The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-07-2019, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post

The point is, there is no truth to the idea that anyone more than a few, less than 5 in every 100,000 people need to avoid gluten.
From the paper you originally linked to (emphasis mine):

"Although the prevalence of diagnosed CD varied widely among these populations, the estimates of combined undiagnosed and diagnosed (or silent and active) CD were remarkably similar, between 0.7%–2.0% in most of the populations, including the United States."

And:

"In summary, CD is a protean systemic disease affecting up to 1% of the general population. Appropriate screening, diagnosis, and treatment guidelines are being redefined, using improved diagnostic methods that include IgA TG testing and HLA-DQB1 typing, in addition to SBB."
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 01-07-2019, 04:43 PM
G625 mistral-k

Quote:
You reject the NIH and major research centers but embrace some private webpage....

The point is, there is no truth to the idea that anyone more than a few, less than 5 in every 100,000 people need to avoid gluten.
Not sure where the 5 in every 100,000 piece of data is found which you cite, however on the NIH website, NIH does say "here" that 1 in 141 have Celiac Disease in the U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar Poe View Post
So like I said .00001% are effected.
Based on the NIH data the figure would be 0.709% or 1 in 141 individuals who have CD.

Last edited by Basalt Beach; 01-07-2019 at 05:05 PM. Reason: add content
Old 01-07-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martie View Post
You choose to use a microwave, I choose not to - I've not asked you to justify why you do and I am under no obligation whatsoever to explain why I don't (you might have noticed a recurrent 'theme' in this thread?).

I deliberately didn't mention what my wife-to-be sells...because I have no interest coming on here to sell anything! (I prefer 'partner', because I don't like the words fiance and girlfriend).

I've clearly stated (in other posts) that I could add as many links/references as you like, but that it would be pointless as it would just descend into, well, this. And if this is a subject that genuinelly interests you, you can do your own research...or not. And by all means conclude BS - again, your perogative.

And 'open ended statements' (?!) don't make you suspicious. Having a suspicious mind makes you suspicious (cue Elvis...).
I ask for no justification , only a courteous and direct response .
I certainly can do my own research . What I requested was your rationale .
People that obscure things have reasons .
Feel free to PM me . It is very private and I respect that privacy .
At least you are smart enough to not reject the term wife .
Old 01-07-2019, 05:40 PM

[QUOTE=Denny B;5938624

I also heard a comedian say that people in California were so afraid of gluten that you could hold up a bank with a bagel... [/QUOTE]

Ahhh....California.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-07-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
I ask for no justification , only a courteous and direct response .
I certainly can do my own research . What I requested was your rationale .
People that obscure things have reasons .
Feel free to PM me . It is very private and I respect that privacy .
At least you are smart enough to not reject the term wife .
This discussion wasn't about microwaves, and I literally have no desire to get into a potentially long winded discussion about them. To be honest, I remember reading some stuff about 30 years ago and I can't even remember exactly why I decided I don't like them. Also, I've simply never had a use for one, at all, and have no intention of starting now. I also think it's important to go off good old fashioned instinct, and so I don't use them, instinctively (and no, there are likely no scientific studies to prove the validity of that, but I'm going to instinctively ignore that too). I'm sure you will be fine with your water and popcorn (and I sincerely hope you are!).

I've made several posts on this thread and made my rationale perfectly clear.

People who are being discreet are not necessarily obscuring things, they are simply being discreet.

And yes, I am indeed smart enough not to reject the term wife...or the term partner.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:33 PM

OMG its so self evident. People have been eating gluten for thousands of years. You would think following this thread that people would be dying by the millions from wheat.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
OMG its so self evident. People have been eating gluten for thousands of years. You would think following this thread that people would be dying by the millions from wheat.
But they are . That's where the Zombies hide .
Old 01-08-2019, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Talk about missing the point entirely. You might want to read the entire thread again, only this time through the lense of compassion and not the lense of 'I'm ok, so it's definitely 'overblown' Jack.'

Have you considered the case of modern wheat and pesticides etc. Minor things to some (those not paying attention), but highly significant to those who are. But the majority really aren't paying attention, so who cares about some petty 'outnumbered' minority, right?!

Here's an excerpt from an article, which may be of interest, but of course, it's just 'opinions' unlike your 'self-evident' 'conclusions'...

"Modern wheat has had a very long history of hybridization, starting with ancestral grasses in the wild and also occurring naturally in farmers’ fields in antiquity. Humans have continued the process chemically in the last century, and especially during the last 50 years in order to increase yields, resist fungal diseases and pest attacks, improve ease of mechanical harvesting and meet rigorous demands of industrial milling and mechanized baking methods. Transgenic wheat varieties via GMO technology are now waiting in the wings for their debut, albeit to an unexpectedly (at least to Monsanto) hostile audience both at home and abroad."

In context ('opinion' alert!)...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/maninis...ame-toxic/amp/

Interestingly, a good friend of mine is friends with a professor who has spent thirty plus years at the very top of his field, being regarded by many as the world leading expert etc. He has produced academic (fully tested) study upon study and produced many peer-reviewed, massively acclaimed and widely read papers. But as soon as his studies started to produce results that clashed with the agenda of his ostensibly 'altruistic' (and extremely 'influential') funders things started to get very tricky indeed. He was increasingly given the 'results' they wanted in advance and told to 'back them up' scientifically. He refused and subsequently had his funding withdrawn and the slurs on his 'character' began. Articles started to appear in 'respected' journals, rumours were started and his employers did all they can to remove him from his previously well respected role. But the guy has integrity, and has stuck to his guns, but he's a rare breed indeed and most succumb to the demands of their funders, who really couldn't care less about anything other than profit, despite their 'altruistic' window displays.

And this is the world we live in, and the food industry is rife with these practices. Of course, you don't have to believe me and your opinion may be that this is all mere opinion (my mate down the pub says the guy described above is 'obviously' a quack - seems irrelevant that the professor had worked tirelessly and sincerely for over thirty years on one subject and my mate had read ONE article on Facebook written by a clueless, vicious detractor).

There's is very little integrity in the food industry, even amongst many gluten-free procucers, because yes, they are largely cashing-in. The OP asked if the gluten issue was overblown. It most certainly is not (and is on the rise). But yes, there IS hype (there always will be whilst food is an industry) and yes there are pockets of 'loud' hysteria (we all know the types!). But we really shouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water, not least because this is a serious issue for a significant number of people, and will continue to be so.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martie View Post
Talk about missing the point entirely. You might want to read the entire thread again, only this time through the lense of compassion and not the lense of 'I'm ok, so it's definitely 'overblown' Jack.'

Have you considered the case of modern wheat and pesticides etc. Minor things to some (those not paying attention), but highly significant to those who are. But the majority really aren't paying attention, so who cares about some petty 'outnumbered' minority, right?!

Here's an excerpt from an article, which may be of interest, but of course, it's just 'opinions' unlike your 'self-evident' 'conclusions'...

"Modern wheat has had a very long history of hybridization, starting with ancestral grasses in the wild and also occurring naturally in farmers’ fields in antiquity. Humans have continued the process chemically in the last century, and especially during the last 50 years in order to increase yields, resist fungal diseases and pest attacks, improve ease of mechanical harvesting and meet rigorous demands of industrial milling and mechanized baking methods. Transgenic wheat varieties via GMO technology are now waiting in the wings for their debut, albeit to an unexpectedly (at least to Monsanto) hostile audience both at home and abroad."

In context ('opinion' alert!)...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/maninis...ame-toxic/amp/

Interestingly, a good friend of mine is friends with a professor who has spent thirty plus years at the very top of his field, being regarded by many as the world leading expert etc. He has produced academic (fully tested) study upon study and produced many peer-reviewed, massively acclaimed and widely read papers. But as soon as his studies started to produce results that clashed with the agenda of his ostensibly 'altruistic' (and extremely 'influential') funders things started to get very tricky indeed. He was increasingly given the 'results' they wanted in advance and told to 'back them up' scientifically. He refused and subsequently had his funding withdrawn and the slurs on his 'character' began. Articles started to appear in 'respected' journals, rumours were started and his employers did all they can to remove him from his previously well respected role. But the guy has integrity, and has stuck to his guns, but he's a rare breed indeed and most succumb to the demands of their funders, who really couldn't care less about anything other than profit, despite their 'altruistic' window displays.

And this is the world we live in, and the food industry is rife with these practices. Of course, you don't have to believe me and your opinion may be that this is all mere opinion (my mate down the pub says the guy described above is 'obviously' a quack - seems irrelevant that the professor had worked tirelessly and sincerely for over thirty years on one subject and my mate had read ONE article on Facebook written by a clueless, vicious detractor).

There's is very little integrity in the food industry, even amongst many gluten-free procucers, because yes, they are largely cashing-in. The OP asked if the gluten issue was overblown. It most certainly is not (and is on the rise). But yes, there IS hype (there always will be whilst food is an industry) and yes there are pockets of 'loud' hysteria (we all know the types!). But we really shouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water, not least because this is a serious issue for a significant number of people, and will continue to be so.
After reading this , it is apparent to me that there is a market for breads made the " old " way . This does not require that those of us that do not have issues and the entire industry be forced to change in order to accommodate a small percentage of the population .
With this type of thinking Penicillin would have been banned long ago because some are allergic to it .
Old 01-08-2019, 07:50 AM

Edit: Nevermind....
Old 01-08-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
After reading this , it is apparent to me that there is a market for breads made the " old " way . This does not require that those of us that do not have issues and the entire industry be forced to change in order to accommodate a small percentage of the population .
With this type of thinking Penicillin would have been banned long ago because some are allergic to it .
Nobody is forcing you to do anything. The only people who seem to have a problem here are those who don't have a problem with gluten, which is just mind-boggling at best.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
If you have no health issues, be happy - and consider having some compassion for those less fortunate. It's not like I'm looking for a government handout, I just cannot eat foods containing gluten: bread, pizza, soy sauce, beer... Yeah, I thought that would get your attention.

Be well, and enjoy it while you can. I didn't have gluten sensitivity until I was over 60.

George

Last edited by Basalt Beach; 01-08-2019 at 09:06 AM. Reason: #1
Old 01-08-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
But they are . That's where the Zombies hide .
LMAO! 😂 Good one O!
Old 01-08-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar Poe View Post
So exactly How has that effected the outcome of the population of the Earth in the past 2000 years ? Probably .00001 %

Ed
It's completely affected the outcome of American pop. Look at all of the phony pseudo-medical industries now: weight loss, drug rehab, depression.....almost none of them work. All of these are exacerbated by our toxic food supply.
"Studies" from CDC and NIH are almost completely bought and paid for by pharmaceutical cartel and agri-business.
If you're over 35, eat a large amount of processed baked goods, breads for 3 days. Please report how you feel. Then look at some American photos from the 1960's and notice how few lard ***** there were, then look around now, even with the peer-pressure and industrialization of gyms. Ask Starbucks why they put toxic chemicals in EVERY item they serve. Grow your own food as much as possible.
And don't even ask me about listeria, salmonella, E.Coli infections---I see this stuff every day. I didn't in the 1970's. Ask yourself why!
Old 01-08-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Ahhh....California.
The home of Fatburger, though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic