The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-16-2020, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

I think it sounds pretty good, better than I've ever achieved with this technique, tho I think mostly your playing is very nice. There's something slightly unbalanced sounding to it, which is what I've usually found, but I can't put my finger on it. Like a lot of these alternative micing techniques, something in my head says "what I'm hearing doesn't quite add up", which makes sense, because I can't have my ears in those locations in real life. It also seems like it picks up a bit more room sound, making room acoustics more important as others are pointing out.
Old 10-16-2020, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
If for example your simply putting a high pass (just to tame some rumble) it probably does not make much difference
However myself for the acoustic guitar. I like the "Abby Road reverb method" with significant filter roll off (12 -18 db) from 600Hz down and from 6kHz to 8kHz up, which to my ear cleans up the reverb effect considerably ,,,,,,,,,in which you do want it on an Aux track
I usually do the same although I don't roll off as much on the high end. I usually set it around 10K.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 10-16-2020, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
Because I strived for my recordings to better capture the sound I hear when I play, I would position both small-diaphragm, matched microphones near my ears when I used to record.
Interesting ,,,I have seen a few engineers position one mic over the right shoulder and one at the 12-14 th fret for solo acoustic guitarists, but not both mics that might be fun to try

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 10-16-2020, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
...[snip]... There's something slightly unbalanced sounding to it, which is what I've usually found, but I can't put my finger on it. Like a lot of these alternative micing techniques, something in my head says "what I'm hearing doesn't quite add up", which makes sense, because I can't have my ears in those locations in real life. ...[snip]...
That was also my feeling, something not balanced or not what I'm used to hearing in recordings or in my playing. I'll stick with A-B spaced pair. But, as others have said, your playing and this recording does sound very nice, just not my preference.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 10-16-2020, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I usually do the same although I don't roll off as much on the high end. I usually set it around 10K.
I brought it down for my vocals when I got my ADK 251 which is pretty crisp in the high end.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 10-17-2020, 04:00 AM

Quote:
I think it sounds pretty good, better than I've ever achieved with this technique, tho I think mostly your playing is very nice. There's something slightly unbalanced sounding to it, which is what I've usually found, but I can't put my finger on it. Like a lot of these alternative micing techniques, something in my head says "what I'm hearing doesn't quite add up", which makes sense, because I can't have my ears in those locations in real life. It also seems like it picks up a bit more room sound, making room acoustics more important as others are pointing out.
Thanks for the observations Doug - I need to keep listening to it and try to evaluate what you are hearing.

I do need to adjust my room treatment a little to optimise trebles and tidy up low mids, which I am going to work on.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 10-17-2020, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
That was also my feeling, something not balanced or not what I'm used to hearing in recordings or in my playing. I'll stick with A-B spaced pair. But, as others have said, your playing and this recording does sound very nice, just not my preference.
Thanks for the input Chuck - appreciated.

Old 10-17-2020, 09:24 AM

Default Updated version

As Barry requested, here is a version in a more traditional spaced pair array by way of comparison.

Full disclosure - new strings on the guitar and capo 5 not 3.

Some shifting of acoustic treatment to try to mitigate the lack of clarity in the low mids and not enough treble.

No reverb on this track but some subtractive EQ - albeit less than previously.

Old 10-17-2020, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

This latest one so much better sounding - clarity, base and treble balance. Sounds like a real live guitar. However I'm listening on my cheap headphones at work. Will check out the recording later with my home playback setup.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-17-2020, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
As Barry requested, here is a version in a more traditional spaced pair array by way of comparison.

Full disclosure - new strings on the guitar and capo 5 not 3.

Some shifting of acoustic treatment to try to mitigate the lack of clarity in the low mids and not enough treble.

No reverb on this track but some subtractive EQ - albeit less than previously.

A lot of variables there so I don't know what most influenced the result, but this track is far superior to the first two you posted in this thread. The muddiness in the bass is gone. Very nicely done.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 10-17-2020, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
A lot of variables there so I don't know what most influenced the result, but this track is far superior to the first two you posted in this thread. The muddiness in the bass is gone. Very nicely done.

Yes, not ideal I know - brighter strings (Aluminium bronze vs GHS round wound) and a higher key, but as you say it does seem to offer more clarity and balance.

Thanks for your input so far.

Old 10-17-2020, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
Thanks for the observations Doug - I need to keep listening to it and try to evaluate what you are hearing.
Keep in mind that I'm listening with my head stuck between a pair of studio monitors in a treated room. "Real" listeners won't be doing that, I doubt if I'd have any thought besides "nice playing", if I was listening over my home stereo or car.
Old 10-17-2020, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Keep in mind that I'm listening with my head stuck between a pair of studio monitors in a treated room. "Real" listeners won't be doing that, I doubt if I'd have any thought besides "nice playing", if I was listening over my home stereo or car.

Of course, but nonetheless for me it’s about critical listening and learning to do that better, so I appreciate the feedback Doug.

Old 10-17-2020, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
This latest one so much better sounding - clarity, base and treble balance. Sounds like a real live guitar. However I'm listening on my cheap headphones at work. Will check out the recording later with my home playback setup.

That’s encouraging..progress.

Old 10-17-2020, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

This new recording is more clear, but the trebles seem rather harsh to me. Probably just the new strings, often a challenge. I'm not hearing the low end issues some people are reporting on your other recordings. Yes, the original recording was darker, but I like a warm sound, and I'd take a warm, smooth sounding recording over one that's not. This is a case where you could probably tame the high end a bit, tho, and with some reverb, it could be pretty nice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD