The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-22-2019, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
My plan is to try to remove the soundport relatively intact so I can make a cover back up.

Both for the ability to revert back and for the ability to make a cover for the time when travelling and I want to practice quietly. I took a soundhole cover on my last business trip and that proved useful in the hotel.

But yes I am curious as to the impact on the main tone by introducing a soundport. Another reason why I'm thinking smaller might be better.
Maybe, there's a formula or some guidelines available as to how big to make a sound port so as to satisfy your purpose of better hearing your guitar without affecting the overall tone of the guitar? It would be a shame to make the sound port too small so you don't hear the guitar better or too big so that you adversely affect the guitar's tone. Before I did anything, I'd do some research for information on this process. Maybe Stewart-MacDonald or other luthier sources have some instructional material?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-22-2019, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Yes, I would make it small. Maybe 3/4 inch at the largest....presumably that would be enough to hear more of the tone at the player position and have minimal impact on the Helmholz resonance - not sure how to calculate that.
Old 09-25-2019, 01:46 AM

I remember Michael at MacNichols doing soundports on some GXs way back. I actually played one at his store and thought the soundport was a nice addition. If he is still contactable he might be able to offer some advise , or perhaps do it himself.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 09-25-2019, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Thanks everyone for the comments.

TDQ, I'm indebted to you to call McNichols. Michael was generous to a fault sharing his experience. i think it is pretty certain that I'm going to port my OX but it may be a while.

One interesting tidbit from Michael was that the founder of CA felt that the OX was actually his best and favorite CA instrument. I had no idea - I simply let my ear guide me and I thought the OX did sound the best (subjectively speaking) of all the CA I tried.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 09-29-2019, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

So I decided to bite the bullet and go for it today. Used a 1" hole saw cause 3/4 seemed too small and then sanded the edge with 400 grit. I will still think about what I can do for a nicer finish.

I am quite pleased with the result. It sounds more open and like a slightly fuller guitar to me. I have played with covering and uncovering the port.

Also the sound when playing in a corner is much closer to the sound I hear when playing in an open room.

And oddly enough the sidewall is considerably thinner than the soundboard. The soundboard seems oddly thick on the Klos. Will ask them why that is.

IMG_20190929_124901497.jpg

Last edited by Aspiring; 09-29-2019 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-29-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
And oddly enough the sidewall is considerably thinner than the soundboard. The soundboard seems oddly thick on the Klos. Will ask them why that is.

Attachment 27666
CA must not use a spacer in the side buildup, similar to RainSong, as the side gets its stiffness from being curved.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 09-29-2019, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
So I decided to bite the bullet and go for it today. Used a 1" hole saw cause 3/4 seemed too small and then sanded the edge with 400 grit. I will still think about what I can do for a nicer finish.

I am quite pleased with the result. It sounds more open and like a slightly fuller guitar to me. I have played with covering and uncovering the port.

Also the sound when playing in a corner is much closer to the sound I hear when playing in an open room.

Attachment 27666
Nice Job and I'm glad it's all worked out for you for the best!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-29-2019, 06:07 PM
Guest 928

Good experiment!
Old 10-03-2019, 01:16 AM
Charter Member

I think that hole was done on a Klos? Is that correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
CA must not use a spacer in the side buildup, similar to RainSong, as the side gets its stiffness from being curved.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Rainsong tops are a carbon Nomex (Kevlar honeycomb) sandwich. Klos may be the same.

Also you might want to seal the edge of your hole with epoxy resin to keep moisture from entering the laminate.

Last edited by lat18; 10-03-2019 at 07:45 AM.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Correct. I did it in my Klos the op that started this discussion was looking to do similar on a CA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTL View Post
I think that hole was done on a Klos? Is that correct?
Old 10-03-2019, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

Yup. I haven't decided yet whether that is my final shape was the only reason I was holding off. However the layup from looking at it only appears to be either two-three layers of carbon or 2 layers of carbon and some kind of epoxy or resin layer on the inside.

Definitely no sign of any kind of core so my thinking that the risk of any issues from moisture is pretty limited at the moment given its just sitting in my house.

I'm thinking through the options on how I improve on the looks.

One was to elongate it into an oval or fancier shape. Another was to potentially build up a frame around the port out of carbon or similar material.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lat18 View Post
Rainsong tops are a carbon Nomex (Kevlar honeycomb) sandwich. Klos may be the same.

Also you might want to seal the edge of your hole with epoxy resin to keep moisture from entering the laminate.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber