The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
Yes, bikes! I've been a road cyclist for decades. Had my share of crashes. Took up mountain biking a year ago. Great fun, many broken bones, though.

I'm thinking mountain biking in the Texas hill country, but would also happily consider road cycling.
Cycling and guitars in one thread! Oh my.

Old 11-20-2018, 01:47 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default B.I.G. 2019!!! Program updates announcements!!!!

I'm currently on vacation, with my wife and son, in Asheville, North Carolina. Today I took the morning and visited Dream Guitars...Paul wasn't there, but Logan spent 2-1/2 hours showing me around. I'll post more later...but wanted to say that I played guitars made by Jason Kostal, Ben Wilborn and Bruce Sexauer. Along with my intimate knowledge of Edwinson guitars, I can say (with no reservation whatsoever) everyone who is attending The B.I.G. Is in for a wonderful time. I've never had an experience, such as this, in my lifetime...

Thank you Logan, and Dream Guitars. I'll never forget today...and look forward to meeting the men who built the fantastic guitars that I was able to play today.

Here's a Jason Kostal (because posts without pics are frowned upon)...

IMG_1988.jpg

PS...there wasn't a Steve Kinnaird in inventory...and Ben Wilborn you got some good news while I was there [emoji6]

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS

Last edited by Joel Teel; 11-20-2018 at 02:16 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

I mailed my check yesterday and look forward to attending B.I.G.!! Its going to be YUGE!!.....LOL!!!
  • Takamine 2006 Ltd.
  • Takamine EAC48C
  • Takamine ESF40C
  • Tama #3561 Dread
  • Whelan Dreadnought
  • Whelan Grand Auditorium
  • Yamaki YW-80
Old 11-20-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
Really looking forward to this

But, all guitars, all the time? Nah. I'll likely be flying into Austin a few days before the big event to have some cool folks play the went-to-war guitar for the eventual documentary film.

And, well, there are some very cool mountain biking sites between Austin and Tom's house. Check this out. Anyone else up for risking your limbs and digits with me on a mountain bike?
I'm no longer a cyclist (bum knees since forever), but I'm familiar with most of these spots as a birder and hiker, and highly recommend Pedernales State Park. I've hiked part of the off-road loop (we used to camp out that way) and it's challenging without being life-threatening. The paved road is long enough for a nice scenic, easy ride. This park is also more or less on the route from Austin to Tom's place.

Check out these recommendations on a map. Not all of them are actually in the Hill Country - if they are east of Austin, it's less interesting (and challenging) habitat. Not that they don't have their own attractions!

Anyone interested in exploring the area outdoors in a less strenuous fashion, I'd be happy to take a few folks birding. By late March our endemic warblers and vireos have returned!
Old 11-20-2018, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

Smile Birders! Mountain Bikers, hikers, AND GUITARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
I'm no longer a cyclist (bum knees since forever), but I'm familiar with most of these spots as a birder and hiker, and highly recommend Pedernales State Park. I've hiked part of the off-road loop (we used to camp out that way) and it's challenging without being life-threatening. The paved road is long enough for a nice scenic, easy ride. This park is also more or less on the route from Austin to Tom's place.

Check out these recommendations on a map. Not all of them are actually in the Hill Country - if they are east of Austin, it's less interesting (and challenging) habitat. Not that they don't have their own attractions!

Anyone interested in exploring the area outdoors in a less strenuous fashion, I'd be happy to take a few folks birding. By late March our endemic warblers and vireos have returned!
My wife, Cindy, may take you up on a birding adventure. I will let her know.
This will be so fun!!!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 11-20-2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Cycling and guitars in one thread! Oh my.

I have not biked for a while, but even I know that thing is sexy!!!
Old 11-20-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Teel View Post
I'm currently on vacation, with my wife and son, in Asheville, North Carolina. Today I took the morning and visited Dream Guitars...Paul wasn't there, but Logan spent 2-1/2 hours showing me around. I'll post more later...but wanted to say that I played guitars made by Jason Kostal, Ben Wilborn and Bruce Sexauer. Along with my intimate knowledge of Edwinson guitars, I can say (with no reservation whatsoever) everyone who is attending The B.I.G. Is in for a wonderful time. I've never had an experience, such as this, in my lifetime...

Thank you Logan, and Dream Guitars. I'll never forget today...and look forward to meeting the men who built the fantastic guitars that I was able to play today.

Here's a Jason Kostal (because posts without pics are frowned upon)...

Attachment 15682

PS...there wasn't a Steve Kinnaird in inventory...and Ben Wilborn you got some good news while I was there [emoji6]
Wow, that is a really cool day Joel! Thanks for the feedback on the instruments you played as well. Yes, I think we have attracted a fine group of luthiers, I mean really really fine and you are included in that!

Thanks for the update, I am getting so excited.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhelan56 View Post
I mailed my check yesterday and look forward to attending B.I.G.!! Its going to be YUGE!!.....LOL!!!
WOOT WOOT, so glad to have you coming!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
My wife, Cindy, may take you up on a birding adventure. I will let her know.
This will be so fun!!!

Paul

Look at the great group of folks we are assembling. Now you guys are taking the B.I.G. to a whole new level, ie. pre-B.I.G. activities! Biking, Birding, Collings tour. I told you there was a lot to do around here!

Our hearts are really into this event and the way you guys are embracing it really makes Kathy and I really happy and pleased!!!! We thank you all.

Tom and K
Old 11-20-2018, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

Default B.I.G. Extracirricular

For anyone coming to the Hill Country a day or so before B.I.G begins, in addition to biking, birding and Collings tour, you may want to check out some of the Texas wineries in the Hill country that are in "day trip" range. Some are quite potable
Old 11-21-2018, 04:31 AM

Quote:

Thanks! Fabulous information.

Oh, and I'm a cyclist precisely because of my bum knees. I was a long-time runner (70 miles/week sort of runner) and burned out my knees. I turned to road cycling a decade and a half ago and now have branched out to mountain biking.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodahdoug View Post
For anyone coming to the Hill Country a day or so before B.I.G begins, in addition to biking, birding and Collings tour, you may want to check out some of the Texas wineries in the Hill country that are in "day trip" range. Some are quite potable

I can second this and if people would like some specific suggestions Kathy and I may be able to help along those lines. We have done a few and the last one that Kathy did was really good! And as an aside, we have already ordered and received the wine for party, some nice stuff I believe. A nice glass of wine, under the trees and stars, listening to some music from some very talented players, yeah, that should not suck.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

It will be awesome to have some good wine for the "mouth agape" corner--Might as well have some vino going in rather than all that drool coming out!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 11-21-2018, 01:03 PM

Not sure about bringing a guitar and a bike on a flight.

I've been a racer for about 10 years. I have done way more with cycling than guitar. Road racers get a bad rap for being an exclusive club. They were substantially more welcoming than local musicians.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
Not sure about bringing a guitar and a bike on a flight.
Yeah. I'm gonna rent a bicycle.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

My wife and I are looking forward to attending as well! Thanks for the nudge Doug!
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop