The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-18-2019, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

I have ordered twice from Newtones and had to wait one month each time.
All I can say is they are Well Worth the Wait! They sound so good on rosewood backed guitars.
For myself, they have a wonderful clear tone unlike any other string I have every use.
Some things are worth waiting for.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
I have ordered twice from Newtones and had to wait one month each time.
All I can say is they are Well Worth the Wait! They sound so good on rosewood backed guitars.
For myself, they have a wonderful clear tone unlike any other string I have every use.
Some things are worth waiting for.
Noted. Just don’t set expectations of a maximum wait of 14 days if you know it will be longer. I’m sure the strings are fantastic. In fact they are stating that 50% of orders are shipped within 36 hours. Probably to the detriment of the unlucky 50%.

Last edited by SausagesBeGone; 01-18-2019 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Updated info
Old 01-18-2019, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
Seems like if the tone and feel is that good, you figure out a way to plan ahead and keep yourself stocked rather than grumble the whole world isn’t run like Amazon.com. Anyone have any comments about their tone and feel? I ordered my first ever strings from them last week (nickel). hex core strings were invented because they crank out of a factory quicker. If you want round core strings, it takes some time. Fortunately there are other strings in Pennsylvania to use while I wait.
My first order was for two sets of custom nickel plated round cores. I used them on a CEO-7 and absolutely love the sound. To my ear they combine the best aspects of the Martin Retros/Titanium’s with the Martin Lifespan MSP7100’s that I’ve previously used on this guitar. The feel is good but not as good as Martin Titanium’s.

On January 3 I placed a new order for two more sets of the customs plus two sets of Monel coated round cores (lights) I read about here on AGF. Got shipping confirmation from Newtone right before I read this saw this thread.
2018 Guild M-20
2015 Martin CEO-7
2012 Martin OM-21
2011 Voyage-Air VAOM-04
2011 Taylor GA8
1930's Supertone Parlor
Old 01-18-2019, 02:33 PM

They arent a factory, and yes the service is not good. But the product is fantastic. Just think, I can buy a custom, hand wound set of strings and he will wind them, fill out the declaration to send to the US and get a string I like. I order a set of 11's with a larger 5th and 6th string.
By the way, the string on the top, the big wound one, is the low string. It produces the low sounds and the high e is the one on underneath, the skinny and unwound string.
There is a US supplier, Guitar Gal, or something like that if you want just standard sets.

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-20-2019 at 05:20 AM. Reason: Edited
Old 01-18-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
They arent a factory, and yes the service is not good. But the product is fantastic. Just think, I can buy a custom, hand wound set of strings and he will wind them, fill out the declaration to send to the US and get a string I like. I order a set of 11's with a larger 5th and 6th string.
By the way, the string on the top, the big wound one, is the low string. It produces the low sounds and the high e is the one on underneath, the skinny and unwound string.
There is a US supplier, Guitar Gal, or something like that if you want just standard sets.
I said I wanted a slightly thicker high e string. This means a 13 rather than a 12 that you get in a standard light set.

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-20-2019 at 05:20 AM. Reason: Edited quote; Adjusted accordingly
Old 01-18-2019, 04:07 PM

Just received my Newtone order today. Placed order Dec 17, posted Jan 8.

Guitar Gal sells them but they are 40% higher price than Newtone direct. Newtone shipping is £3.00 even though it costs them £4.60.

I can wait that long.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:46 PM

So many guys get this wrong as well as calling going up, toward the body, going down. I wasnt even talking to you but to others reading the post. I am sorry I offended you. It is so hard to communicate with a keyboard.

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-20-2019 at 05:21 AM. Reason: Edited
Old 01-18-2019, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SausagesBeGone View Post
No problem; if, as Silly Moustache indicates, Newtone are a one man shed based operation then that puts a different angle on things.
No 'if' about it - they are...

https://newtonestrings.com/history/

https://goo.gl/maps/dwzVFqh2Kgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
It does sound like they could have communicated. I know that small shops may need time to catch up after the holidays but I always appreciate it when they communicate that so customer expectations can be in alignment with reality as much as possible.
Jayne, I recently ordered four custom sets of strings. When they hadn't arrived after 14 or 15 days, I emailed and Neil Silverman, the owner, replied with a very apologetic email in which he explained they were encountering a high volume of orders and promised my strings would be made within the next three to four days. They dropped on my door mat exactly a week later. I regard that as good customer-service, they did as they promised.

As someone said above, Newtone aren't Amazon, they're a one- or two-man operation making strings to order. If someone needs Amazon-service, their best bet is to go to Amazon but, if they're prepared to plan ahead and be prepared to be patient, Newtone make great strings and they're worth the wait.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 01-18-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
So many guys get this wrong as well as calling going up, toward the body, going down. I wasnt even talking to you but to others reading the post. I am sorry I offended you. Itis so hard to communicate with a keyboard.
No problem, and no need to apologise. I’m a bit grumpy tonight ��. I always say E and e when referring to low and high - safest way.

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-20-2019 at 05:22 AM. Reason: Edited quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:19 PM

My custom gauge Nickel Plated Steel - round core - strings took 25 days from day of order to delivery here in Australia.

I'm perfectly OK with that.

They are excellent.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 01-18-2019, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

I have quite a few guitars strung with Newtones. I order mine from Strings and Beyond, and they arrive within days. It seems odd that we'd have an easier time getting them in the States than you do in England. Too bad because they are, I think, really nice strings.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
No 'if' about it - they are...

https://newtonestrings.com/history/

https://goo.gl/maps/dwzVFqh2Kgr

Jayne, I recently ordered four custom sets of strings. When they hadn't arrived after 14 or 15 days, I emailed and Neil Silverman, the owner, replied with a very apologetic email in which he explained they were encountering a high volume of orders and promised my strings would be made within the next three to four days. They dropped on my door mat exactly a week later. I regard that as good customer-service, they did as they promised.

As someone said above, Newtone aren't Amazon, they're a one- or two-man operation making strings to order. If someone needs Amazon-service, their best bet is to go to Amazon but, if they're prepared to plan ahead and be prepared to be patient, Newtone make great strings and they're worth the wait.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.
They actually claim to be a small team. They also claim to dispatch 50% of orders within 36 hours. I contacted them and received a blunt reply that orders can take 14 days. That deadline came and went. That’s my gripe. If they had stated the order might take 4 weeks I would have gone elsewhere.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

While I impatiently await my Newtones, I have a set of GHS True Medium Signature Bronze on my Avalon which sound really nice. 13 17 24 32 42 56.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-18-2019, 07:27 PM

Old 01-19-2019, 01:30 AM
Charter Member

While I am sorry that the OP appears not to have received notification that his custom strings were dispatched within the proposed 14 days, by a small business, just after the Christmas break, I would like to share my more positive experience with Newtone.

I have ordered multiple times from Australia - Masterclass PB and 80/20, Heritage and baritone. Delivery times have never been a problem for me and the postage they charge is wonderfully low.

On one occasion two packets of strings were not included in my order. I emailed and Neil emailed back very promptly with profuse apologies. The two packs I ordered, and another set as an apology, were quickly dispatched and arrived by mail soon after. (Note to others expecting an extra set if an error occurs – it may not be normal for Neil to do this. Who knows, he could have been celebrating England beating the Aussies at rugby or cricket!)

Not only do I find their strings absolutely outstanding but I personally have found that while the human being who runs the business may make occasional mistakes, he is warm, genuine and dedicated. A small company with limits, selling a really great product.

Last edited by colins; 01-19-2019 at 03:12 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion