The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-30-2019, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Default 2018 Emerald X7 vs the older model

Was wondering if anyone out there in CF land has played the 2018 version of the X7 and the pre-2018 version. I had a couple of the older X7s and now own an X 30. My understanding is the new X7 is larger, is 12 frets to the body (like the x30). Wondering if it is still a 24" scale and wondering about the difference (if any) in the tone of the two instruments.

Thanks for your input.

Frank
Emerald X-20 Custom SS

Life's been good to me so far....
Old 09-30-2019, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transylvania View Post
Was wondering if anyone out there in CF land has played the 2018 version of the X7 and the pre-2018 version. I had a couple of the older X7s and now own an X 30. My understanding is the new X7 is larger, is 12 frets to the body (like the x30). Wondering if it is still a 24" scale and wondering about the difference (if any) in the tone of the two instruments.

Thanks for your input.

Frank
There have been a few threads on this, but I guess one more won't hurt. I had a 2016 (or 2017?) X7 that I bought used to keep an X20 company. Liked it so much I decided I had to try one of the new ones to see if it might be an only acoustic for me - I was barely playing the X20 once I had the X7. The new one has basically an identical neck as the older one, 24", 1.75" nut, 2 1/4" spacing at the saddle. So it plays very much the same except that it's a larger body which some people (me) like more and some people like less - the old one was really tiny. The 12-fret join doesn't seem to make a lot of difference for reaching the upper frets because the whole cutaway configuration has changed a LOT.

In terms of sound, I found the old X7 sounded kind of like the parlor guitar it is, but a really good one - not particularly boxy, but just a bit of that flavor. The new one sounds more like an 00 or 000 to me. In terms of actual volume for listeners or for a mic'd recording, there's not a lot of difference - the new one is a bit louder, but not a lot. But the PERCEIVED volume to the player is vastly different, I'm sure because of the offset soundhole. Both sound holes are located in about the same place, but the old X7 is just projecting the sound forward. The new one projects the sound both forward and UP directly at the player's ears and to the player, it sounds a LOT louder. In that I play mostly for myself and practically never plug in, this matters a lot to me. To others, maybe not.

I loved the new X7 so much I sold the X20 and the old X7 and it was my only acoustic for nearly a year. Just recently added a Martin 000-15SM because I wanted a full-scale acoustic also. And figured as long as I have one carbon fiber I can always leave out and easily available, it will be easy enough dealing with a wood guitar that I can just leave in a case with humdipaks when the humidity gets too high or low. Love both of them. I'm still in the honeymoon with the Martin and it's getting a lot of playing time, but I still pick up the X7 fairly often and am amazed by it every time I do.

-Ray
Old 09-30-2019, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Ray does a good job describing the differences, I've owned both too, the older version may be a bit more comfortable due to the smaller size, but the new version sounds a lot better, less toy like. Both are good guitars, but I MUCH prefer the newer one. I have a 000-15sm too Ray, it may be my mostess favorite guitar I own.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Ray does a good job describing the differences, I've owned both too, the older version may be a bit more comfortable due to the smaller size, but the new version sounds a lot better, less toy like. Both are good guitars, but I MUCH prefer the newer one. I have a 000-15sm too Ray, it may be my mostess favorite guitar I own.
I think the comfort thing is really down to the individual. I know before I got the newer X7, I was a little worried by the number of folks who found the old one more comfortable. But I was relieved to find that I found the new one considerably more comfortable. The old one is so little that I had to get very hunched over it to play it seated (which is 99% how I play anymore). The new one is just bigger enough to make me to sit up a little straighter when I'm playing it and I'm definitely more comfortable for longer sessions than I was with the smaller one. So probably depends somewhat on how you're built, how you tend to hold a guitar, etc. Not sure there's a way to know without trying one.

Too soon to say whether the 000-15SM is gonna be my mostess favoritess guitar - I'm still way too much in the honeymoon phase to be objective. I'm really loving it, but when I occasionally put it down and pick up the X7, it feels really little in comparison, but once I adapt to the difference, there's no drop off in tone or enjoyment. It's different, but just as awesome. I think I may be really lucky to have two acoustic guitars that are pretty much perfect for me...
Old 09-30-2019, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
It's different, but just as awesome. I think I may be really lucky to have two acoustic guitars that are pretty much perfect for me...
And that is exactly what I really like, they are different and both are top notch geetars.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:30 PM

Frank, I own both and love ‘em - each brings something to the table. Ray did a great job articulating the key differences, happy to share more if interested. I love the angelic trebles more on the ‘17 X7, but the woody (almost mahogany-like) tone of the ‘18 X7 is cool too, and the 00-like size is nicer for me.

If you are traveling to the Midwest for any reason, you are welcome to visit and try them both. I’m heading to NC in 2 weeks but in the eastern part, otherwise I’d bring one along for you to check out.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

I wanted to thank everyone for their input--very helpful. Andy, if you own both, that tells me there is enough difference to find one of the newer ones and give it a try out!
Emerald X-20 Custom SS

Life's been good to me so far....
Old 10-02-2019, 05:59 PM

We happen to own two examples of the older X7 with a forward facing sound hole - one bubinga veneer, one koa veneer. My only experience with the newer version was a brief five minute test play at Kramster's house about a year ago. I was more focused on trying the X30 that day however, so my recollections are murky. It was quite nice but that is all I remember.

My petite wife really likes the older & smaller version. The newer one is a little wider and deeper, which I would like, but for her and she was not at all tempted to "trade up".

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber