The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-17-2022, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorse View Post
I was utterly devastated. The guy I sold it to (un-repaired) has been gigging it for ages now though after he put it back together.
Must have been a total shock to see that. But once they can get to a good repair tech, it's back in service.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 06-17-2022, 02:20 PM

This may sound really weird to some, but I'll bet some will understand?

When I first became infatuated with guitars, THE guitar I dreamed of owning was a Les Paul. I can't explain it without sounding like a silly boy infatuated with a beautiful girl, but I was stricken by its beauty. It was so far out of my reach financially during my early younger years of playing that all I could do was dream about it! I'll admit that even today, when I see a Les Paul, for a brief moment I get that feeling again. It's really strange!!! Ha ha.

All that said, I've owned a few LPs over the years, but as a player I always gravitated to the Strat (as my forum name suggests) because of comfort and variety of tones.

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
Galaxy PA6BT Monitor
iPad with OnSong
JBL EON ONE Compact (typically only used as a backup)

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page
Old 06-18-2022, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
The positive thing is that the headstock was repaired and that Les Paul was brought back to life. If you had known back then, would you have spent the cash to repair the headstock? It may be an expensive fix but in the right hands it can make the guitar completely stable.
Well, the thing is that I lived then on a small Island with no luthiers and my wife was about to have our second child so I was winding down the gigging (I used to play out almost every night during the tourist season). I was kind of gutted by it happening as I thought it was a guitar for life, and I didn't really look into repairs because I had so much going on at the time.

I actually made a thread about it on the old Harmony Central forum, and people were pointing out how common it was, so I had a bit of anti-Gibson sentiment going on, too after a while. That's gone now as I own a J-185 and we got my son an SG last year!

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 06-18-2022, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratcat77 View Post
This may sound really weird to some, but I'll bet some will understand?

When I first became infatuated with guitars, THE guitar I dreamed of owning was a Les Paul. I can't explain it without sounding like a silly boy infatuated with a beautiful girl, but I was stricken by its beauty. It was so far out of my reach financially during my early younger years of playing that all I could do was dream about it! I'll admit that even today, when I see a Les Paul, for a brief moment I get that feeling again. It's really strange!!! Ha ha.

All that said, I've owned a few LPs over the years, but as a player I always gravitated to the Strat (as my forum name suggests) because of comfort and variety of tones.
Totally get it. When I was a kid and pictured myself up on a stage, it was always with a Les Paul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
Must have been a total shock to see that. But once they can get to a good repair tech, it's back in service.
For sure. It's funny because years later I saw one in a shop in Denmark St. that had a similar top and burst to mine, and when I looked at it closely, the headstock had clearly been reattached. I checked with the guy who bought mine and he still had it, so it wasn't the same guitar but it looked spookily similar and had obviously suffered the same failure.

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 06-25-2022, 06:57 PM

I actually have 3 Gibson Les Pauls. The first is a 1972 Custom that my father purchased for me in 1974. That goes to my oldest son when I kick the bucket. The next is a Studio with a custom paint job that I got for cheap. The third one is a Faded in wine red.

I played that Custom as my only electric guitar for many years and the weight never bothered me. I doubt the same could be said now but I will never sell it. I play sitting down now so the weight doesn’t bother me. It has the “fretless wonder” mini frets that are worn even flatter now.

The other two are optional keepers in my mind. My wife loves the custom painted one and doesn’t want me to sell it. The Faded may end up as a gift to a friend but I haven’t made up my mind on that yet.

I still love the humbucker sound, but I also have Fender and Gretsch guitars if I want something different.

"Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind." Twelfth Doctor
Old 06-26-2022, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

May have been said already, I’m late to this thread, but I need ergonomic features like arm and belly contours. Guitars with flat backs are very uncomfortable, especially if they are a tad heavy. So I do not own one.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 06-29-2022, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Not all Les Paul's are extremely heavy.

I have played live most of my life.

Playing something with single coil pickups (which I did for a number of years).

At some point during the evening, would leave me wanting something more.

A Les Paul can keep me content, start to finish. Though not crazy about the new coil splitting models.
Old 06-29-2022, 01:48 PM

My gal has a few, each one sounds a bit different.

Plus, Les was pretty cool to meet as well :-)

Old 06-29-2022, 01:55 PM

Wow! I've never seen so many beautiful lefties in one spot before. Some amazing guitars and a great pic with Les!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim W View Post

Old 06-30-2022, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim W View Post

wow incredible...

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Guild F1512
Old 06-30-2022, 09:40 PM

Why do I own a Les Paul? Because Black Betty had a child.

Here's mine next to my 335:

Eastman MD-514 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Old 07-01-2022, 07:50 AM

They can sound great, but I've never got that body shape and proportions to sit in a comfortable way for me. I find that a 335 style guitar just suits me better if I want to do the Gibson-y humbucker thing.
Also double bass, electric bass, cittern, mandolin...
Old 07-01-2022, 08:09 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineMarten View Post
They can sound great, but I've never got that body shape and proportions to sit in a comfortable way for me. I find that a 335 style guitar just suits me better if I want to do the Gibson-y humbucker thing.
Interesting. I spent a few decades with the LP as my main squeeze so now just fits into my body like it is a missing part. It fits even more since I lost a bunch of weight.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-01-2022, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Interesting. I spent a few decades with the LP as my main squeeze so now just fits into my body like it is a missing part. It fits even more since I lost a bunch of weight.

Bob
Same here, on a couple occasions I've made up my mind to go to Telecasters, as they are my second favorite guitar. I've had a few amps that I thought sounded better with the Tele, if I play them enough I can even sort of convince myself that they are my new fav... then I pick up an LP and get that same feeling I got when I bought my first one. For better or worse LP's just feel like home to me.

Now Strats, thats a guitar I cant seem to trick myself into liking regardless of how much I try. Maybe if I had one without a tremolo system, loaded with a couple p90's and individual volume knobs moved out of the way... oh wait, thats an SG.

Last edited by Bushleague; 07-01-2022 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-03-2022, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post

Bob
same here, I've got two they are home for me.

I have a few larger bodies too (Sheraton, Es-135, Gretsch 5422) I'm ok there but the LPs are just right.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Guild F1512

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars