The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: What format would you use to sell a guitar? More than one choice - - -
AGF Classifieds as they are widely seen and inexpensive to use. 97 50.00%
Consign to an online or local shop to handle the sale - don't want to deal with buyers directly 69 35.57%
Reverb directly - I can do this myself 55 28.35%
Craigslist - Just want to sell locally 79 40.72%
Other - Please explain 23 11.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-17-2022, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

The Martin forum is awesome because their rules are so clear, and the community is generally respectable and transparent. Never had a problem there. Same with Mandolin Cafe.

I like AGF but it doesn’t seem like there’s a published set of forum rules on buying and selling (although I’d be happy if someone could prove me wrong there).

I used to use reverb more until they raised rates and started charging tax. Starting this month, they’re now also reporting individual sales to the irs, so taxes become more of a headache come 2023.

I hear good things about Facebook marketplace, but I’m not on Facebook.
Old 01-17-2022, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

I usually start with CL or FB marketplace, but only local sales to avoid the shipping hassle. If that doesn't work, then AGF. I have yet to consign a guitar, but would be open to the idea depending on commission.
Old 01-17-2022, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

I no longer buy and sell guitars for kicks. If I want to move any of my current herd for whatever reason I would consign the instrument through a reputable dealer and let them deal with the pricing, product description, and shipping.

I have a letter of instruction with my will for my wife or son that details my recommendations for liquidating musical instruments and firearms in the event of my unexpected passing.
Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Weber Mandolin
Old 01-17-2022, 11:10 AM

I've had really good luck selling local, cash sales only and no shipping, just using craigslist.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 01-17-2022, 12:59 PM

Been able to unload mine on Craigslist. Local cash sale, no fees. No hassle with shipping and buyer can look it over real good in case I miss anything.

It helps that I'm in a big enough city with lots of musicians. I think if I lived in a more rural area, I'd have to rethink things.

Old 01-17-2022, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
I like AGF but it doesn’t seem like there’s a published set of forum rules on buying and selling (although I’d be happy if someone could prove me wrong there).
Hey Zoo... what are these?
Old 01-17-2022, 01:04 PM

I've consigned at Elderly Instruments and have traded-in quite a few times with them too.

I've sold through another guitar forum and locally through Facebook Marketplace.

I've been lucky, all good experiences.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 01-17-2022, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
I’ve sold over 20 guitars right here on AGF, the only place I’ve ever used.

This is a great forum filled with quality people and serious enthusiasts, but let’s be clear about one thing. Your guitar will NOT be “widely seen.” Most people have no idea about AGF. If you want widely seen, you go to Facebook or EBay.

Me personally I’ll stick with AGF.
This ^.

Selling on AGF is usually my first choice, but I have found reasons to sometimes consign and sometimes sell on Reverb.

And unless I think I might need a trial period, I much prefer to buy using AGF classifieds.
Old 01-17-2022, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

To me, the best way to part with a guitar would be to have a friend or acquaintance buy them from me...

In 2020, I decided to trim all my guitars down to just three: one great 6 string acoustic, one great 12 string acoustic and one great electric. I was able to sell two of those to friends, and I was able to give them very good prices on the guitars. One of those guitars was my Mark Angus #35 acoustic, a guitar I had played, gigged with and recorded with for 40 years... I'm still proud that I was able to sell it to a good friend for what I paid for it in 1979!

I did sell one here on our Classifieds, and I bought my current (and only) 6 string acoustic there, as well. Both transactions went remarkably smooth and timely...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 01-17-2022, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

I’ve used them all except Reverb.
Old 01-17-2022, 01:30 PM

Beware of Ebay and Reverb now. Starting Jan. 1, you will receive a 1099 and have to report the sale as income on the following years tax return.
'15 Taylor 914c
'99 Gibson Firebird V
'19 Martin 00-28
'14 Martin OM-42
'54 Martin 00-18
'53 Martin 000-18
'50 Martin 000-28
'67 Gibson J-45
'95 Martin HD-28
'78 Yamaha FG-512
'18 Gibson 1959 Les Paul
'19 Fender CS '64 Tele Custom
'14 Fender 1954 Strat
'03 PRS Hollowbody I
'99 Fender Paisley Tele
'76 Gibson Les Paul Custom
Old 01-17-2022, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

In the last three years I have sold acoustics:

1) via AGF
2) via UMGF
3) via Craigslist
4) via Facebook marketplace… to a local guy
5) to my buddy.
6) via Reverb

Craigslist was the worst.
Reverb easiest… but costly!

About five years ago, my favorite NJ music store charged 15% to consign and sell a guitar there. I did it once and it was easy of course. They have since gone to 25%, but if it were 15% again I believe that’s the only way I’d ever sell a guitar again. I get too much anxiety about shipping…

I’m actually at a loss as to why more music stores are not dropping their consignment percentages. They need inventory, and supply is constrained. It would seem to be a no brainer way to get more folks in the stores to buy other things.
Old 01-17-2022, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

I've consigned 3 locally in the past few years. I love the process and supporting this small local shop.

I do plan to also use AGF at some. Lord knows I've bought plenty here, it's time to "give back".......

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics
Old 01-17-2022, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

In the last two years I’ve sold 10 or so guitars on Craigslist and a couple on the Gretsch forum. I’ve been selling cars, motorcycles, kayaks, bicycles, guitars etc on Craigslist for years. Ya get pretty good at weeding out the nuts and scammers.

The best crowd has been local guitar folks. I have spent a lot of time with some of them just talking guitars after the deal was completed. Very enjoyable, some really nice folks.
Old 01-18-2022, 06:34 AM
Charter Member

Default Other

I glanced through the posts and was surprised no one has mentioned the Mandolin Cafe. They have a guitar section where both individual persons and music shops can list a guitar for sale. Since I returned to playing the guitar via learning the mandolin I check in on that site often--great people, well administered, and tons of good info. And an easy-to-use Buy/Sell forum.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion