The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: What format would you use to sell a guitar? More than one choice - - -
AGF Classifieds as they are widely seen and inexpensive to use. 97 50.00%
Consign to an online or local shop to handle the sale - don't want to deal with buyers directly 69 35.57%
Reverb directly - I can do this myself 55 28.35%
Craigslist - Just want to sell locally 79 40.72%
Other - Please explain 23 11.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-18-2022, 07:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Hey Zoo... what are these?
Sorry, I should have been more specific in referring to terms of sale. On the UMGF, for example, there is a clearly stated 3 day review period where a guitar can be returned, no questions asked, for any reason. Their rules stipulate who pays for shipping in that situation. And those rules are universal to every sale, whether you like them or not. Mandolin cafe has a similar basic groundwork to use the site. AGF doesn’t have something similar in the rules you cited.

Example of a way a purchase went sideways for me here on AGF. Big seller here listed an expensive Martin guitar. He Posted good close up photos showing a very tall saddle. Told me over the phone “saddle is taller than most I’ve seen on boutique guitars.” Gave me action measurements that showed good playability. (Because it was clear from the photos the saddle was tall, I didn’t demand a measured saddle height). Got the guitar, and the saddle was almost flush with the bridge, not at all like the photos. Turns out the photos were 8 years old, which he neglected to mention. Seller didn’t want the guitar back, and I’m dead in the water, footing the bill for a neck reset. Maybe that’s on me for not asking all the right questions up front, but I also don’t think you should have to be an attorney to feel comfortable buying a guitar here. When there’s a no questions asked return period, it’s in the sellers best interest to disclose everything to avoid a potentially annoying return later.

On mandolin cafe or UMGF, if that guitar return doesn’t get accepted and refunded, that person loses his forum access—enough pressure to keep some folks in check. On AGF, it’s just easier to get away with stuff like that, which makes me a little more apprehensive as a buyer here.

Last edited by zoopeda; 01-18-2022 at 07:15 AM.
Old 01-18-2022, 09:39 AM

I used to buy and sell on eBay, then reverb.
The market is huge compared to the local one for mid-range acoustics
and I do not have to loose my time with lurkers or have any to come to
my place...
I got info about consignment : High costs and risk that lurkers
accidentally damage the instrument that would loose in value...
I sell, pack and ship, that's it.
Old 01-18-2022, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
Sorry, I should have been more specific in referring to terms of sale. On the UMGF, for example, there is a clearly stated 3 day review period where a guitar can be returned, no questions asked, for any reason. Their rules stipulate who pays for shipping in that situation. And those rules are universal to every sale, whether you like them or not. Mandolin cafe has a similar basic groundwork to use the site. AGF doesn’t have something similar in the rules you cited.

Example of a way a purchase went sideways for me here on AGF. Big seller here listed an expensive Martin guitar. He Posted good close up photos showing a very tall saddle. Told me over the phone “saddle is taller than most I’ve seen on boutique guitars.” Gave me action measurements that showed good playability. (Because it was clear from the photos the saddle was tall, I didn’t demand a measured saddle height). Got the guitar, and the saddle was almost flush with the bridge, not at all like the photos. Turns out the photos were 8 years old, which he neglected to mention. Seller didn’t want the guitar back, and I’m dead in the water, footing the bill for a neck reset. Maybe that’s on me for not asking all the right questions up front, but I also don’t think you should have to be an attorney to feel comfortable buying a guitar here. When there’s a no questions asked return period, it’s in the sellers best interest to disclose everything to avoid a potentially annoying return later.

On mandolin cafe or UMGF, if that guitar return doesn’t get accepted and refunded, that person loses his forum access—enough pressure to keep some folks in check. On AGF, it’s just easier to get away with stuff like that, which makes me a little more apprehensive as a buyer here.
a good example of communicating with a seller via emails and asking for current electronically dated photos - i'll pull those photos into my system and look at the location and date if available.
i guess an alternative an alternative method of dating a photo with a newspaper or such in the background if there is any type of concern.

as i recall, the seller on the AGF classifieds here can delete a listing even after it's sold -
could be mistaken.
Old 01-18-2022, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I voted consignment since those are the sales that I have had the most luck with and gotten the best price. I have also sold guitars privately one or two times. I think that the biggest factor is who/where is the market for the particular guitar that you are selling and what method will maximize you reaching those folks.

Best,
Jayne
Old 01-18-2022, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeWalker View Post
a good example of communicating with a seller via emails and asking for current electronically dated photos - i'll pull those photos into my system and look at the location and date if available.
i guess an alternative an alternative method of dating a photo with a newspaper or such in the background if there is any type of concern.
Hindsight is always 20-20. There are things I could have done. But on the flip side, what you propose turns the typical tire-kicker into a total nightmare. I was seriously interested in that guitar, but what if I had had the seller go through all of that only to change my mind? Sure, I would have caught the issue. But if AGF just had a standard 3 day review period, no questions asked, then suddenly the seller has a lot more motivation to make sure he's communicating issues that could trigger a return. And the buyer doesn't have to be a full fledged attorney to buy the guitar. There are enough forums out there that offer standard baseline terms of sale that I'd prefer to buy there. Not that I'd never buy here again--especially if it's from a forum member I know and trust--but usually AGF listings can be found on UMGF and or Mandolin Cafe, so I go there to initiate contact.
Old 01-18-2022, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Craigslist. Thriving local market, and I want to get the most for my guitars. No shipping. No internet quibbling about someone having breathed on the finish at some point, or "pick marks on the pick guard". It's a guitar, not an action figure in an unopened box.

I choose great guitars by playing them first, and I want full value for my guitars. Letting the buyer play them sells them. Local sales put the focus on tone, playability, and condition of the instrument. Internet sales focus on pictures.
Old 01-18-2022, 02:17 PM

At this point I am either Craigslist or Local Consignment.

1) Shipping a guitar has simply become far too expensive for an individual.

2) Craigslist buyers generally don't have buyers remorse 3 days later and want to return it.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 01-18-2022, 08:05 PM

Recently sold one on Facebook, sold within a week locally. I did get one SCAM attempt however.
Old 01-19-2022, 12:04 AM

I take a two-tiered approach: with high dollar guitars I sell them on consignment at Elderly Instruments. Less expensive guitars and mandolins I sell through a lady named Belle Mickelson in the small fishing town of Cordova, where there’s an annual summer music camp that I taught at for years.

Belle is the musical sparkplug for the community, and an instrument left with her gets sold sooner or later. Those fishermen come to town, sell their catch and have money to spend, so they instruments buy from her.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 01-19-2022, 04:00 AM

I don't see the poll, maybe because I'm on my phone. Been selling only on fb because I don't want to deal with shipping and I only move in the world of cheap guitars. It's a lot of fun though!
Old 01-19-2022, 05:34 AM
Charter Member

AGF Classifieds has been my go-to, and the Buy & Sell forum on another guitar centric forum…but I’ve used Facebook Marketplace, and a couple of guitar groups there as well. The advantage to the FB thing is that you can easily advertise on several different platforms…the down side is the number of tire kickers & critics who post telling others your price is too high, and even providing links to where prospective buyers can get whatever model you’re trying to sell for less! Really yanks my chain…but it’s just the joys of social media. Gotta love it!
Old 01-19-2022, 08:27 AM

I chose other because I have never sold a guitar, I have traded once and given a few away to people I knew who wanted a guitar but couldn't afford it.

Want little, and you shall have all you need.
Old 01-21-2022, 08:11 PM

Thank you all for your comments and participation -
Old 01-21-2022, 09:55 PM

I have bought and sold 25+ guitars over the past 4 years. 95% we’re on OfferUp. It’s a great resource if you are in a larger metropolitan area.
Old 01-21-2022, 10:14 PM

SO many guitar forums and Facebook Marketplace, it’s never been easier to sell or buy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion