The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-16-2022, 12:50 PM

Default Used vs new Bose L1C (and T1 vs T4S)

Hi,

I've been having trouble with placement of my Schertler JAM 100 for our duo. I sit to the left, she sits to my right and the amp is a few feet diagonally behind her (further left). I have no problems hearing everything, however she does, and what's worse, if she looks to the left, there is feedback.

We can't put it any further behind us - there is a wall about two feet in back of where we play.

I'm thinking about getting an L1C to replace the Schertler. I'd need a mixer; I've found a used (about 5 years old) L1C + T1S mixer. I can get a new L1C with a T4S for about 30% more. I'm inclined to do the latter, I am interested in comments from folk who have experience with both types of unit! Or any other wisdom you may care to sprinkle.

JT
2022 Taylor AD17e Blacktop
2016 Yamaha FG820 Autumn Burst
2015 Eastman E6D
2011 Eastman AC422
2008 Taylor Big Baby
1977 Alvarez 5059
-- no longer with us
2018 Taylor 324CE V
2013 Takamine P1NC
2010 Eastman AC420
Old 06-16-2022, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

I love my L1 Compact but I've never used it in really tight spaces. I also ended up with both a T1 and T4S Tonematch.

The Compact *should* be less feedbacky. In terms of longevity, with an eye toward buying used, mine has had only light use so I don't have personal experience. But a very popular local guy has been gigging his for at least a few years (ALL the time like 3-4 gigs per weekend, spring thorugh fall) apparently without any issues.

Still, personally I would want to buy that item new if I had the option.

The T4S advantages include a three-band parametric EQ (versus 1), better overall input/outputs, headphone jack, and I like the display much better. But The T1 is feature-packed too, and many early adopters of the T4S complained that the reverb wasn't as nice as the T1. But that could have just been love of the familiar.

Plus you could always buy a non-Tonematch mixer as you know. With the Compact, you don't have one key benefit of Tonematches anyway: Getting both signal and power with the Cat 5 cable instead of having to lug around the power brick.
Old 06-16-2022, 11:08 PM

I like the T1 as much as the T4s. Those mixers are sixes and more of a lateral move by BOSE. I own both, I like the input/outputs better on the T1, I like the Tap tempo delay on The T4s, I hate that the delay maxes out at 500ms on both. If I was going to use the L1C, I would use an Allen and Heath Zed10fx which to me has great sounding preamps, nice EQ, and better FX than Bose, and the tap tempo can go over 1 full second. As said above, the Bose mixers are nice when you can use the Tonematch CAT 5 port of the better L1 systems. I'd buy new, as Bose stands by their products. The Pro8 might be a better fit.
Old 06-17-2022, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
The Pro8 might be a better fit.
Why do you think that? It’s more expensive but I’d still need a mixer, it looks to also have only two inputs. I need three : guitar plus two mikes.
2015 Eastman E6D
2011 Eastman AC422
2008 Taylor Big Baby
1977 Alvarez 5059
-- no longer with us
2018 Taylor 324CE V
2013 Takamine P1NC
2010 Eastman AC420
Old 06-17-2022, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

I've been using an L1c for about 10 years - it has been a champ. I do use a T4s mixer with it and feel they are a good match. Before the T4, I used a Yamaha mixer, and it was decent. The T4 allows you to have different effects on each channel (the Yamaha didn't). I like to have reverb on the guitar and vocal, and occasionally use some chorus on the guitar. Fast and easy to dial in the tone with the T4 and gives a "boost" to the L1c.

I have had zero issues with the L1c, but I would go new over used; Bose has been good on the warranty with the S1 Pro I have. I tend to agree with rockabilly69 on the L1 Pro8 - it has more output than the L1c (rarely have I felt the need for more, but better to have it and not need it) - 8 speakers in the column instead of the 6 that the L1c has, and a bigger speaker in the base unit. That said, I have run guitar, keyboard, and 2 vocals through the L1c for about 100 people. The Pro8 has reverb on each channel, where the L1c does not (and one channel 1/4" with a bit of "tonematch"; the other XLR for mic).

If my L1c needed to be replaced (it doesn't), I would be inclined to go with the Pro8.
Old 06-18-2022, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytee32 View Post
Why do you think that? It’s more expensive but I’d still need a mixer, it looks to also have only two inputs. I need three : guitar plus two mikes.

Actually if doesn't need an external mixer, download the manual and check out the mixer functions, and if you use it with a smartphone you can access the tonematch section. It has more power and more speakers, and of all the new Pro series the best formfactor and weight.
Old 06-18-2022, 04:10 AM
Charter Member

For only 30% more, Id probably opt for new, but thats just me. I have a 10 year old L1c, and its been perfectly reliable, despite spending many patio parties outside in the sun (and even occasional rain shower).

Ive been tempted by the Pro8, but the L1c serves my purpose, and they seem to have a workhorse reputation, in addition to my personal experience.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 06-18-2022, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Actually if doesn't need an external mixer, download the manual and check out the mixer functions, and if you use it with a smartphone you can access the tonematch section. It has more power and more speakers, and of all the new Pro series the best formfactor and weight.
Hi,

For channels 1 and 2 you can indeed access mixer functions via the app. For channel three there is only volume, treble, and bass. No tone match nor reverb, according to all the reviews I have seen. It’s also not clear that I could plug my guitar into channel 3. Channels 1 and 2 are needed for the two mikes.
2015 Eastman E6D
2011 Eastman AC422
2008 Taylor Big Baby
1977 Alvarez 5059
-- no longer with us
2018 Taylor 324CE V
2013 Takamine P1NC
2010 Eastman AC420
Old 06-19-2022, 06:10 AM

I bought my L1-Compact at the end of their run, I guess a few years ago.

I bought an S1-Pro to go with it. They are both awesome, and you can put 2 mics in the S1-Pro (my resonator and vintage Gibson mandolin have no pickups) and line out into the L1-Compact for a killer rig.

Now there is all kinds of competition, and everybody buys the "new thing" and the old L1-Compact is rarely mentioned anymore.

It's a very good and reliable rig I will use for many, many years.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 06-19-2022, 08:21 AM

Thanks all, for your input.

My conclusion is that I should go for new instead of used, I should go for the L1 Compact instead of the Pro8, and that I should get the T4S to go with it.

Reasoning : I'm in principle upgrading from the current JAM 100 (Watt) to a 200 Watt L1C. Given that the JAM has always been loud enough, I expect not to need the additional volume of the Pro8.

If it was just me using it, the Pro8 would be great, as then I would not need the ToneMatch mixer. The two channels have the ToneMatch functions via the app. However I need three channels with effects: two microphones plus an acoustic guitar.

I have read great reviews about the Zed 10Fx, the win for the T4S is the size. The Zed 10fx is almost a square foot in size, more than double that of the T4S.
We're usually cramped for space as it is!
2015 Eastman E6D
2011 Eastman AC422
2008 Taylor Big Baby
1977 Alvarez 5059
-- no longer with us
2018 Taylor 324CE V
2013 Takamine P1NC
2010 Eastman AC420
Old 06-19-2022, 11:11 AM

Hey there, assuming you're going with the Bose L1 Compact, keep this deal in mind. I bought a pair of these recently from ProAudioStar and they're awesome. They look brand new and are quite a good deal. Just FYI

https://www.proaudiostar.com/bose-l1...-warranty.html
Old 06-19-2022, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytee32 View Post
Thanks all, for your input.

My conclusion is that I should go for new instead of used, I should go for the L1 Compact instead of the Pro8, and that I should get the T4S to go with it.

Reasoning : I'm in principle upgrading from the current JAM 100 (Watt) to a 200 Watt L1C. Given that the JAM has always been loud enough, I expect not to need the additional volume of the Pro8.

If it was just me using it, the Pro8 would be great, as then I would not need the ToneMatch mixer. The two channels have the ToneMatch functions via the app. However I need three channels with effects: two microphones plus an acoustic guitar.

I have read great reviews about the Zed 10Fx, the win for the T4S is the size. The Zed 10fx is almost a square foot in size, more than double that of the T4S.
We're usually cramped for space as it is!
Congrats on your decision, the Compact is stellar, and you'll have a lot of fun exploring all the features of the T4S. And although you'll need to use the power brick, it's a small one as such things go.

I almost bought the smaller cousin of the Zed 10FX (Zed 6 I think), but the large bumper around the edges really turned me off, seems like such a waste of space unless it's crammed with electronics. Without that they'd be more handy.

Enjoy!
Old 06-22-2022, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

I am a big fan of the Bose PA systems, and absolutely love my L1 Model II. I've used the T1 mixer for a decade or so, and it's an incredible little gizmo that can do far more than I need it to do for my purposes...

Buying new is a good thing, unless you are ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN of how the used unit was treated... I've not had any trouble with mine, but I treat it like an expensive piece of electronic equipment, too!!! (Duh!)

The one thing that has not been mentioned and I'm surprised about, is that when Bose "discontinues" a piece of gear, they frequently will NOT support that gear any longer. They will normally give a great price on an "upgrade" to the newer gear they do have... but they won't repair or service any equipment that they no longer build...

I had an early L1 unit (the Classic), and due to my own stupidity, the two pieces of the speaker columns were stolen, now some 8 years ago. Bose had discontinued the old L1 at that point and was building the Model II units. Even though they did have many of the old speaker columns, they would not sell any... however, they did give me a terrific price on a brand new (fully warranteed) L1 Model II... they even sent me a label so I could ship them the old base unit without cost to me!

I suspect that the old L1 Compact is now not supported by the factory. A phone call should give you that information.

I hope you get the chance to do this before you spend your money on a "new" old-stock Compact!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification