The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-18-2022, 05:38 PM

They will be passed on to my daughters and grandkids.
Old 01-18-2022, 05:56 PM

My wife predeceased me, so I have only my one daughter and two small grandchildren.

I started collecting guitars as a side gig to my retirement plan. I figured if times got real tough (watch out, it's coming!) and I need extra cash, I could dump one or two at a time.

Failing that, my daughter, who doesn't play, and my son-in-law who only plunks on a bass occasionally will need to figure it out. My granddaughter hasn't shown an interest in playing (I've tried) and my grandson has promise, but he's still too young.
Old 01-18-2022, 06:46 PM

We are on third generation pickers ages 3 to 78 years old. My brothers and I started an instrument library my niece is in charge of. Any of the family pickers can choose an instrument of their choice and can keep it as long as they are playing or one in their family are playing it. we have both high end and special mid range guitars, mandolins, banjos and ukes with her. So far so good. Is really gratifying watching a three year old sitting with us oldsters jammin' away on a small uke with all their might. there are some instruments we sell or give away to special friends or organizations we feel would benefit by them. Just gave a couple mid range Guild classicals to a local Guitar for Vets group to pass on.
Old 01-18-2022, 06:47 PM

My plans are in my will. Suffice it to say, they will be distributed among my progeny.
Old 01-18-2022, 06:49 PM

I won't have any family so I guess it will be tossed in a dumpster or whoever finds my body takes it.
Old 01-18-2022, 07:30 PM

All my stuff, guitars included, will be passed on to my two adult children who can do what they wish with everything.

Bill

2002 Taylor GA 12-string custom: sitka/mahogany
2013 Greven OOO: Lutz/Brazilian
2021 Greven OO-12 fret: Lutz/Brazilian
2017 Rainsong Al Petteway Ltd. OOO: carbon fiber
2017 Birdsong Especial II Bass: Cypress/Rosewood
Old 01-18-2022, 07:43 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

Please, please, please... understand that anything you want to have happen MUST be in writing in the form of a will or your survivors will have to go through state probate court. It doesn't matter what 'you say' to anyone. If it goes to probate, it is a pain in the butt and takes money to process through the courts.

My advice is to make sure you have a will that specifies exactly what to do with the material assets that you own so it doesn't go to the state court to figure out.
Old 01-18-2022, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
Sounds like you did a lot of research to get the maximum possible return on the inheritance. It's far easier to simply throw/give stuff away or sell it fast and cheap. Especially since it wasn't your money to begin with.
It was more I knew how much care my brother had put into some of his things and I wanted to treat them with a respect he would have appreciated. I guess I'm funny that way.
Ovation Legend
Guild D40
Old 01-19-2022, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

Not my problem.

I would like to see my niece's son get some of my gear.

But since moving out of state. I'm not sure how that would happen.
Old 01-19-2022, 07:34 AM

I suppose I should give this some thought before I get too much older. I have a pile of instruments, many worth quite a few thousand individually. We have a will. My daughter plays and she's a music teacher, so I'm sure she'll want some of this stuff. My son tinkered a bit with guitar when he was a teen, but I don't think he's played since then. But he is very sentimental and will probably hold onto something the way I still have my father's Gibson tenor banjo from the 40's in a closet.

I've been the executor of a couple of wills and know that this process can be a pain, but it's also often unwelcome for a 70 year old father to go around the family saying, "I'm probably going to die before too much longer, do you want any of this stuff?"

My only fear is that they sell it for considerably less than it's worth, but that's unlikely now that everyone is computer savvy.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 01-19-2022, 07:47 AM

It's not that hard to get rid of guitars though really. But this is an important consideration. My wife does pottery and I build guitars so not only do I have a lot of guitars but also a substantial amount of wood. I have written the price of what I purchased on ever piece so if I croak tomorrow she will have a very nice nest egg. If she were to die then I would have to get rid of an entire pottery studio or take up the hobby myself. But I don't see a big deal in doing that. It would make sad as hell but it's not like it's a big trouble and I think I would actually enjoy passing a little piece of her on to someone else.
Old 01-19-2022, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graylocks View Post
It was more I knew how much care my brother had put into some of his things and I wanted to treat them with a respect he would have appreciated. I guess I'm funny that way.
I understand. People have many different ways of mentally dealing with the "things" that belonged to others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
I am in the process of writing a letter that will go to our executor. It will specify who gets each guitar and who gets other “personal items” (like my watch, a ring, my rocking chair, some family heirlooms, etc.).
A "letter" carries very little weight legally unless incorporated into your will. Talk to your lawyer about a "codicil" (will amendment/add-on).
Old 01-19-2022, 10:54 AM

My boys are 6 and 9. I hope they're interested in guitars. Otherwise, I guess I'll start selling or donating stuff if I start feeling too old to play.
Old 01-19-2022, 12:27 PM

Everything I have will go to my daughter; guitars, cameras, watches, cars, motorcycles... everything.

Of everything, I know she wants my Yairi and my Strat. She'll likely keep some of my vintage camera collection, but to actually use them as opposed to putting them on a shelf. She also wants my Omega Seamaster (I've already given her the one which was her grandfather's), but has little interest in any of the others.

If there's any money left, she'll get that, too...
Old 01-19-2022, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

A friend and I have both have an inventory with serial numbers, descriptions, etc. If I go first, my wife calls him and he will handle the sale, probably via consignment with a store we know does very well handling consignments.

He gets first pick for his help, and I know which he will choose.

If he goes first, the process is reversed. And yes, I know which one I will pick.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion