The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-17-2022, 03:38 PM

Default difficulty playing Dreads

Anyone have trouble playing their Dreads after playing OM body models after all these years.? I hardly ever play my D28 anymore but hate to part with it, even though it sits in it's case.Yesterday I brought it out to play for a while, very uncomfortable! Has anyone sold a very sentimental guitar because it just doesn't get used? I have had this guitar for 50 years!
Old 01-17-2022, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

I almost always play a dread but did earlier today play my one smaller body guitar...a Boucher OM. I really like that little OM but dreads (standard or slope) are my "go to" guitars.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-17-2022, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
Anyone have trouble playing their Dreads after playing OM body models after all these years.? I hardly ever play my D28 anymore but hate to part with it, even though it sits in it's case.Yesterday I brought it out to play for a while, very uncomfortable! Has anyone sold a very sentimental guitar because it just doesn't get used? I have had this guitar for 50 years!

….indeed….my worn out carpenters body started feeling discomfort with dreads nearly twenty five years ago when I was in my early forties and had been framing houses for 20 years…shoulder issues you know…(just had a new left should installed ten days ago….recovering nicely thank you very much)…..at one point I was dreadless for more than a decade….I have learned though that I really love the sound and feel of a Dreadnought and can’t give up having one to play occasionally….it’s the guitar type I grew up with and there are times when a smaller guitar can’t satisfy….it’s like moving off of the spinet in the parlor to the grand piano in the great room when I put down the OM and pick up the dread…..

….so I have found a comfortable way to play a dread seated….when seated with my legs crossed I can tilt my dread inward…..it decreases the shoulder spread on my picking arm and allows me to hear the guitar better….I can play fairly pain free that way….the downside is it also rotates the neck which affects the wrist and fingering side of things….but I manage to find a position that works for me and I love it…..

…..it’s worth experimenting….A firm sofa that’s not too deep works best for me….unfortunately if I want to stand and play I have a limited amount of time that I can do so comfortably without medication which I’m not really down with…
Old 01-17-2022, 04:12 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

I’m 70 and still playing only dreads. I’ve tried OMs, 000, even a 00. Sweet instruments. But they just don’t get me where I want to go. I love the big feel and sound of a good dread.

FOR SALE: 2023 Martin 000-15SM 12 fret w/ K&K mini

Old 01-17-2022, 04:14 PM

I like the thought that an instrument that once brought me so much joy is going to do the same for some other person after I release it into the wild.

After all, "All Things Must Pass..."
Old 01-17-2022, 04:31 PM

I'm a jumbo and dread person - anything smaller tends to hurt my ears.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 01-17-2022, 04:36 PM

For nearly 50 years -I’ve always gravitated towards smaller 000/00 and L-00 or LG guitars. It’s more of a Tonal preference to me and the comfort factor has never been the reason I enjoy smaller box’s. I dig the J-185 mini jumbo guitars a lot and -still play Dreads occasionally— especially in settings where several 2 -or more other guitars are in the Mix. The Custom Brazillian’ pre-war style Dread/Bone crusher-I crafted back in 1990’ fits the Bill for Bluegrass or Group settings quite well.
Old 01-17-2022, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

I sometimes play my dreads with a capo at the second fret. The change of position is refreshing, and the resonance of the guitar is still satisfying.

I don't have a shorter scale guitar, but this may approximate them.
Old 01-17-2022, 04:51 PM

Me too.

Used to play with friends out and about and always took the dread. But since covid, I have played it maybe half a dozen times. Just too big for the couch. OO or OM is what I have been noodling on.

I should move it along...
Old 01-17-2022, 04:56 PM

Can't play dreads for longer periods - my right shoulder starts to hurt really badly.
Luckily, I prefer the sound of small-bodied guitars...
Old 01-17-2022, 05:19 PM

I love both and each have a different purpose....if I had to keep only one guitar it would be a tough choice but I’d probably choose the dread. That’s just a guess and hopefully that day never comes. I love the clarity of the OM for finger style but for flat picking (most of what I do) I personally know of no better sound than a golden era Martin or Gibson.
Old 01-17-2022, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

I went from dreadnaught to GS Mini because I thought that it was huge and clumsy. Then last summer I bought a Guild dreadnaught that I really like. The first dread was my wife's and she sold it so I don't know if there was some difference between the two dreads or if I was just ready to play a bigger guitar.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 01-17-2022, 06:18 PM

I keep throwing this shoulder stretch out there in hopes it might help others with shoulder pain like I had. Just wrap an arm across your chest, hold with the opposite arm at the elbow for 30 seconds and repeat the other side.

Of course I haven't been doing a whole lot of stretching as of lately after just getting over covid 19 long haul for two years, then catching omicron having a trip to the er a few nights ago. If you enjoy loosing brain cells, these are two wonderful ways to achieve it.
Old 01-17-2022, 06:25 PM

Yeah, I have a lot of neck, shoulder and back pain from Army injuries. I can play my D-40 for a short time standing up, but I have a better time playing my new OO-40.
Old 01-17-2022, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

I played dreads my whole life (and I'm old). But since I bought my first 00 size body a few years ago, that's what I prefer to play.

That 00 size is just so darned comfortable, and sounds great too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion