The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-19-2019, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkel12 View Post
Saw this on Rainsong’s Facebook page yesterday. Does anyone have any insight into this model?
That. Is. Gorgeous.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodleFingers View Post
If you go here and click on the picture, it comes up in a much larger version. I think I can see a "spruce-y" grain. I also think the runout-like difference in color between the sides suggests a spruce veneer.

This kind of detective work makes for fun guessing. Can't wait to get more info from RainSong.
I enjoyed looking closely at that... but can't tell if it is wood, or painted to look like wood. We once had a set of fiberglass doors that were produced to look like wood. The sun ultimately did a number on them and the manufacturer suggested using paint and a tool that you would drag down the door, creating a grain look. You had to touch it to know that it wasn't wood. No idea if Rainsong is doing something like that or using a spruce veneer.

Time will tell.
Old 09-24-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
...Are they using a different new neck shape? THAT would be news, welcomed by many that don't like the N2 neck profile.
If they've gone back to the N1 profile I have on my JM1000, or better still adopted a model-specific 1-11/16" spec (the "Nashville" name suggests that it might in fact be oriented toward all them fast-fingered Tele players) I'm in...
Old 09-24-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
(the "Nashville" name suggests that it might in fact be oriented toward all them fast-fingered Tele players) I'm in...
Good point...them pesky fast fingerers

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 09-24-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
If they've gone back to the N1 profile I have on my JM1000, or better still adopted a model-specific 1-11/16" spec....
Since the machined aluminum neck mold for lay-up is at least a $10K item, I doubt we will see a new neck shape any time soon -- you gotta sell a LOT of Rainsong's to recover that investment. There would have to be quite a clamor for that. And a 1-11/16" nut width would be a deal-killer for me regardless of the neck profile. Guess I'll just hang onto my 2001 era WS-1000 with the original N1 neck. I can live with N2, but with my CF needs fully covered I have not purchased one.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Since the machined aluminum neck mold for lay-up is at least a $10K item, I doubt we will see a new neck shape any time soon -- you gotta sell a LOT of Rainsong's to recover that investment. There would have to be quite a clamor for that. And a 1-11/16" nut width would be a deal-killer for me regardless of the neck profile. Guess I'll just hang onto my 2001 era WS-1000 with the original N1 neck. I can live with N2, but with my CF needs fully covered I have not purchased one.
Seems to me with the volume of custom Emeralds getting purchased by this crowd (and maybe 3 custom Emeralds to a neck mold), we could set up one of those crowdsource things to buy RainSong a couple of molds!
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 09-24-2019, 04:49 PM

Maybe it is worth calling Dave at Rainsong to see if there is any interest. Until they feel they are losing too many sales to other CF brands, there is no real impetus to change. The mold is not the only issue anyway. Dealers would need additional SKU's to cover the alternate options, and then which ones will they stock? A custom order through someone like Ted at LA Guitar Sales would cover that issue.

I have mine, so this will have to be someone else's inquiry.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:03 AM

New photo got posted, and it looks like they've really spruced up this model:

https://www.facebook.com/RainSongGui...type=3&theater
Old 09-25-2019, 10:52 AM

RainSong getting into the veneer business? Not a bad idea.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:54 AM

Looks like CN-J as the first letters of the label (or a sloppy CH)? Then they blacked out the rest, on purpose of course. I imagine the end of that model number (N, N2, NS, N3?) would be of interest!

Makes sense that they would stick with spruce veneers, if that's indeed what's going on. Traditional appearance is their MO.
Old 09-25-2019, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

New FB photo...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8F35867B-CBF2-4101-B1D6-0405B616C648.jpg (34.8 KB, 123 views)
Old 09-25-2019, 04:33 PM

Oh man I'm intrigued. Blow up that last image (using your zoom tool) and look closely at how that model number ends. Clearly there is a "2", as most modern RainSongs end in, but what is that other character just to the left of the 2??

That does not look like an "N" to me. What does that mean??

It's hilarious- I don't even Facebook unless it's to gawk at guitars on the various luthier pages and I saw that sound hole pic last night. One guy on there is actually really peeved about RainSong's teasing. It's fun to guess what they are up to no?
Old 09-25-2019, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Clearly there is a "2", as most modern RainSongs end in, but what is that other character just to the left of the 2??

It looks like an F...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 09-26-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Oh man I'm intrigued. Blow up that last image (using your zoom tool) and look closely at how that model number ends. Clearly there is a "2", as most modern RainSongs end in, but what is that other character just to the left of the 2??

That's the serial number. The label on my Rainsongs has the serial number in that spot, the model number is basically fully obscured in the photo. Guess we're still waiting!
Old 09-26-2019, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Another teaser pic on FB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E5DD900A-0EB2-4C58-8478-EAF20A4ECADC.jpg (21.9 KB, 82 views)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber