The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-30-2020, 11:50 PM

Default New Guitar Day

New Guitar today. My new doll baby is a Yamaha FGX830C with Solid Spruce top and mahogany back and sides. The reason I bought it is that about a week ago while holding my fairly new Fender dread, I I tripped and fell into a large bookcase with 3 glass doors at least 7 ft tall. I broke a glass door AND my Fender. The back has a crease in it and the wood is broken. Bur it plays pretty good. I can't tell the difference. So I bought a replacement and now have an extra guitar. Glad I'm not hurt.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:06 AM

Yeah, I’m also glad you’re not hurt! Congratulations on your new guitar.

whm
Old 10-01-2020, 02:42 AM
Charter Member

A story with a happy ending. I remember Jimi Hendrix setting fire to his Fender but I've never heard of damaging one with a bookcase! Glad you're ok.
Old 10-01-2020, 05:29 AM

Congratulations on the new guitar. May I recommend playing while sitting down. Glad your ok. It’s sounds like you’ve got a wall guitar now.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:40 AM

I just received my Yamaha FSX830C yesterday. I first bought an FSX800C but thought it lacked something. I generally like the FS800 series, and I decided to try the rosewood laminated version. So far I like it a lot, the size (concert) and the resonance. I know laminated wood doesn't give an enormous tonal difference, but I do believe the rosewood is better tonally than the nato/okume laminate on the FS800's. I bought it for the comfortable neck and the body size to eliminate the problems I have on my Martin's chunky neck when I try to fingerpick. I have small hands and do have trouble with the Martin's neck for a number of chords (C/G and D/F# for example) and bar chords especially. No such problems with the Yamaha neck.

Enjoy your FSX830C! (It sure is pretty, IMHO.)
Old 10-01-2020, 09:45 AM

I just received my Yamaha FSX830C Tobacco Sunburst yesterday. I first bought an FSX800C but thought it lacked something. I generally like the FS800 series a lot, but I decided to try the rosewood laminated version. (It sure is pretty, too.) So far I like it a lot, the size (concert) and the resonance. I know laminated wood doesn't give an enormous tonal difference, but I do believe the rosewood is a bit better tonally than the nato/okume laminate on the FS800's. I bought it for the comfortable neck and the body size to eliminate the problems I have on my Martin's chunky neck when I try to finger pick. I have small hands and have trouble with the chunkier neck for a number of chords (C/G and D/F# for example) and bar chords especially. No such problems with the Yamaha neck.

Enjoy your new guitar! BTW, if the back and sides are mahogany, it is an FSX820C. The FSX830C has rosewood laminated back and sides. Either way, you got a really good budget guitar.
Old 10-01-2020, 10:12 AM

I thank everyone for their response. I really like the new Yamaha and although I am primarily a classical player, Ragtime and Blues sound better on my acoustics.
Old 10-01-2020, 10:20 AM

It’s nice that you’re expanding your repertoire. It’s clear that you fit in well at this forum, where the unspoken credo seems to be:

“If it’s guitar-related, it’s good!”

Have fun.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 10-01-2020, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

For some reason, this scene comes to mind ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqpNQ9AJYgU

I'm glad to hear you weren't hurt. The FSX830C is a very nice guitar. Enjoy it in good health!
Gibson J-45 Standard
Breedlove Pursuit Concerto CE
Takamine F400S 12-string
Yamaha FG800
Citation CIT8000 "The Survivor"
Electrics:
Fender Standard Stratocaster (2004)
Old 10-01-2020, 12:05 PM

What was the Fender that ate glass? Also congrats on the new Yammy, if something ever happened to my guitar, that'd be my choice as well!
Old 10-01-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapido Eduwardo View Post
New Guitar today. My new doll baby is a Yamaha FGX830C with Solid Spruce top and mahogany back and sides. The reason I bought it is that about a week ago while holding my fairly new Fender dread, I I tripped and fell into a large bookcase with 3 glass doors at least 7 ft tall. I broke a glass door AND my Fender. The back has a crease in it and the wood is broken. Bur it plays pretty good. I can't tell the difference. So I bought a replacement and now have an extra guitar. Glad I'm not hurt.
Congratulations, and a Happy NGD to you!

Btw, your new Yamaha, the FGX830C has Rosewood back and sides.
Old 10-01-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeane View Post
I just received my Yamaha FSX830C yesterday. I first bought an FSX800C but thought it lacked something. I generally like the FS800 series, and I decided to try the rosewood laminated version. So far I like it a lot, the size (concert) and the resonance. I know laminated wood doesn't give an enormous tonal difference, but I do believe the rosewood is better tonally than the nato/okume laminate on the FS800's. I bought it for the comfortable neck and the body size to eliminate the problems I have on my Martin's chunky neck when I try to fingerpick. I have small hands and do have trouble with the Martin's neck for a number of chords (C/G and D/F# for example) and bar chords especially. No such problems with the Yamaha neck.

Enjoy your FSX830C! (It sure is pretty, IMHO.)
I agree.

I hear all the time how there’s practically no difference between the tone woods with laminate sides and backs. As you have noticed there is definitely a difference with the Yamahas.

I have both the FS820 (mahogany) and the FS830 (rosewood). While not as great a difference as there is between solid back and sides, the difference in tone is still definitely there. You can easily tell which is Mahogany and Rosewood, as they carry the same tone characteristics as there solid wood counterparts.

They both are awesome guitars!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
new guitar day