is.

It’s a great guitar for playing silently and traveling - being able to line-in a metronome and not drive others crazy is an added bonus.

Congrats!
I didn't really notice the radius. Generally speaking the only radius I find that sticks out are really flat classical type guitars.

Yesterday I brought in a little battery powered Marshall amp (the toy one) and an extra wireless I had laying around but I didn't get a chance to test it out. Since I'm isolated I can play without headphones quietly.

I didn't get a chance to try it out yet though as I only worked a half day. I might try to find a better small amp for a better tone if I find I like playing that way vs. headphones.

Interesting tip about the tuners. I haven't really noticed an issue yet with tuning drift and they seem okay. I'm taking that was not the case for you?

I agree on going up in size on the strings, give them a little more tension.
Old 04-04-2020, 04:25 PM

I should have specified the radius thing was more of a noteworthy item - it doesn’t affect me either way either.

The tuners make string changes much easier that was my reasoning and they seem more stable. The buttons are smaller though.

I like mine through a blackstar fly 3 amp or my THR10 Yamaha.

It’s a great instrument that’s very useful - enjoy!
Old 04-05-2020, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman View Post
I should have specified the radius thing was more of a noteworthy item - it doesn’t affect me either way either.

The tuners make string changes much easier that was my reasoning and they seem more stable. The buttons are smaller though.

I like mine through a blackstar fly 3 amp or my THR10 Yamaha.

It’s a great instrument that’s very useful - enjoy!
Yes, those two came to mind from a search I did quite some time ago. Going to have to give them a look-see again! Thanks for the reminder.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:12 PM

Quite a while ago, I came very close to buying one of these. I backed out when I found that the string spacing at the saddle was pretty tight. Is that still the case?

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoretti49 View Post
Quite a while ago, I came very close to buying one of these. I backed out when I found that the string spacing at the saddle was pretty tight. Is that still the case?
They don't really quote the string spacing anywhere but it doesn't feel too tight, depending of course on your definition of too tight! I'll take a measurement tonight at work and post it here. Also planning on bringing it home and maybe doing a video review on Wednesday. I'd say it's definitely at least a 2 3/16" spacing.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

Well, with the current pandemic quarantine, I won't be traveling any time soon.

I was starting to travel again for work and wanted a travel guitar.

I had a Traveler Ultralight but that model doesn't have a body, per sa. As such, I found the neck falling and flopping around and I simply couldn't play it.

I've wanted to find some solution for a bolt on body to an Ultralight )which would make it just like yours is).

If played seated do you find the body stays in place or does it tend to flop around at all?

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 04-06-2020, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Default NTGD: Escape Mark III by Traveler Guitar

I too own one of these and commend the OP on a very thorough and accurate ‘review’.
I bought it as an “open box” about a year ago, anticipating an increase in work travel that has yet to happen, but will probably still come to pass once we are post-pandemic.

With regard to comfort / stability, I found that a nice quality strap made all the difference in stabilizing the neck position.
Great little travel solution and, as stated, very nicely built.
Oh and thanks for the small amp recommendations!

~ Paul

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion