The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-16-2020, 11:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
I know you were knocked out (as was I) by the sound of the Dazzos in the Goodall CJC, just straight into the Bose T1 and then the L1 Model II. I love that it sounded so good without any "wet" or any equalization...
jseth, you running your Dazzo with no preamp at all?
Martin 1966 D-21
MARTIN M-30 JORMA 1933 Shaded top (Dazzo)
MARTIN 2009 000-28M Sunburst #444
MARTIN 2009 000-28M Plain top #26
MARTIN 2018 D-18GE Sinker

and...
Old 08-16-2020, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Why worry about cleaning off epoxy? I've never once considered removing a Dazzo.
I have removed Dazzos to adjust the location and if it was the preference of the buyer of a guitar that has been sold. I try to keep my Dazzo’s whenever possible but a lot of the time the buyer is very interested in keeping it in. Half of the time, I remove it.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 08-16-2020, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Exactly. That’s my issue as well. I can potentially deal with the epoxy but the brake cleaner is not appealing at all. I really wish I could have made the Amulet work. Right now the Fishman Matrix and Tonedexter are really working for me but I still have a second jack. Maybe I will give a PUTW a try. I believe they too use tape.
Regarding brake cleaner. I get what you are saying. If you saw his process, you would see that it is harmless. I actually found epoxy remover. I think it works better. No doubt that Teddy’s bottle of brake cleaner will last him several lifetimes as so will my can of epoxy remover. It will be past down to the grandson of my grandson.
Oregon Duck Fan
Grateful
Old 08-16-2020, 11:59 PM

I was playing plugged in tonight. I mentioned how Teddy showed me the trick of taping the loose lead wires to the underside of the guitar top. Well, he used blue painter’s tape. It fell off tonight. I guess blue painter’s tape is not the recommended method. Good to note.
Oregon Duck Fan
Grateful
Old 08-17-2020, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Cool Yep! So Far, Anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesdale View Post
jseth, you running your Dazzo with no preamp at all?
Yes, the "final" testing was the Goodall CJC w/ Dazzo 60's, into the T1 on the overall "flat" setting, no eq and no fx, into the Bose L1 Model II... sounded glorious!

Same for both my Mark Angus 12 string and 6 string, both the size/shape of a Guild F-40 (so, mini-jumbo - very close to the Goodall Concert Jumbo.

Both of the Angus guitars took 70's to get the tone we wanted...

I can't tell you how psyched I am to get out and perform with these babies! Of course, I'll give a full report when I am able to do so...

I have to add that the Dazzo's with the Sunnaudio preamps sounded even better than straight into the T1... I really wasn't enamored of having another piece of expensive gear in the signal chain, and can't really afford one of the Sunnaudio pre's right now, anyway, so I'm glad that the pickups sound as good as they do, straight into the T1 mixer...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 08-17-2020, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Could it be that Teddy has installed every Dazzo I have?

Funny story, I took my Texan to the shop where I bought it to check on an adjustment. They saw the Dazzo sticker and were excited to try it out. I grabbed my SunnAudio Stage 1 DI out of my case and told them to plug it in and set all the EQ flat. They ignored me, plugged into a Fishstick and started screwing with the EQ like it was a K&K. I told them again not to mess with the EQ,use the SunnAudio to optimize the impedance match, and did they have something that wasn't a Fishstick? (not a fan) Again I was ignored. I finally just took my guitar and said it was pointless if they didn't want to hear the Dazzos in a proper light they were wasting both of our time. They were just stuck on the EQ setting they used for every other SBT they had ever heard. Rolled the bass off and then didn't like the bass. Cut the mids then didn't like the mids.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

Last edited by Br1ck; 08-17-2020 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-17-2020, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Could it be that Teddy has installed every Dazzo I have?

Funny story, I took my Texan to the shop where I bought it to check on an adjustment. They saw the Dazzo sticker and were excited to try it out. I grabbed my SunnAudio Stage 1 DI out of my case and told them to plug it in and set all the EQ flat. They ignored me, plugged into a Fishstick and started screwing with the EQ like it was a K&K. I told them again not to mess with the EQ,use the SunnAudio to optimize the impedance match, and did they have something that wasn't a Fishstick? (not a fan) Again I was ignored. I finally just took my guitar and said it was pointless if they didn't want to hear the Dazzos in a proper light they were wasting both of our time. They were just stuck on the EQ setting they used for every other SBT they had ever heard. Rolled the bass off and then didn't like the bass. Cut the mids then didn't like the mids.
It is second nature to many to cut the mids. It’s in an acoustic guitarists DNA somehow. I find that I can get the “pop” I need for clarity by boosting treble. Sometimes I may reduce bass and leave the treble alone. I sometimes do one or the other. That’s it. If I try cutting mids, It never sounds better to me.
Oregon Duck Fan
Grateful
Old 11-05-2020, 07:40 AM

As I'm starting to consider trying a Dazzo, how does it compare to k&k regarding feedback? With the k&k I incurred several times with feedback problems, and now I've upgraded it with an Ultratonic kit which is killer.
I'd rather like not change the pickups just to discover I cannot use it live (I also must say that certain guitars maybe are not the best for SBT, my Lakewood M32C custom has a very responsive top, and gets feedback much more easily than a taylor 814)
Old 11-05-2020, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

Personally I think feedback is more related to the structure of the guitar than K&K vs Dazzo. The pickups will be similar in that regard in my experience. I have Dazzos in both my Martin M30 (light scalloped bracing and Itailian spruce top) and my Gibson AJ (thicker bracing and Sitka top). The AJ feeds back much less than the M30 in a band situation. So I use that in a band and the M30 for solo or duo gigs. I used to have a K&K in each guitar and it was the same story.
Martin 1966 D-21
MARTIN M-30 JORMA 1933 Shaded top (Dazzo)
MARTIN 2009 000-28M Sunburst #444
MARTIN 2009 000-28M Plain top #26
MARTIN 2018 D-18GE Sinker

and...

Last edited by Bluesdale; 11-05-2020 at 11:46 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-05-2020, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

If I played in a loud band, I'd get a soundhole magnetic pickup. If I were buying a guitar for just this situation, I'd buy a Cole Clark and live resigned to rolling mose of the mic and SBT off and living with the undersaddle pickup. The Cole Clark three way system covers all the bases.

I love Dazzos, but maybe not with a drummer.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 11-05-2020, 01:27 PM

I had K&Ks in several guitars and experienced the feedback issue quite often. Changed to Dazzo and had no feedback problems with the identical guitars. That's been one magical experience with the Dazzo: Much more natural sounding than any other SBT I know while being much more feedback resistant at the same time.
Same with UltraTonic, which is designed to sound more balanced and feedback resistant compared to a K&K.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 03-15-2021, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Default Resurrecting thread for a quick question

Hey, quick question for you folks knowledgeable about installing a Dazzo pickup... Teddy's video shows using JB-Weld 5-minute Epoxy, but many comments throughout AGF mention he prefers Loctite 6-minute epoxy gel.

Does it make any appreciable difference?

I have an unopened container or Harbor Freight 5-minute epoxy as well as an unopened Loctite 5-minute general purpose epoxy. None are gel.

Thanks in advance,
Dan
Old 03-16-2021, 12:54 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
If you want the total Dazzo experience, do exactly as he says using the glue he uses.
Yes , I say use the Loctite 6 min epoxy gel . Its sticky , gooey and like honey or tree sap it helps hold the pickup in place
Thx
Old 03-16-2021, 06:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzoman View Post
Yes , I say use the Loctite 6 min epoxy gel . Its sticky , gooey and like honey or tree sap it helps hold the pickup in place
Thx
Alright, thanks.
Old 03-17-2021, 02:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
If you want the total Dazzo experience, do exactly as he says using the glue he uses.
Hello again ,

This goes out to euraquilo .
I was wrong in the old video saying use the 5 min epoxy .
I found out later that the glue to use is Loctite 6 min epoxy gel .
Cheers,
Dazzo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification