The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-09-2022, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

Default Rough couple of outings at the song circle.

Hi all,

I've been pushing my technique quite a bit lately trying to improve my speed and complexity of what I fingerpick. It's been going fairly well, but somewhat uneven which is I guess to be expected. I had worked out a couple of arrangements which I felt I could pull off at about 90-95% success and thought I'd trot those out at the song circle.

Well, it was more like 75-80% success ;-) I feel fortunate to be part of this group as most of the players are much better musicians than I and I get to learn so much just by being there. And they all make me feel welcome and are very encouraging. I was just hoping for a better outcome.

I've decided that I need to have a metronome going for a larger percentage of my practice. And to keep plugging away.

Thanks for letting me share.

Jeff
Old 06-09-2022, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

Hi, I have run an Acoustic Music club since, I think, 2006.
it was a reaction to both Folk Clubs in the UK which were frequently very "traditional" (British folkie stuff) or "open mics" which were rambling, poorly organised and far too loud.

Since covid I've re-opened doing a "Club Session" once a month giving people a 15 minute spot, using a small .p.a. and they are "front and centre".

and a Song Circle once a month. (we call them sing around" here, but I prefer song circle).

There is no p.a. for this and people mostly play seated ...in a circle. (n.b. this is not a jam, or a "sing-along")

Both have their followers although most of my faithful come to both.

I get - and keenly welcome all skill levels. We have very skilled folk and relative beginners, and some who, bless them" who will never learn to sing/play well but love trying to in front of a friendly audience.

There is only one - a married couple who I makes my heart sink, because she is tone deaf and can't carry a simple rhythm, and they take as long to set up as to sing/play.

They've been missing for a few weeks to everyone's delight.

But functions like this depend on the variance and i truly believe that the only way to improve and develop your own style is by singing and playing to an audience.

So, dedicated improvers like you are the life blood of clubs like mine which are there for people to share a common love of music.

We don't get a whole lot of "Audience" but we play for each other more often than not.

So, I say good on you! and keep at it! Listen to others so what they do don't do and learn how to from the good'uns and how not to from the not so gooduns.
Old 06-09-2022, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

Just keep at it and you will get where you want to be. Enjoy the support until you get better than them.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 06-09-2022, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbs2005 View Post
Hi all,

I've been pushing my technique quite a bit lately trying to improve my speed and complexity of what I fingerpick. It's been going fairly well, but somewhat uneven which is I guess to be expected. I had worked out a couple of arrangements which I felt I could pull off at about 90-95% success and thought I'd trot those out at the song circle.

Well, it was more like 75-80% success ;-) I feel fortunate to be part of this group as most of the players are much better musicians than I and I get to learn so much just by being there. And they all make me feel welcome and are very encouraging. I was just hoping for a better outcome.

I've decided that I need to have a metronome going for a larger percentage of my practice. And to keep plugging away.

Jeff
Jeff, could you get one of the other players at the song circle to be your metronome? Get a duet (or more) going where they lay down a backing to your fingerpicked tune. One of the delights for me at any gathering of musicians is playing with other musicians rather than for other musicians - to create something that's greater than the sum of its parts.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 06-09-2022, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Just keep after it... one thing that works for me is to stay firmly in touch with "Why" I'm playing a particular song, and what I'm wanting to give to others through that performance...

The longest walk in music is the distance between the bedroom and the stage...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 06-09-2022, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post

There is only one - a married couple who I makes my heart sink, because she is tone deaf and can't carry a simple rhythm, and they take as long to set up as to sing/play.

They've been missing for a few weeks to everyone's delight.
Yes, people like that are difficult to listen to and you often feel they're hopeless. But sometimes . . .
There's this acoustic jam I attend when I'm not gigging. I do perform but I mainly enjoy playing in the back up band for those who need/want back up. Last week this one guy showed up late, I didn't get his name. He had this really nice Taylor and a silky smooth baritone voice. But he had no idea how to start or stop a song and zero sense of timing. Just this great, raw, untrained voice. I was sitting there backing him thinking, man if I could just work with this guy . . .
Old 06-09-2022, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Hey Jeff, I think it happens to lots of folks.

I'm not a performer, but I do have a vivid recollection of forgetting to play the 3rd chord of a 4 chord intro at my daughter's wedding! (it was one of those tunes that everyone knows)

And I can do some basic finger picking in my home, but when it comes time to play it for my instructor my name is often Crash N. Burn--probably because he hears everything, and that gets me anxious enough to rush the tempo just a little faster than my fingers and brain can process things.

Good on you for putting yourself out there!
Old 06-09-2022, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

It isn't necessarily that everyone is better. In a lot of song circles and jam sessions it is out of the gate off to the races. When that happens quit playing and listen. You aren't the only one getting left behind.

Another thing though, one of my own weak points is not anticipating the chord changes, getting behind and then losing it when I try to catch up. I can play a lot faster if I don't let myself get blind sided with a chord change.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 06-09-2022, 06:16 PM
Guest 61722

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbs2005 View Post
Hi all,

Jeff

No need to be so hard on yourself. I was thinking about something I learned practicing yoga. Not to worry about how the pose "looks," but how does it feel in your body? If you enjoy the group, and enjoy playing with them, it's probably safe to assume they feel the same way about you. I think a 75-80% "performance" is pretty darn good.
Old 06-09-2022, 06:22 PM
Guest 61722

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Jeff, could you get one of the other players at the song circle to be your metronome? Get a duet (or more) going where they lay down a backing to your fingerpicked tune. One of the delights for me at any gathering of musicians is playing with other musicians rather than for other musicians - to create something that's greater than the sum of its parts.
That is very true. I enjoy playing and singing with other people; heck I know I need some help and need someone who's a better singer and better guitarist to carry me and freely admit it.

But these song circles and music jams etc. can have a lot of drama, ego, show-offiness. I'm getting a better understanding of why some artists ultimately decide to pursue a solo career.

I'm also thinking of the couple in question... tone deaf, out of synch and slow to set up and tear down. I wonder how they would feel if they'd read those comments? I would bet they don't have any illusions about their skill level, but probably really love coming to the group for the fellowship and joyfulness of playing for the other members and providing an audience for them as well. It's not always about "being the best." Sometimes it's just about being there. And being who you are. Everyone has something valuable to contribute even though it might not be obvious at first glance.

Hasn't anyone seem the film Florence Foster Jenkins? It's worth a watch.
Old 06-10-2022, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

Thanks all for the support. It's a very good group and the competition level is pretty low which is also very nice. I enjoy the hell out it. Motivates me to keep working.
Old 06-10-2022, 09:50 AM

I've been playing for 2 years and did my first open mic 4 months into my journey.

I have an different opinion on open mics and what to play. One person thought you should only play one new song out of your three. His reasoning, it's hard enough to play one new song vs multiple ones. Another person said just play the easy stuff. I differ and play new material or material previously played and I've gotten better with the song with practice.

I have no illusion to play all three songs perfect at my open mic. The next open mic I'm playing an instrumental on my harp guitar. I have never played the harp guitar in public. The second song is a song I've added chord ups and downs. The third is one I didn't play well the first time including messing up some walk downs, and I sang one verse out of key. BTW way the key changes on each of the 5 verses so that song is a challenge. I know I will make mistakes.

Just relax and play your songs even if not perfect. but then practice more and play them again. Just remember all the players where you are on your guitar journey at one time.

I've got some help as I have a singing instructor and guitar instructor. Interestingly both are always in agreement when they tell me a certain song is not ready for playing in public. LOL I only play ones in public that I get their approval for .
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Fender Player Stratocaster HSS Plus
Timberline T60HGpc
Kolaloha KTM-000 with MiSi
SunnAudio MS-2
Digital Piano Yamaha P515
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write