The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-01-2020, 10:31 PM

Default Breedlove Natural Sound (Microsonic VT HD 2-AAA)

Anyone have any familiarity with this pickup system? Thanks.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:33 AM

I'd like to bump this. I've got the same question.
Old 07-27-2020, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

From Premier Guitar review of the Breedlove Wildwood Concert guitar:

"The guitar is equipped with Breedlove Natural Sound electronics—a version of Shadow Electronics’ Micro-Sonic VT HD undersaddle pickup and preamp. Two wheels for adjusting volume and tone are affixed to the interior side of the sound hole. It takes two AAA batteries, and the input jack is located in the endpin.

It’s always nice to have a reliable acoustic pickup, and this one does not disappoint. It effectively communicates the guitar’s even harmonic range without any adjustment to the tone control. It also has a cool, idiosyncratic, almost reverberative response to top tapping that I can see percussive players using to their advantage. The Natural Sound System’s voice is also well suited to using effects, including gain. (And what’s more fun than playing a steel-string acoustic with a little crunch?) But the real strength of the Natural Sound System is the excellent balance and detail that becomes apparent onstage. It effectively erased my misgivings about the overtones I missed in the high end. In fact, the guitar sounded even more balanced across all harmonic ranges when amplified, and when I really needed to dig in volume-wise, it had more than enough headroom to communicate detail without sounding brittle."
Old 07-28-2020, 11:17 PM
Charter Member

Well, it's good to see Breedlove getting away from using the Baggs Element that's been in their USA-built guitars for a long time... I'm not a fan of that "squishy" covering on the UST; my experience is that it is an absolute TONE and VOLUME KILLER on good acoustic guitars...

Of course, if it's in the guitar when new, it would be difficult to tell how much effect it's having... until you take it out.

Shadow pickups have a very good reputation; they've been around for a long time, without a lot of fanfare...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 07-29-2020, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

After talking with my local "Breedlove expert", it seems that that pickup is only used in the Organic Series guitars, which are built overseas... the Bend factory still favors the Baggs Element...

...sigh...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 01-28-2022, 03:12 PM

Does this pickup system sound any better than say a Baggs Element or a Fishman Sonitone?

thanks
Old 01-29-2022, 09:46 AM

For those of you living in the US, Shadow USA has really good prices on a lot of their pickups at the moment. Go check it out: https://shadowelectronics.com/collections/all-acoustic

I'm living in Sweden though, and they don't ship here. And their German site is not working (!?!). But I just ordered a SH141 single-coil magnetic pickup on Amazon, shipping from Germany... looking forward to try it out.

/Per

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification