The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-17-2022, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Here's my Bourgeois with German bearclaw
Old 01-17-2022, 02:22 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs9YPWPuIfQ

I have Bear Claw Sitka Quilted Sapele Dred instead of the OM on the video. It is one of the best combos.
Old 01-17-2022, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soups View Post
Here's my Bourgeois with German bearclaw
soups! You're killing me man!!!!

All your guitars are GORGEOUS!!!! You have impeccable tastes my man. Interestingly enough, at the end of the day I've decided not to go with Adi OR BearClawSitka...

After contacting SCGC; here's what they had to say:

"Sitka has more of a warmth and roundness of sound, so you won't get as much definition out of each note... European is a bit brighter, with more clarity, and Adirondack will be even brighter, punchy at times, with the most note separation. For fingerstyle playing, we typically recommend Cedar or Redwood, as they are softer tops, and offer a quicker response to a lighter attack. But they do not offer as much headroom as Spruce, so if you plan to do some heavier strumming our chordal work, we would not recommend them. Since we thickness all our tops to a precise measurement, there will not be a significant tonal difference between the Bear Claw Sitka and the standard Sitka. If you want more of an in-between of Sitka and Adirondack, I would highly recommend European Spruce. "

So that's the way I'm gonna go! European!
Old 01-17-2022, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkabong View Post
soups! You're killing me man!!!!

All your guitars are GORGEOUS!!!! You have impeccable tastes my man. Interestingly enough, at the end of the day I've decided not to go with Adi OR BearClawSitka...

After contacting SCGC; here's what they had to say:

"Sitka has more of a warmth and roundness of sound, so you won't get as much definition out of each note... European is a bit brighter, with more clarity, and Adirondack will be even brighter, punchy at times, with the most note separation. For fingerstyle playing, we typically recommend Cedar or Redwood, as they are softer tops, and offer a quicker response to a lighter attack. But they do not offer as much headroom as Spruce, so if you plan to do some heavier strumming our chordal work, we would not recommend them. Since we thickness all our tops to a precise measurement, there will not be a significant tonal difference between the Bear Claw Sitka and the standard Sitka. If you want more of an in-between of Sitka and Adirondack, I would highly recommend European Spruce. "

So that's the way I'm gonna go! European!
That’s pretty much how I feel about European spruce on my ceo. It has great definition and clarity and yet a nice responsive feel.
Old 01-17-2022, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

Awesome. Congrats!!
Old 01-18-2022, 07:21 PM

99% bare finger picker. I haven't found anything I like better than this Jake Robinson SJ Bearclaw Spruce topped gem. Proper bracing is key to the responsive top you seek.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY0013.jpg (33.6 KB, 40 views)
Old 01-18-2022, 10:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlechange View Post
You might want to view this video made by luthier John Greven, former repairman at Gruhn Guitars shop, showing and talking about how he picks Adi, spruce, sitka, etc. tops...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZcrK795u6k
Hysterical!
Quote:
”Listen to this! They don’t make trees like this anymore … You just don’t hear… spruce that sounds like this anymore. I mean, its just amazing material. I use this specifically when I do reproductions of vintage Gibson guitars because it gets to that… that kinda ballsy, intense, bright but but powerful sound that the old… old Gibsons had. It’s not sophisticated… it’s not like a Martin sound… it’s… it’s raunchy, but in a good sorta way.”

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion