The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-20-2019, 01:12 PM

Default Budget recording equipment for acoustic guitar + vocal

Hi!
Im looking for some budget recording equipment for vocal+acoustic guitar. Is the Zoom H2N a good choice? And what software should I choose? Free or paid?

Thanks
Old 08-20-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farantouri View Post
Hi!
Im looking for some budget recording equipment for vocal+acoustic guitar. Is the Zoom H2N a good choice? And what software should I choose? Free or paid?
The Zoom would work. It just records in wav or mp3, so you don't really need any additional software. Download it to your computer and play it, send it, or upload it to soundcloud, for example. If you want to add additional tracks - play along with what you've recorded - yeah, you'll have to get some "studio" software. There's a learning curve, but I got cubase elements for less than 100 bucks. I love multitracking!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 08-20-2019, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

If you already have a computer there are several free DAWS (Digital audio work station..or in other words the software)

For PC I like Sonar Calkwalk, which was recently picked up by band labs and is a free download. If is a fully functional studio in a box. But as with most DAWS there is a bit of a learning curve, at least when it comes to the more advanced functions

You can get a USB mic (around $90-$200) and a set of head phones or powered speakers and your good to go

Though not optimal for high end recording some of the USB mics sound decent.

Also, it would help to get a a better sense of what your budget is.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 08-21-2019 at 05:15 AM.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:21 AM

Your post isn't clear on what. If anything, you already have. I'll assume your guitar plugs in and you have no mic. A week or so ago, in this forum, I posted about the Yamaha AG06 - a usb mixer. The AG03 would do the trick for you and well. For $149, you get a nice USB-powered mixer which a few (editable) effects and terrific mic pro's. Plus, Cubase download comes with the mixer. As for a vocal mic, with this mixer you could use any mic you like -- dynamic or condenser.

If your guitar doesn't plug in, then you'd have to go with the AG06 to get another XLR for a mic for the guitar. It's only $50 more.

I have used Audacity (a free DAW) for years and have had good results with a variety of ways of getting the sound to it -- mixers to an interface (Presonus), mixer direct in to computer, USB mixer, Yamaha THR amp (USB), heck I even ran a mic into that amp and with double tracking I did vocals through it too!

Lots of ways to go. Just depends on what you have already.

If you could give us an idea of any gear you already have, i.e. your guitar and it's pickups, any vocal mic(s) you have, pc or mac.

I have a Tascam DR40 and have found the handheld recorders to be ok, but I've gotten the best results using a sound mixer to the computer.

One of the cheapest ways to go is to get a USB mic and use it with a free DAW, like Audacity. I highly recommend the Audio Technica ATR2100. Very quiet (no handling noise) mic with a sweet feature that allows monitoring as you go when using the USB connection. You could (with double tracking) use it for your guitar and vocals.

Last edited by YamahaGuy; 08-21-2019 at 06:27 AM.
Old 08-27-2019, 05:40 AM

The Zoom H2N is a pretty nifty machine — I have one alongside a bigger H6.

If you want to make basic — but reasonable — recordings then this little recorder might be what you want. Here is an acoustic recording made with mine:

http://www.andyhowell.info/files/H2N-Demo.mp3

This was recorded using the built in mic and processed in the computer with a little reverb. This must have taken me no more than 3 or 4 minutes.

I have a recording of vocals and guitar somewhere I'll try and dig out.

This recorder fits on top of a video tripod which is useful. I also use mine with a portable Sony mic which has a mini jack connector and which gives really good sound.

Any of the free versions of the DAW software should be OK for guitar and vocals.
Martin J40
Old 08-27-2019, 09:07 AM

farantouri, I just ordered a Zoom H2N, which comes with Steinberg's WaveLab LE 7 editing software. Don't know how easy it'll be to use, for my "no experience" recording/editing skill level. We'll see how I end up doing with it. I've only recorded my guitar playing with a Droid phone, so hoping this will be a step up. I'll let you know how it goes when it arrives.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Any of the zooms would be great choice and a big step up from using a phone.

I have used mine with Audacity, a free DAW. Works great.

I am currently using a camera cord (about 30 bucks online) with a usb input and lightening connector output to run the zoom internal mics directly into my ipad. You may need a usb data hub to boost the output (I did, 20 bucks online). I don't overdub or edit, so music memos is a dead simple app from which I can share to text, email or soundcloud. If I want to do any simple processing I can send it to garageband for that. This setup is more portable, quieter and a little simpler than using the desktop. Audacity probably has a lot more features than the free Apple software, but I don't use/need them.

Love the zooms, very versatile and the mics are pretty good for hobby recordings.

Last edited by reeve21; 09-04-2019 at 01:48 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD