The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-25-2019, 01:09 PM

Default NGD: McPherson Sable Honeycomb and review

I have been deciding between an Emerald and a McPherson for some time.

I finally was able to obtain a McPherson:

It currently has some medium/light 80/20 bronze nanowebs.

My review

Acoustic tone
It has a great unplugged tone. It is very woody-sounding compared to other carbon fiber guitars. I've played Rainsongs, Composite Acoustics, and a few others. It's not as boxy or mid-rangey as the others I have played. I think the tone is more balanced. Bell-like highs, and a surprisingly decent amount of bass. The upper-mids are very compressed when the guitar is strummed hard. It becomes kind of chimey, but it doesn't get very loud. It is a new sound/feeling, but I find it very pleasant.

I compared it with an Eastman E10OM (Adi/Hog). The volume of the McPherson was about 75% of the Eastman. I strummed my Eastman hard, in comparison to the McPherson, it felt like the guitar was being obnoxious with the way the mids would just project.

Build Quality/Finish
The Sable is very well built. You can tell they are very serious about their quality control. It feels very solid in the hands. I was surprised at how heavy the guitar was, the weight is similar to a wooden guitar. The back/sides seem unfinished and has a rough texture, it almost feels like an Ovation. I wish the rest of it was like the neck, more satin and smooth. It is very easy to play, and comfortable to hold. The cutaway is very nice to have.

The Schaller tuners are nice, but I wish it came with Gotoh 510s. The guitar stays in tune well.

Electronics
The Sable comes equipped with an LR Baggs Element that is custom EQ'd for the Sable. It has a volume and tone wheel. The tone wheel has a center detent, which I'm assuming is for 0 cut/boost. You can turn it either up or down to add or roll off treble. Just from my ear, I estimate the tone wheel value might be centered around 4 khz. I was able to achieve my favorite sound with the wheel just slightly above the center. The pickup is VERY hot compared to my Anthem I have in another guitar. The sound isn't terrible, but is not a good representation of the acoustic tone. Being a piezo, it has some quack and boxiness. I imagine it would be great in a live band setting, as it would cut through.

I plan to install an Anthem SL in it today, and will post an update in a few weeks when I get to try it out with that pickup.

Feel free to ask any questions about the guitar.
Old 09-25-2019, 01:22 PM

Looks great! I've always thought the honeycomb is classy. Looks like you got the EVO frets?

I'm curious how much relief they build into these things. The lack of a truss rod scared me and ultimately turned me to Emerald/Rainsong instead of McP or Composite Acoustics.
Old 09-25-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melt in the Sun View Post
Looks great! I've always thought the honeycomb is classy. Looks like you got the EVO frets?

I'm curious how much relief they build into these things. The lack of a truss rod scared me and ultimately turned me to Emerald/Rainsong instead of McP or Composite Acoustics.
Honestly I'm not sure if it came with the EVO frets. I bought it used from here. It looks to be gold colored frets.

It was actually shipped with the strings fully tuned. I guess only a CF guitar could handle that kind of tension and movement.
Old 09-25-2019, 01:34 PM

Nice buy!!..was just playing my ( not as fancy plain ole ) Sable yesterday...when I was younger... a great guitar.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 09-25-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Nice buy!!..was just playing my ( not as fancy plain ole ) Sable yesterday...when I was younger... a great guitar.
How would you compare the volume of the Sable to other guitars?
Old 09-26-2019, 06:31 AM

Right up there I guess.. sounds loud enough to me for just playing around the house a s I do with all my guitars...
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 09-26-2019, 07:39 AM

I installed some Elixir PB mediums on the guitar last night, as well as an LR Baggs Anthem SL.

I like the tone much more now! It is more balanced, not overly bright, and more woody sounding. The Anthem SL sounds great as always.

I also modified a D'addario NS soundhole tuner by cutting off the lip and used adhesive to mount it in the soundhole. Very stealthy install, and none of the components can be seen from the front.
Old 10-05-2019, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JungWoo View Post

I also modified a D'addario NS soundhole tuner by cutting off the lip and used adhesive to mount it in the soundhole. Very stealthy install, and none of the components can be seen from the front.

Oh that looks cool. Congratulations and thanks for the info...
Old 10-07-2019, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Right up there I guess.. sounds loud enough to me for just playing around the house a s I do with all my guitars...
I wouldn't ask Kramster, of all the time I've been in this section, I don't think I have ever seen Kramster spared even the tiniest critique on his carbon fiber babies.
Lindsay Marcus D - Sitka/Madi RW

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tom Sands Model S (Crystal) - Italian/Fiddleback Hog
Old 10-07-2019, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaroo View Post
I wouldn't ask Kramster, of all the time I've been in this section, I don't think I have ever seen Kramster spared even the tiniest critique on his carbon fiber babies.
True, there is that
Old 10-07-2019, 02:03 PM

Congratulations on the new guitar and very nice detailed description.
Old 10-07-2019, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

Very cool.............
Martin 000-15sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber