The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-14-2023, 09:51 AM

Default Neck Attachment Hardware

For those that opt for "bolt-on" neck builds, what are some good hardware choices one might consider.? Bolt, washer, and anchor nut combinations that have proven to be successful in your shop.
Thanks for any suggestions/suppliers.. kb
Old 03-14-2023, 10:07 AM

This is probably all you need https://www.lmii.com/neck-installati...-set-of-2.html
Old 03-14-2023, 01:49 PM

I like to use furniture bolts and the inserts that have the hex key driver.

Old 03-14-2023, 02:01 PM

Redir. do you find a need for adding a washer, or feel that the bolt shoulder will cover the end-block surface area enough.? Also do you use two per instrument on your builds.? Thanks for the (2) replies thus far.. kb
Old 03-14-2023, 02:44 PM

I do not use a washer with those bolts as the large head of the bolt acts as a washer distributing the forces.

While one bolt is probably enough I have followed Taylor's method and their original design and use two. If anything that might help protect it from a blow to the side of the heel.
Old 03-14-2023, 03:06 PM

My local Ace Hardware store always has these in stock and they are much less expensive than what you will pay to guitar supply places.
Old 03-14-2023, 04:37 PM

Default a thought

It's common to use 1/4" bolts for the neck. I can't imagine the need, except they're available about anywhere and they're cheap. I've started using 10-24 cap screws, Belleville washers, and threaded inserts. I encourage anyone starting out to use the smaller bolts and related hardware and skip the quarter-inch stuff.
Old 03-14-2023, 04:46 PM

I suggest installing a 1/2" maple dowel in the heel vertically. That reinforces the heel and distributes the localized stress from the bolt(s). Similarly, I prefer gluing a 1" by 3/16" thick strip of maple or other hard wood vertically on the face of the neck block. Mahogany is not particularly hard, and will indent, even when using a washer or screw with a large head.
I just used a single 10-32 screw into the heel. That is plenty strong, and much lighter than the 1/4" bolt I see being used elsewhere.
Fine threads are also a plus, IMHO.
Old 03-14-2023, 10:12 PM

I am using bolts and inserts like redir has shown. They are quite reasonable on Amazon and aliexpress. About $10 should get you about 10 of each. I think I wound up with 6mm instead of 1/4" but thats pretty close to the same.
Old 03-14-2023, 11:23 PM

I use 10/24 bolts with a brass washer into 10-24 12.7mm X 10mm barrel nuts. Two of each per neck.

The bolts and washers are from Ace Hardware and the barrel nuts I've been using can be found at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The outward pull on the heel under string tension is small so it's not necessary to have massive hardware. Two 10/24 bolts are more than adequate to do the job.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-15-2023, 02:55 AM

Since it hasn't been mentioned -- and you'd think this would be obvious -- make sure that the holes drilled in the neck don't grab the threads. The screws should pass through freely, so the screw behaves like a clamp. I only bring it up because I've seen "famous maker" instruments where they didn't do this.

Couch Standards
Old 03-15-2023, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Since it hasn't been mentioned -- and you'd think this would be obvious -- make sure that the holes drilled in the neck don't grab the threads. The screws should pass through freely, so the screw behaves like a clamp. I only bring it up because I've seen "famous maker" instruments where they didn't do this.
Won't the threaded insert fall out of the neck if the threads don't grab? Or are you using a different hardware. Banjos use hanger bolts threaded directly in wood as well. They need to grab.
Old 03-15-2023, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathand View Post
Won't the threaded insert fall out of the neck if the threads don't grab? Or are you using a different hardware. Banjos use hanger bolts threaded directly in wood as well. They need to grab.
He's referring to avoiding the bolt threads grabbing the wood. You only want the bolt threads grabbing the nut, or threaded insert as the case may be.

The bolt threads should be grabbing metal, not wood.
Old 03-15-2023, 03:45 PM

I use the knock down 1/4"x20 furniture bolts redir shows, combined with two of the longer barrel nuts embedded in the heel tenon. These are technically called cross dowel nuts, and the longer ones are far better at distributing the force within the heel tenon.

I've seen way too many of those threaded inserts pull out of the heel wood. I have seen so many of those goofy banjo setups with loose necks it's not funny any longer. IMHO it's poor design to anchor anything into end grain and to expect it to hold. The furniture manufacturers know better than to do that, so take a clue from them.

Old 03-15-2023, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywalker View Post
He's referring to avoiding the bolt threads grabbing the wood. You only want the bolt threads grabbing the nut, or threaded insert as the case may be.

The bolt threads should be grabbing metal, not wood.
Thanks for clarifying that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair