The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-27-2020, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Default NGD Edwinson Performance multiscale

What a crazy year this has been.

In July my mom passed away unexpectedly and I travelled back to Toronto to help my 84 year old dad out.

As it is covid time, I spent two weeks of the trip in quarantine in Canada and brought my travel guitars to keep me company along with reading through agf

The Edwinson market and custom shop posts caught my eye, as they had before.

I saw Steve mention he was open to offers and with all that was going on I figure you only live once.

Steve is as great a guy as his reputation here seems to indicate. We discussed the options available and what would be a good choice for me. I was looking for a finger style guitar that would be richer in overtones and louder than my TDK Kronbauer and one that would have
bevels cutaway and soundport.

I was originally looking at one of the Zephyrs as I figured that was about as far as I could stretch budget wise.

Instead Steve steered me towards Rapunzel this Edwinson Performance model.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=574430

She is everything I had hoped. Plays fantastic very comfortable and the tone is incredibly rich.

I just did my first string change so I will see where I land there but the ej16 were fantastic on the guitar as it came. Setup was also spot on.

I keep finding details throughout as well.

I am fortunate to have other nice guitars and was truly wondering whether the individual luthier work at the higher pricepoint would truly be better tone wise than what I have. It was already clear that bling wise and finish wise this beauty was at another level.

I am happy to report that it has the tone and playability to match the looks and indeed is a step up. Every time I pick it up I am still entranced by the sound.

The omega headstock is very easy to work with and does result in very nice straight pull. She is also very nicely balanced.

Many thanks to Steve for working with me and finding the right instrument for me as well as creating such fine pieces.

I haven't had a chance to try out other high end luthiers but I have tried some high end stuff from the small boutique builders and I believe this to be the nicest guitar I have had the pleasure to play to date.

Last edited by Aspiring; 09-27-2020 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-27-2020, 02:01 PM

First, I am sorry to hear about your mother and hope your father is coping as well as he can.

On to the good stuff, Mr. Sheriff is about as sincere a fellow as I have ever had a chance to meet. I nicer guy could not be designed I don't think. He reminds me a lot of me except I am better looking .

To me the character of the builder is just as important as the build when you get into these luthier built guitars and if I am correct in that assessment, this guitar must be simply outstanding. She sure looks that way and from your description, she sounds that way to. Congrats on the new Edwinson and your new friend in Steve, because he really becomes friends with all his customers, even me!

Tom
Old 09-27-2020, 02:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

I believe Tom as just about covered it as far as how great Steve is as a person and how wonderful his guitars are. So I’ll just add my congratulations. Sounds like you have found a little relief in tough times. Enjoy your new instrument!

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 09-28-2020, 01:10 AM
Charter Member

That is one awesome looking guitar! Congratulations and I hope that it brings you happiness each day. I purchased a Wingert close to my own mother's passing. It has elements that remind me of my parents, and that adds a lot to the enjoyment I get from playing it.
Old 09-28-2020, 04:45 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Beautiful axe! Congrats!
Old 09-28-2020, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Thanks all for the comments.
I feel very fortunate to be able to have an instrument like this now to keep working on my playing ...
Old 09-29-2020, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

Adding a bit more there as mentioned I keep discovering little details on the workmanship. This is a close-up of the rosette also showing the logo inside the instrumentIMG_20200929_154307551.jpg
Old 09-30-2020, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful! I have a guitar built by Steve, and the workmanship is amazing. On top of that, I don’t know that you will ever meet a finer human. Enjoy!!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop