The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-30-2020, 01:35 PM

Default Guitar Strings

How many factories are there in the United States that make guitar strings?
Old 09-30-2020, 10:48 PM

Not sure if you’re referring to ‘from scratch’ factories that make their own core and wraps, but I know Mapes Strings makes the core wire for quite a few of the big brands. I think they’re actually the oldest and largest manufacturer in America.

I buy their custom gauge sets regularly and find them to be great quality for a cheap price.

I think Curt Mangan may be another one but I can’t say with certainty.
Old 09-30-2020, 11:24 PM

There is GAMUT MUSIC, a small business that makes baroque guitars and lutes as well as gut strings for a variety of instruments. They do fine work.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:37 AM

It depends on what level of capacity and output you’re talking about. From what I’ve gathered over the years, the four biggest American-based musical instrument string manufacturers are D’Addario, GHS, Ernie Ball and Martin. Martin has since built a string-making factory just south of the US border, so while the ownership is still American, the employees who actually make the strings day in and day out are citizens of Mexico.

Those four are the four biggest guitar string manufacturers in the US, and all of them aside from Martin act as subcontractors and make strings for a wide array of other brand names as well.

It’s no secret that Elixir strings are made by one of the three large scale American stringmakers still making strings in the US: D’Addario, Ernie Ball or GHS. My understanding is that Elixir gets strings made by one of the big three, but routes the strings into their own production line and finishes them with their patented coating process.

The next step down in terms of production numbers are the midsized firms like LaBella, Everly/Cleartone and John Pearse. Basic guitar string technology is not that difficult or challenging to figure out, and it’s quite feasible to implement it in a small scale operation.

Many players would be surprised to learn that Gibson made its own strings for years in a small operation in Wheaton, Illinois, a western suburb of Chicago. I think that got shut down some ten or twelve years ago, but it was never a large scale operation.

I hope that this answers at least a few of your question.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 10-01-2020, 04:38 AM
Charter Member

Jim Dunlop also make strings, they say, in a place called Benicia (?) in California.

Their phos bronze strings have long been my preference for Dobro (until they stopped adding an extra 18), and their nickel Mandolin strings have proven excellent.

I also like their PB light gauge on my Collings 000 but supply of Dunlop strings in the UK can be problematic.
I perceive their PB to be very smooth and slightly warmer than Martin or D'adds - a bit like John Pearse - who I believe are made in Pennsylvania (according to an ancient AGF dialogue and proffered by professor Hampton!

I doubt that the many other guitar brands make heir own strings and buy "OEM" from Mapes or such, which doesn't make them bad, and each buyer can specify alloys core quality etc.
Old 10-01-2020, 05:39 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I know that Gibson changed their strings a couple of years ago. Their Masterbuilt strings, which I believe they have discontinued, had been made by GHS and had different specs than what GHS offers.
Best,
Jayne
Old 10-01-2020, 06:30 AM
Charter Member

https://www.rotosound.com/artists/
I thought maybe these guys know something I don't.
I quit playing USA strings years ago.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion