The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-04-2020, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Yes. I could probably figure it out on my own easy enough, but I've never done it before and rather than take a chance I do something I have to undo later, I'll just wait for some guidance.
Oh OK its super simple just like renaming any file or folder on your desk top or drive , and bullet proof
In the "Name" column ( left hand side of the the I/O matrix graph) you just put your cursor directly on the channel number and double click, and type in the new name hit return and done.

( sorry I don't have a screen shot of the insert tab and no system to boot up to take screen shot) , But I rename all the I/O tabs exactly the same way
Below you can see on my "Output" tab I have renamed the 3-4 channel as "3U" to reflect my IGS Tubecore "3U" Compressor and the M7 to reflect my Bricasti M7

Note in below screen shot from one of my session templates. The (darker purple track 3rd from right ) I not only have the insert renamed to reflect the actual hardware M7, but the in the case of this Aux track with the M7 inserted set up as a parallel reverb FX the bus that feeds it which becomes the I/O input name , and the track name itself, all show M7

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 12-04-2020 at 08:01 AM.
Old 12-05-2020, 02:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Oh OK its super simple...
Yes, it was quite easy. I'm all sorted now.

2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 12-05-2020, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, it was quite easy. I'm all sorted now.
Excellent,,, did you do that on the Input and Out tabs as well ?

Looking back to Feb 2011 , I will say even though it was expensive ( kinda like the collage education I never finished but more like a 1970's price ). The Advanced Music Production in Pro Tools --Masters Certification program, I took at Berklee College of Music advanced my overall Pro Tools knowledge skills and workflow more than the prior 5 years worth of trying to learn on my own.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 12-05-2020 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-05-2020, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Excellent,,, did you do that on the Input and Out tabs as well ?
No, those are still in their default settings.

Quote:
Looking back to Feb 2011 , I will say even though it was expensive ( kinda like the collage education I never finished but more like a 1970's price ). The Advanced Music Production in Pro Tools --Masters Certification program, I took at Berklee College of Music advanced my overall Pro Tools knowledge skills and workflow more than the prior 5 years worth of trying to learn on my own.
In retrospect, it would have been smart for me to do that, but since the beginning I've had a friend guiding me who would give any PT instructor a run for his/her money. That's been a great help but it's also been a bit of a crutch since I really didn't have to commit myself to understanding all the setup stuff.

I totally see the value in taking a class. About 15-20 years ago I took an online Photoshop class. It was mostly conducted by email as websites weren't very sophisticated at the time. I learned a ton from that course and much of it was stuff I was never going to learn on my own. That said, I'm not sure I'm up to a PT class this late in the game.

YouTube
Old 12-05-2020, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
No, those are still in their default settings.
It's all individual I just rename them all (to help me form getting confused) (Input,Output , Applicable Busses and Inserts )

Here is my '"Input tab" (in the A-1-2 the individual channels are labeled CHN A and CHN B to reflect how they are labeled on the Face Plate Of my A-Designs MP2 A pre amp ). Opps just realized I should rename the stereo A 1-2 to MP2A also (old guy syndrome )

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 12-08-2020, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Spent most of yesterday and today downloading and installing software on the the new iMac.
I opted to keep the fresh install of Catalina 10.15.7 in place, and did not migrate from my old computer ( I will simply transfer the Pro Tools, Reason , Studio One, and Final Cut Pro, sessions and project files ).

This machine boots up faster to Catalina on this I mac and is indeed snappier and loads PT much quicker on this machine than my old one booted up and loaded Mojave and Pro Tools .

I decided I will keep my old 27" inch Apple Cinema Display and use it as a second display to the iMac. I will have to see how I like having the Mixer window open on one screen, and the Edit window open on the other

So far the iMac has been silent and I have not heard any fan noise But then I have also not been doing any editing or mixing or heavy processor use,,, so we will see

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 12-09-2020 at 08:11 AM.
Old 12-12-2020, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Default Update

Ok so still waiting for Avid Carbon interface to be delivered to my dealer then shipped to me with some new DB 25 cables and XLR fans

The Computer is up and running
This is when I first fired it up (it did come with the latest version of Catalina which is exactly what is specked for both Pro Tools 2020.11 and to run the new Carbon interface on

Here I am now going through the somewhat tedious process of Air Dropping all my Pro Tools , Studio One ,Reason , and Final Cut Pro X files from My old Mac Pro to the new iMac
I could get about $75 dollars worth of adaptors to connect the firewire 800 out on the Mac Pro, to the TB3 inputs on the iMac but this is a one time deal, and I am retired and have some time

Surprisingly after some quick research I was able to recalibrate the color on the old Display to get pretty close to default color the new 5k iMac display . Note in the photo there are some reflections happening in the Cinema (left) because it is angled slightly towards the big outside picture window

And here is the new upper rack box I just made which will house the new Interface

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 12-12-2020 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-18-2020, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Default New RAM

Just installed the new 3 rd party RAM in my new iMac (purchased it with base 8 GB of Apple Memory) but went ahead and removed that and installed the 4 sticks of 32 GB from OWC. I was very pleased how easy it was no tools at all just
#1 unplug the power supply cord from the back of the iMac prototypical (IEC 320 C13/C14) audio power connector.
#2 place the iMac screen down on a flat surface with a soft towel to protect the screen
#3 open the RAM access door (little push button in power supply socket

#4 pull out factory RAM sticks push in new sticks
#5 push door back in place plug power back in done
Took all of maybe 3-5 minutes
Now maxed at 128 GB RAM and saved just a smidge over $2k

Now I am getting impatient for the new interface to arrive

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 12-18-2020, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Now maxed at 128 GB RAM and saved just a smidge over $2k

Now I am getting impatient for the new interface to arrive
Nice! Apple's pricing on some components is quite odorous, particularly memory and SSDs. But it's good that we have ways around each of those expenses.

Now Dasher! Now Dancer! Now Prancer and Vixen! On Comet! On Cupid! On Carbon and Blitzen!

YouTube
Old 12-18-2020, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Now Dasher! Now Dancer! Now Prancer and Vixen! On Comet! On Cupid! On Carbon and Blitzen!
Ha! cleaver

So I am getting the full complement of XLR's on the the two DB25's (8 input and 8 output XLR's) I have them coming in 3 ft lengths with 12" inches in the full outer rubber shielding and then 24" inches of the individual channel cables to XLR's or (XLR fans) as my dealer calls them. Then I will use split side velcro close, woven flex cable for the individual channel cables which can breakout through a slit in the velcro at the correct positions to go directly into the HW units

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 12-18-2020, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
So I am getting the full complement of XLR's on the the two DB25's (8 input and 8 output XLR's) I have them coming in 3 ft lengths with 12" inches in the full outer rubber shielding and then 24" inches of the individual channel cables to XLR's or (XLR fans) as my dealer calls them. Then I will use split side velcro close, woven flex cable for the individual channel cables which can breakout through a slit in the velcro at the correct positions to go directly into the HW units
DB25 cables are almost always the way to go. I think I have eight of them in my system these days. It helps keep the black spaghetti tangles to a minimum. But even with all those DB25 cables, the back of my rack is a scary sight.

YouTube
Old 12-22-2020, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

The adaptor for my 27 " Cinema Display (to go from mini display on the Cinema to TB3 input on iMac ), finally came yesterday... And I was pleased and amazed I plugged in the cable from the Cinema Display to the adaptor ,,the adaptor into my iMac powered it and shzam it worked. The only thing I had to do was go into system preferences > Display > uncheck the "Mirror Displays " box (to have them be in Extended mode) then go into the "Arrangement" Tab and make sure the main display (iMac) was on the right side (where it sits physically on my studio desk) so that I could simply drag the mixer window to the left monitor (Cinema)

So here is the edit window from PT on the iMac display and the mixer window on the Cinema

One interesting effect is in the Screen Saver mode the two screens show different movements of the same pattern I am assuming from being in Extended mode as opposed to Mirrored mode

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 12-22-2020, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
Thanks, Kev. That makes sense. While the pro platform is aging a bit it is based on the solid intel Xeon line and uses a different cooling system that renders the computer virtually silent for studio use.

JR

Having an iMac Pro, that is the reason I went for it. Better cooling system under heavy loads. I have yet to hear the fans kick in.

And Pro Tools can't even make this system break a sweat. Even in large audio post sessions with high tracks counts & video.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 12-25-2020, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
Having an iMac Pro, that is the reason I went for it. Better cooling system under heavy loads. I have yet to hear the fans kick in.

And Pro Tools can't even make this system break a sweat. Even in large audio post sessions with high tracks counts & video.
Good to hear my sessions are pretty modest track count, plugin count Normally no more than 2 or 3 stereo guitar tracks, one or two instrument tracks and usually two vocal tracks and one reverb aux .

So am guessing/hoping that I won't be ramping up the fan.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 01-05-2021, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Avid Carbon interface scheduled to be delivered tomorrow Fed EX

Depending on my mood and level of ambition I may just try to shoot an unboxing and installation video. Unfortunately the DB 25 cables will probably be another week for delivery ,,, BUT I have enough XLR cables to get going in the mean time

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD