The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-11-2020, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Hmmm, usually it is the N2 neck that has some folks complaining here. This is twice now in a couple months that I've heard people don't care for the Emerald profile. I've not personally played one but if it is somewhere between a thin profile and the N2/ NS that might actually be a good thing to me.
If you're calling a Taylor neck a thin profile, then, indeed, the X20 neck profile is between that and the N2/NS neck... closer to the Taylor than the N2. I am a big fan of the Taylor profile and the neck on the X20 is very comfortable to me. The profile on the X10, which leans towards the electric side, reminds me a lot of my Taylor T5 (both are 1 11/16" nut width); thin and comfortable to my hand.

I had a RS Shorty with the NS neck - I really tried to like that neck, but after getting my first Emerald (a previous generation X7), I knew I would have to re-home the Shorty. I kinda feel that you can get used to most neck profiles; even traveling with the Shorty as my only guitar for months, that neck would give me hand cramps... couldn't get used to that one.
Old 09-11-2020, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
If you're calling a Taylor neck a thin profile, then, indeed, the X20 neck profile is between that and the N2/NS neck... closer to the Taylor than the N2. I am a big fan of the Taylor profile and the neck on the X20 is very comfortable to me. The profile on the X10, which leans towards the electric side, reminds me a lot of my Taylor T5 (both are 1 11/16" nut width); thin and comfortable to my hand.

I had a RS Shorty with the NS neck - I really tried to like that neck, but after getting my first Emerald (a previous generation X7), I knew I would have to re-home the Shorty. I kinda feel that you can get used to most neck profiles; even traveling with the Shorty as my only guitar for months, that neck would give me hand cramps... couldn't get used to that one.
I think Taylor has a good universal neck (i think it is called the NT?). I'm with you on the NS and moved my RainSong on for the same reason, not so much cramping but it just didn't fit my style. Maybe it was the combination of profile/ fret board radius but not sure. I would probably love the stock Emerald neck if it as you describe.
Old 09-11-2020, 11:09 PM
Charter Member

Interesting to see what people prefer for necks .... Over the years I’ve gravitated toward the neck profile Breedlove uses, and when I had my Emerald custom x20-12 made I used the neck profile from my custom Breedlove 12 string .... more of a flattened C with a nut width of 45.7 mm (narrower than most 12 strings)
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 09-11-2020, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarwebguy View Post
Interesting to see what people prefer for necks .... Over the years I’ve gravitated toward the neck profile Breedlove uses, and when I had my Emerald custom x20-12 made I used the neck profile from my custom Breedlove 12 string .... more of a flattened C with a nut width of 45.7 mm (narrower than most 12 strings)
It's interesting to find out your own neck preferences too. In my ignorance regarding what I preferred in a neck profile, I had a Breedlove AC25/SR Plus. The neck was fine for my style of play and I owned it for nearly 8 years. I did find it a little cramped in the cowboy chords area and then finally began to get my hands on some guitars with 1.75 nut widths, the Breedlove had a 1 11/16 nut. I sold that guitar vowing to never to own another 1 11/16 nut again (and I haven't). Yes, I can play them, and I also play a little ukulele too, but for a guitar to feel "right" to me it must have 1.75 of real estate. Many don't find it to be a big deal but I do. And, while overall Breedloves have a very nice profile to them, I have found that I like a bit of meat too and lean more toward a Martin performance neck or even a Guild (which are among the chunkiest I've played). Nothing touches RainSong N2/NS for hefty, hefty, hefty though. All others by comparison are whimpy, whimpy, whimpy.

Should I ever own a RainSong again it will be the older style N1, of which the 20" radius seems to work better for my classical fretting form.
Old 09-12-2020, 05:21 AM

I don't fret the small stuff either.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 09-12-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
I don't fret the small stuff either.
Too funny!
Old 09-12-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lat18 View Post
No I don't. My beef with the X-20 neck is that it's too "U" shaped, too thick at the edges. I like more of a "C" shape. The Loar neck is more of a soft "V", considerably thicker than the carbon guitars, but for some reason that doesn't bother me.

Same. It just never felt right or comfortable.
Old 09-12-2020, 10:18 AM

I think that the neck preference thing is way too dependent on too many variables to get an accurate answer. I have 2 emeralds and I really struggle to like the neck. For me it is too fat, yet I also have two Rainsongs with N2 necks that feel great to me but many others on the forum hate this neck shape. I think finger diameter and length have something to do with it I think arthritis and flexibility may also affect someone’s opinion. For me - I was an accordion player before I played guitar so my left wrist is slightly turned in from pushing the bellows. I do really like the Mcpherson neck shape. But it may not be for everyone. I do have a Martin 00-15s that is also very comfortable. I would take anyone’s negative opinion with a grain of salt. It’s only a opinion

Last edited by Irishrep; 09-12-2020 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-12-2020, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

I prefer the Taylor standard neck profile as featured on a 614ce/814ce etc., over my Emerald X20's profile.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-17-2020, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
My favorite wood guitar is my 814ce; the favorite carbon fiber is my X20. In stock form, the necks are not the same, but are quite similar. While Emerald will make a custom neck to your specifications, if you like the Taylor, you will very likely be delighted with the X20.
My first impression of the custom neck on my X-20 was the same above as Jim’s. It felt very similar to the Taylor’s I have owned and that is a good thing as I like Taylor necks.

I had this discussion with Jason Kostal two days ago as I have a custom commission he has started. I get along with all of the neck profiles on all the guitars in my sig. Jason believed that as long as the neck shape/profile is not something radically different from shapes and profiles that have evolved over 100 years, that anyone with a relatively normal hand (in terms of strength and flexibility) can get accustomed to just about any neck shape and I believe that has been my experience. If I compare my RS and Emerald, the Emerald neck does seem easier but once I start playing the RS, I quickly forget about the neck and just play. YMMV.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)

Last edited by SprintBob; 09-19-2020 at 01:52 AM.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:13 PM
Charter Member

I think my Emerald X20's neck feels noticeably thicker than any of my Taylors, and more like my RainSong. It’s a little flatter on the back than the RainSong, and slightly thinner close to the nut. I found the RainSong neck to be similar to my 00-Martin, with the main differences being 1 3/4” compared to 1 5/8" (for the Martin) at the nut, and slightly thicker than the Martin close to the nut.

It took about two weeks to adapt to the RainSong neck, and I really like playing it. The similarity of my new X20's neck to the RainSongs's made it easier to get used to it. My hands aren’t big enough to wrap around the neck and use my thumb on the low e string anyway, so the additional thickness compared to my Taylors wasn’t a problem. I think the X20’s neck works well when playing chords with my thumb along the center back of the neck.

Switching between my guitars isn’t a problem. With all of them, there was a period of time strengthening muscles and getting comfortable compared to what I’ve been used to. Of all my guitars, the neck I like best is the one on my Strandberg electric.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber