The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-18-2016, 11:00 AM

Default Final Decision NGD coming up!

After more hours than I like to admit researching, etc. I have made my choice and am going with the Blacbird Liucky 13.
Like what I saw on their co. site and all the reviews seem positive to outright great. The clincher for me is OO size and same scale as my SC guitar, so transition between the two should be easy.
The travel thing for me as far as size was not the issue, the being able to travel without worry was.
I did notice these are a hard guitar to find for sale, none on Reverb, Ebay or any of the regular places. Luck has it that Ted has one so the call is in......
Old 05-18-2016, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Great news! Make sure to post pix and share your impressions once she arrives!
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 05-18-2016, 12:03 PM
Guest 928

Congratulations on your decision and on your luck. Joe makes a fine instrument and Ted is a great outlet.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:15 PM

Great! Obviously I'm biased and I have had it now for over a year and love the size too... On occasion when I've flown it fits easily in the overhead compartment. Looking forward to your comments when you get it.

Blackbird Lucky 13
Old 05-18-2016, 01:42 PM

Congrats on the decision, Jerry. We look forward to a new guitar report when you get it.

It speaks well that you almost never see L13's "for sale" used. One popped up used here a few months ago, and I called later the same day, but it was already sold after just a half day.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

The Lucky 13 was on my short list of CF guitars to try out and unfortunately the only one I never did get to try out. I hope it's a great guitar for you!
Old 05-18-2016, 06:05 PM

Thanks guys,,was impressed by their reviews and videos I saw, Ted has it packed up and will be here next Monday. Looking forward to it for sure,,,prior to calling Ted I looked all over the place for a used one,,couldn't even find a new one. Ted says they usually take about 4 months after order to get.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:09 PM
Anticipation Junkie

That's great, Jerry! It's been fun following your journey toward figuring out what you would end-up going with. Ted has a wonderful reputation...I hope to one day do business with him. I also look forward to knowing your impressions. Enjoy the anticipation!
Old 05-18-2016, 08:15 PM

I bought a Shorty but it was a shootout between that and the L13 - I still have the email with Michael of Macnichol comparing the two in a questionnaire. I never got my hands on the L13 and that may have swayed my choice, so the Shorty it was, but it's a keeper

I wish there were more opportunities to play a variety of CF guitars- the wood guys get to explore something new and different and those in the know get all gassed up.

I'm sure you'll LOVE your Blackbird Jerry. Congratulations!
Old 05-18-2016, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

Congrats! Now, waiting for those 3 little words: out for delivery!
Old 05-19-2016, 11:03 AM

I agree Sean, where I live a small isolated town on the Or coast there is not a music store or guitar store to be found. The closest is 65 miles and they have only wood and aren't interested in any carbon.
I have over the last 10 yrs. purchased every guitar I own over internet thru dealers and some private party deals. For the most part have had good luck with only one or two bummers.
When dealing with reputable dealers like LA Sales or Acoustic vibes for example I never even feel a moments concern and take the advice and opinions of the owners as valuable input and depend on it for my decision making.
The nice thing about Ted is he carries almost all the brands so he is familiar and can compare, and also a player so his advise is valuable.
The carbon fiber thing is a struggle for me as I want the benefits of it and am hoping for the playability. Didn't want to stray to far from the traditional size and shape I am used to. Almost went for the used Kevin Michael on the forum but the under 23" scale turned me away, sounded good though. But I play a 24.9 scale and 13/16 nut so figured the difference was enough to cause me trouble back and forth. 1 3/4 nut is OK.
I have high hopes for the Blackbird, but Monday will tell. I have a outside on the Ocean, early evening into dark gig in Aug. at a campground. Last year I used my Taylor 522 because I figured it was the one i cared least about if bad happened, it made it ok buy by the end of the evening it sounded like mud, temps were about 68 good, but humidity was at about 87% and salt air off the water was wet.
Also I noticed last month playing my Martin outdoors it tends to do ok but I pack it in the case with Humipacks for a day after.
Also i think it will be fun to play around with some amplified sound, I have always played straight acoustic at most a mic. Like the idea of no batteries in this one to although I don't know anything about the Misi system.
If this all works out I will be one happy camper no longer worried about his guitars on the road!
Old 05-19-2016, 11:31 AM

I forgot to mention the Acoustic Guitar review was another determining factor, I still take lessons from Scott Nygard on his site and hearing him play it in a similar style was helpful. Their reviews in general I find very good....
Old 05-19-2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
After more hours than I like to admit researching, etc. I have made my choice and am going with the Blacbird Liucky 13.
Like what I saw on their co. site and all the reviews seem positive to outright great. The clincher for me is OO size and same scale as my SC guitar, so transition between the two should be easy.
The travel thing for me as far as size was not the issue, the being able to travel without worry was.
I did notice these are a hard guitar to find for sale, none on Reverb, Ebay or any of the regular places. Luck has it that Ted has one so the call is in......
Jerry, I bought a satin finished L13 from Ted a while back. I really enjoy mine. The Misi electronics are a bit different given the 60 second charge you will perform daily with the charging cord.

I only plug in when I'm practicing, and want my Trio+ for bass and drum accompaniment. The amplified tone seems good, but I'm certainly no expert.

Enjoy!
Old 05-19-2016, 12:09 PM

You will love it. It's the only guitar I play, I don't really think I need another. So comfortable and great tone.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber